Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice for a potential newbie female window cleaner

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi everyone
So would really like to hear from both male and female window cleaners on the reality of the job.
My partner has his own round and I’m thinking of setting up my own round.
He is worried that I’m really going to find it really hard. Especially in winter as I do feel the cold really badly.
He’s worried about be lifting the reel in and out as I’m only 5ft 1. I’m currently a dance teacher so quite fit and love what I do but I need something that I can be at home on an evening for my kids.
My partner is worried about the physical aspect and also the mental side as he says he finds it mind numbing.
Do you guys enjoy it, how difficult is it. Please be blunt, no sugar coating.
Thank you ☺️
It sounds like your partner is worried that you may be better than him

In all seriousness working in winter can often feel depressing as hell when it's dark, raining sideways and ice cold with 60mph winds

It's not a job for the light hearted or something that's at all easy regardless of gender, it takes determination & grit over physical ability

Not a cheap business to start and it will need your undivided attention to make it a success.

If you feel the cold it will get to you quickly. No matter how many base layers and gloves you wear it will break you.

It can be physically challenging at times depending on the job and yes mind numbing as you can go a whole day without really speaking to anyone if you are in paid employment now that's easy you have set hours no chasing money and 4-5 weeks paid holiday a year,

My wife wanted to work with me in the past I talked her out of it, first off it was the amount of extra work I'd have to generate to cover her wages along with the investment required to get a 2 person set up, which would have been wasted money if she didn't like it,

she hates spiders and daddy longlegs she'd have been freaked out more times in the day on most houses and because we have a dog who is used to a set time for walks my wife was under the impression she could finish for the day at 1.30pm which would have meant me driving her home and in my opinion wasting time.

Thankfully after being in the same job for almost 20 years and then having to change jobs 3 times she now has a job she really likes, no early starts and home not much after 1pm and I get to keep my solitude and sanity.
Hey thanks for the advice. Being a dance teacher I’m used to chasing money.. I love being self employed. Bless her.. I’m not scared of spiders or insects. I’d be setting up on my own not with my partner.. I’m fiercely independent so this will be my venture 😊

Hey thanks for the advice. Being a dance teacher I’m used to chasing money.. I love being self employed. Bless her.. I’m not scared of spiders or insects. I’d be setting up on my own not with my partner.. I’m fiercely independent so this will be my venture 😊
Good to hear, you might have to work with him for a while until you build up your own rounds, also there are a few tips and tricks that are second nature as within any job far better to get as much experience as possible as it will make things go so much easier.

How does this work with rear barn doors please?
It hooks round the metal on the door latch and screws down to secure it and the eye on the end is what the lock closes over instead of the bit the device is connected to
Basically lets you lock it with the door open a couple inches
Same as this pic but on both doors rather than boot and bootlid

Attachments

• IMG_2405.png
    IMG_2405.png
    313.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi everyone
So would really like to hear from both male and female window cleaners on the reality of the job.
My partner has his own round and I’m thinking of setting up my own round.
He is worried that I’m really going to find it really hard. Especially in winter as I do feel the cold really badly.
He’s worried about be lifting the reel in and out as I’m only 5ft 1. I’m currently a dance teacher so quite fit and love what I do but I need something that I can be at home on an evening for my kids.
My partner is worried about the physical aspect and also the mental side as he says he finds it mind numbing.
Do you guys enjoy it, how difficult is it. Please be blunt, no sugar coating.
Thank you ☺️
Late to the party here, but I know a couple of female window cleaners and they all seem to do well! One took half her ex’s round in the divorce & it’s supported her needs ever since. The other two, twins, they ended up running their dad’s business after he had some serious health issues & was in hospital for some time (he’s better now but they kept it afloat while he wasn’t). So it for sure can be done! Like others have said, best thing to do is to go out and try it. 🙂

My wife ran my business with my son while I was recovering from a broken leg and ankle fusion.
Yes she found it physically hard at 49 and this was in December through to spring the worst bit for her was the winter weather and a few patronising customers about her doing the job.
She still does a day or two as needed. Take your time get it right and you’ll be fine.

Ankle fusion - that's a *****!
How you getting on now?

Back