Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Generator Questions

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ok so I've done a few since last post using a gennie and I'm averaging 1hr 20 mins using all the advice people have helped me with here, not great but an improvement from before however today I barely got an hour because I had a job with a lot of leaves and muck blocking up the poles and vac so spent quite a bit of time intermittently clearing it out but all the while gennie is going, so my question now is can it be turned off each time I have to do this? obviously observing the process of disconnecting the load etc each time.   
Yes, if it's key start then you'll have to make sure battery is charged though.

Yeah I thought so, just looking for ways prolong the time I've got power.

Its a Honda 2.2 KA /2.7KVA, 3.6L tank powering an Atom.

Yes as instructed definitely doing that with the choke and fuel lever.

Its a recoil start.

Yeah I thought so, just looking for ways prolong the time I've got power.

Its a Honda 2.2 KA /2.7KVA, 3.6L tank powering an Atom.

Yes as instructed definitely doing that with the choke and fuel lever.

Its a recoil start.
So you have a 2.2kva generator running a skyvac atom rated at 1600w which is a resistive load. Constant blockages which are decreasing the vacs performance and I bet the generator is reving its nuts off as the vac blocks up causing the generators AVR to demand more fuel and rev higher which in turn is reducing it's overall run time.

A lot people just see a generator as the same as a house socket 230v but do not understand the current draw. 

From the posts you've created and explanations you've listed it sounds to me as your generator is under powered or seriously unhealthy 

Thanks APW, so underpowered meaning needing more fuel I presume just will take more time to complete jobs, unhealthy that's a worry but I have a friend who is very good grease monkey so gonna let him have look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks APW, so underpowered meaning needing more fuel I presume just will take more time to complete jobs, unhealthy that's a worry but I have a friend who is very good grease monkey so gonna let him have look at it.
With regards to under powered I mean your generator is too small for the job in hand. 

The skyvac is rated at 1600w thats the motor running with the vac turned on and nothing being drawn into it other than fresh air. The minute its sucking grud from a gutter it's working harder 

The generator is listed as 2.7ka maximum peak, peak means short term as to running a motor at start.

2.2kw = 2200w is the normal long term running load 

With your vac working hard the generator is running hard

Your fuel usage is increasing 

I'd personally recommend using a larger generator with a larger tank.

For example 

I have two of these clarke 3400W generators with 13L fuel tanks

These are great and would cover your loading requirements 

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ig3500af-34kw-open-frame-inverter-gener/?da=1&TC=GS-010617125&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6KLjuMnI7AIV14BQBh3Y-QpREAQYASABEgLcw_D_BwE

So you have a 2.2kva generator running a skyvac atom rated at 1600w which is a resistive load. Constant blockages which are decreasing the vacs performance and I bet the generator is reving its nuts off as the vac blocks up causing the generators AVR to demand more fuel and rev higher which in turn is reducing it's overall run time.

A lot people just see a generator as the same as a house socket 230v but do not understand the current draw. 

From the posts you've created and explanations you've listed it sounds to me as your generator is under powered or seriously unhealthy 
I don’t  understand this huge fuel consumption it’s not right I had a Honda stephill 5 kva genie running a omnivac 3600 watt vac and it would run flat out all day on less than 5ltr of fuel , I dont know if he has a faulty genie or is doing something wrong but having had over a dozen genies over the years in various sizes I have never had anything that drinks fuel like he is saying , Evan my v twin Briggs and Stratton pressurewasher which is 21 ltr and 275 bars running flat out uses less fuel than what this guy is using . 

See this is what I don't get before buying I double-checked with the company that this gennie would power the machine I was buying they confirmed it would plus its on their website saying the same, so surely from sales pov they would rather sell me a bigger more expensive gennie if this one I got didn't work properly which leads me to believe that something isn't right technically like I said gonna have someone else look at it.

The skyvac is rated at 1600w thats the motor running with the vac turned on and nothing being drawn into it other than fresh air. The minute its sucking grud from a gutter it's working harder 
I always thought the power label on equipment was max power not no load power? 

I agree that the more power you pull from a geny the more fuel you will use. 

Using a tank within 90 mins does seem very short. Does the spec give you an idea, something like X hrs running at 75% load?

By the sound of it it's using way too much fuel. Have you had a look at the spark plug? My guess is it's black and sooty. It's almost like it's on permanent choke. Ask your mate to have a look and see if choke is working. 

Just looking at cheap Clarke 2.2kw geny (https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-pg2500a-euro5-22kva-320v-petrol-generat/) and it says at 75% load it runs for 10.6 hrs on 15 liters. So about 3 gallons. How big is your tank?

Just found your geny I think 2.7Kw max 2,2kw nominal Stephill with Honda gx160 engine. It says Running Time: 3.1hours @ 75% load but it says fuel tank capacity 3.1 liters !!!!!! So I would expect at least 2hrs at full load. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looking at cheap Clarke 2.2kw geny (https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-pg2500a-euro5-22kva-320v-petrol-generat/) and it says at 75% load it runs for 10.6 hrs on 15 liters. So about 3 gallons. How big is your tank?

Just found your geny I think 2.7Kw max 2,2kw nominal Stephill with Honda gx160 engine. It says Running Time: 3.1hours @ 75% load but it says fuel tank capacity 3.1 liters !!!!!! So I would expect at least 2hrs at full load. 
I personally think he's confused with the direction or use of the choke or there's no air filter in it 

Thanks for everyone's input on this, I will take it for an inspection as I know following previous advice on here I've prepped it correctly before starting it up.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps because its running out of juice I don't always have time to do the unplugging of things before it cuts out, could that be the problem in terms of the machine not performing properly?

I don't think there's a fuel leak as haven't noticed anything like that, there is an air filter I've checked that and I'm going to check the spark plug first thing tomorrow. 

It is a bit weird that it uses it's fuel so quickly.

When people say remove the load you just need to switch the load off. Physical disconnection isn't necessary. So just switch the motor off!

Thanks for everyone's input on this, I will take it for an inspection as I know following previous advice on here I've prepped it correctly before starting it up.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps because its running out of juice I don't always have time to do the unplugging of things before it cuts out, could that be the problem in terms of the machine not performing properly?

I don't think there's a fuel leak as haven't noticed anything like that, there is an air filter I've checked that and I'm going to check the spark plug first thing tomorrow. 
I think that your spark plug may be loaded with heavy carbon deposits after your initial issues with your choke. If you remove the spark plug and give it a clean with some petrol soaked rag and dry it off it should be okay to put back in. Do not drop it or bend the ground electrode as you'll mess up the spark gap. 

A dirty spark plug will cause running inefficiency and worth check.

If you've removed or installed a spark plug before it's only got to be hand tight. Do not wrench the hell out of it

Back