Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

GDPR WHAT TO DO?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Interesting thoughts. But I feel this is going a little too far. I wonder how 'reasonable' would be defined with regard to GDPR enforcement. I would have no problem with mentioning to another customer what a lovely conservatory roof Tracy has, but I certainly wouldn't say anything about any of Tracy's property or disclose anything personal about Tracy. But would I be breaking the rules if I mentioned how good Tracy was at cake decoration. If this is taken to the ultimate, then we could be infringing on another's personal data by asking a customer if they have any firends living close by that would also appreciate/make use of our services (networking). So what happens to breakfast clubs?

We do windows for a couple who both work for the NHS in different fields. They do discuss issues with each other when relevant, but they always start by saying, "I have a patient who ........." They never mention a name but they can discuss a case. That I understand.
I recently asked a carer how our very ill, frail neighbour was. Her response was; "she just lives there, why not knock on the door, speak to her and ask her yourself how she is." On reflection, that was a good answer.

I someone asks me if I can recommend a good painter and decorator, what reply can I give that person? "Yes, but considering new GDPR regulations, I'm not at liberty to give you his name, his address or a number to contact him on." Then am I also breaking the rules by not being gender neutral?

Yeah I was talking extreme but to the letter of the law you have no right to discuss anything about other customers if you have a relationship.

The company I left that started firing this training at me a year ago did hire purchase goods, one scenario is that a customer is in paying and another buying a telly, you know that the customer purchasing has the same telly but you are no longer allowed to say “you’ve got one of these haven’t you Jan”.... if however they questioned the service you could say “ask Jan what she thinks of our company, she’s been a customer for years”... this is because it is assumed common knowledge that she is a customer, she can been seen making payment in the store.

With this in mind it is assumed common knowledge that Tracy has a certain window type or a type of conservatory roof as it is outside her property and anyone can see it. It’s not assumed that Tracey has roof blinds fitted to her velux last week that you can tell the customer about because they can’t see them... this is getting down to nitty gritty stuff and to be fair the actual thing you are giving away is the customers name and address... personally I’m just gonna crack on as I am. I don’t use the customers details for anything other than cleaning their windows and I don’t send marketing so happy days!!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Yeah I was talking extreme but to the letter of the law you have no right to discuss anything about other customers if you have a relationship.

The company I left that started firing this training at me a year ago did hire purchase goods, one scenario is that a customer is in paying and another buying a telly, you know that the customer purchasing has the same telly but you are no longer allowed to say “you’ve got one of these haven’t you Jan”.... if however they questioned the service you could say “ask Jan what she thinks of our company, she’s been a customer for years”... this is because it is assumed common knowledge that she is a customer, she can been seen making payment in the store.

With this in mind it is assumed common knowledge that Tracy has a certain window type or a type of conservatory roof as it is outside her property and anyone can see it. It’s not assumed that Tracey has roof blinds fitted to her velux last week that you can tell the customer about because they can’t see them... this is getting down to nitty gritty stuff and to be fair the actual thing you are giving away is the customers name and address... personally I’m just gonna crack on as I am. I don’t use the customers details for anything other than cleaning their windows and I don’t send marketing so happy days!!

How do you know Tracey has velux blinds [emoji848], Is this in the real world or the virtual world you told me you weren't playing Sims anymore [emoji23][emoji23]

County Durham Lad

How do you know Tracey has velux blinds
emoji848.png
, Is this in the real world or the virtual world you told me you weren't playing Sims anymore
emoji23.png
emoji23.png

County Durham Lad

Yeah but the Sims 4 is free with my origin subscription and i'm bored of playing Battlefield now ?

If its about passing on customers information sold or freely given then surely most of us do it when we use a planner as we are using something which we input customer information but the owners of site such as Awoka or cleaner planner can access this information .

Wife went to hairdressers yesterday and had to sign a form a form saying she accepted them storing her information and all they have is name address and phone number .

Clients name, address, phone and email are stored on password protected off site servers - Cleaner Planner - You have so little chance of hacking my password no worries there. Even if you do this is a deliberate hack and not me carelessly sharing information. 

Payment info is handled by GoCardless whom im sure have paid a fat lawyer somewhere to ensure they are compliant so no worries there. 

So what I wonder is what happens when your round list (for those still keeping note books) falls out your back pocket in Costa with 300 customers details in it. 

Are you then looking at 300 breaches of GDPR rules? 
Fat chance of that happening with me. Alls I keep in my book are house numbers and prices. Very rare I even write in the street names as I know my book inside out. No need for names, numbers and various other info. I do my accounting on a cash basis so no need to record every little detail of every job, just what the takings are every week.

Then perhaps turn the games off and go for a drive and perhaps...... maybee.... oh I don't know,.......... collect an IBC you asked for?    Just a thought!  [emoji6]
c671a897813be51987f0ea9fc0e5e526.jpg

Burn haha.

In my defence I’m still waiting for the new van that will actually fit it but if the email I’ve just read is correct then that ain’t here till 7th June. Might be able to get some help unloading my tank from this one and then it will fit

I had a good chat with one of my good friends who runs a branding and website building business. He’s for obvious reasons had to find out exactly what it means. He said first of all the ICO, the company in charge of governing it, investigated 34 companies world wide last year in regards to GDPR, that’s 34 companies in the whole world were investigated. He said that even though these new updated laws have come in they still will only investigate companies who have had thousands of complaints in regards to selling peoples data etc. I’ve heard scare stories on FB from people saying all it takes is a bitter ex customer to dob you in and that’s it you’ll be investigated. This won’t happen, we needent over worry ourselves. As has been mentioned the main GDPR laws are focused on either selling customers data, or using their details to send them newsletters and marketing materials, you need explicit consent for this. I don’t do any of this. Other than that all I’m worrying about is having a couple of documents ready just to outline what data I hold, why I hold it, how I keep my customers data secure and what I would do in case of a breach. Then in the extremely unlikely event I am investigated I can show exactly what’s what and that I only keep necessary data for the sole purpose of carrying out my business activities.

Latest Posts

Back