Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Why do some windows rinse differently?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Different coatings on the glass.

Some repel water looking like polished glass when you put water on them (hydrophobic) and others break down the skin on water making it stick to the glass (hydrophilic) the glass remains wet when you apply water.

What you prefer when cleaning windows seems very much a personal thing. My preference is hydrophobic.

glass is either hydrophilic (water loving) or hydrophobic (water hating) sometimes a pane can be a mixture of the two in places,

when new glass is hydrophilic and theres many suggestions as to why some panes become hydrophobic over time but no-one has a clear and consise answer to why this happens although pollutants on the surface of the glass is the easiest explanation simon.

Different coatings on the glass.

Some repel water looking like polished glass when you put water on them (hydrophobic) and others break down the skin on water making it stick to the glass (hydrophilic) the glass remains wet when you apply water.

What you prefer when cleaning windows seems very much a personal thing. My preference is hydrophobic.
As far as i am aware from researching normal window glass has no coating.. it is all to do with how it has been floated (the way liquid glass is made flat by floating it on liquid metal.. usually tin )

Irrelevant fact really but thought i would put it out there lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well put that Dave. Knew about phobic n philic. But the actual process etc! Nope!...
Love to learn something new every day and that'll sound super smart if a custy asks me why there different.
Tell all my custys that window cleaning now days is more chemistry and alchemy.
True story bro.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

They use molten tin and the molten glass floats on top which is how they get it uniform thickness as like water it will find it's own level

As to why some glass is phobic and some is phyllic all i can surmise is the process must be slightly different or a different metal ie: lead is used sometimes etc

Weird how some glass can be both in different places on the same piece though

Latest Posts

Back