Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Still need help with this issue

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CleanDeeper

Hey guys,

I asked a while back for some help with some hard to clean Velux windows on a newish extension. I’ve tried applying Viakal leaving for a few minutes and cleaning off with the pole but no joy. I’m going to order one of them cleaning pads for my Gardiner pole from Gardiner. I’m just wondering if I should use something stronger? I’ve attached some fresh images, you can see water because it was after a clean.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_5311.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5312.jpeg
    IMG_5312.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 18
If they're desperate for it to be removed and you're willing the best bet would be ladder inside the extension and flip the window and use a scraper/0000 bronze/steel wool with viakal or your choice of hard water stain remover. Just looks like it's not been cleaned for a few years since installation and chems with a brush at 10-25ft extension just hasn't got the scrubbing power.

Do you use hot water btw? ?? I know it's the holy Grail for many for removal of stubborn stains.

Seriously though nose to glass might be only way to tell whether it's something you can remove or is it's etched on the glass advise the custard of such and suggest they get a quote for a replacement unit.

If they're desperate for it to be removed and you're willing the best bet would be ladder inside the extension and flip the window and use a scraper/0000 bronze/steel wool with viakal or your choice of hard water stain remover. Just looks like it's not been cleaned for a few years since installation and chems with a brush at 10-25ft extension just hasn't got the scrubbing power.

Do you use hot water btw? ?? I know it's the holy Grail for many for removal of stubborn stains.

Seriously though nose to glass might be only way to tell whether it's something you can remove or is it's etched on the glass advise the custard of such and suggest they get a quote for a replacement unit.
No I don’t use hot water, maybe one day when I’m earning enough ?. I might try using the scrub pad from Gardiner before trying to get a ladder up.

Possibly a coating on the glass that’s broken down if it’s an older panel. When we bought our current house half the panes were like this. Tried everything before I realised what it was. Replacement is the only answer if that’s what it is.

Possibly a coating on the glass that’s broken down if it’s an older panel. When we bought our current house half the panes were like this. Tried everything before I realised what it was. Replacement is the only answer if that’s what it is.
Thanks for your feedback, the customer just says the expected “they are almost new” ?

Ah. Sorry in that case. Look exactly like mine I even thought I could scrape the old coating off but can’t do that either. Not that I’d recommend you try that on a customers. ?
Thanks, I think I’ll just buy the pad from Gardiner for what it’s worth, it will come in handy. I’ll give it a go.

Someone mentioned in my last thread to try it on the velux with the issues I’m having, would you say it’s fine for glass?
It's fine on glass unless it's coated! It should allow you to put a bit more pressure on the glass than a brush. Plus you can put chemicals on it, so that might help. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

It's fine on glass unless it's coated! It should allow you to put a bit more pressure on the glass than a brush. Plus you can put chemicals on it, so that might help. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Yeah that’s my thoughts really is to apply more pressure than the brush, I’m at an awkward angle with my SLX 27 at about 75% length to reach them from the ground. I don’t carry ladders or plan to ideally, which the customer knew before I took the job.

Yeah that’s my thoughts really is to apply more pressure than the brush, I’m at an awkward angle with my SLX 27 at about 75% length to reach them from the ground. I don’t carry ladders or plan to ideally, which the customer knew before I took the job.
I don't use ladders either and use the SLX27 as my 'long pole' too. Good luck. One thing I would say is make sure you rinse before using different chemicals as you never know what reaction you could get with them mixing!

Hey guys,

I asked a while back for some help with some hard to clean Velux windows on a newish extension. I’ve tried applying Viakal leaving for a few minutes and cleaning off with the pole but no joy. I’m going to order one of them cleaning pads for my Gardiner pole from Gardiner. I’m just wondering if I should use something stronger? I’ve attached some fresh images, you can see water because it was after a clean.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 29082

The pads are great I change mine say after 1 conservatory roof .If you have tho option go inside spin them around and clean with Viakal and a pad .Once done hopefully it will be easier to do with a pole.In my experience they never clean up as well as they do by hand,good luck

It would be good if you could reach it from the inside. Put down a big dust sheet and try and lay some soaked limescale remover on a tissue and lay on the glass for 15mins. Then go up and see how its getting on.

Latest Posts

Back