Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Good booster pump for RO 40/21 setup

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TimB

Been buying my water for the last year but hate relying on the one local provider especially as my needs increase. So I've just bought a RO 40/21 from a local helpful window cleaner, but would like to buy a booster pump to improve psi.

I have no idea what my mains pressure is but want a pump anyway as I've been told it will increase performance and longevity of filters/membrane. The pump that typically gies with this is a daqua one for 300 quid. I'd prefer to spend less right now due to spending thousands on kit in the last year. Anyone have recommendations? Some pumps talk about VDC and others, GPD, I'm new to this so a bit confusing to me. 

Is a pump like this good enough for example? 

https://www.osmotics.co.uk/self-regulating-booster-pump-for-36gpd-to-150gpd-ro-systems.html

Thanks

The one you linked to is for very small RO (150GPD = 150 US Gallons Per Day).

You do need something bigger for a 4021. Daqua one is a very very good pump and you probably won't find a better one cheaper. There are 'budget' ones about - maybe have a search (box top right) for booster pump.

Been buying my water for the last year but hate relying on the one local provider especially as my needs increase. So I've just bought a RO 40/21 from a local helpful window cleaner, but would like to buy a booster pump to improve psi.

I have no idea what my mains pressure is but want a pump anyway as I've been told it will increase performance and longevity of filters/membrane. The pump that typically gies with this is a daqua one for 300 quid. I'd prefer to spend less right now due to spending thousands on kit in the last year. Anyone have recommendations? Some pumps talk about VDC and others, GPD, I'm new to this so a bit confusing to me. 

Is a pump like this good enough for example? 

https://www.osmotics.co.uk/self-regulating-booster-pump-for-36gpd-to-150gpd-ro-systems.html

Thanks
Firstly buying a good quality water pressure gauge will help give you a figure and a high quality TDS handheld tester from HM digital 

Then you work out if you need a low or high pressure membrane and then possibly a booster pump.

Wouldn't spend anymore money until you've done your homework

Reading through the forum will answer an awful lot of questions 

Firstly buying a good quality water pressure gauge will help give you a figure and a high quality TDS handheld tester from HM digital 

Then you work out if you need a low or high pressure membrane and then possibly a booster pump.

Wouldn't spend anymore money until you've done your homework

Reading through the forum will answer an awful lot of questions 
Thanks. My mains seems to be around 40 so too low. Get about 1 litre per minute pure water. I've asked the chap I bought it from about the membrane. He said he thinks it's low pressure but not sure as it was a while ago. Have a TDS but its not working properly. Won't move off zero for even tap water so may have to get calibration fluid or a new one. 

Getting there! I can at least still buy water in while I figure it out.

Thanks. My mains seems to be around 40 so too low. Get about 1 litre per minute pure water. I've asked the chap I bought it from about the membrane. He said he thinks it's low pressure but not sure as it was a while ago. Have a TDS but its not working properly. Won't move off zero for even tap water so may have to get calibration fluid or a new one. 

Getting there! I can at least still buy water in while I figure it out.
1 litre per minute isn't bad for a 4021.

Before you do anything else, get a water pressure tester gauge from Screwfix and a decent tds meter from Daqua. You can't make decisions without knowing the facts.

Water pressure is important but so is the amount of litres your supply tap delivers per minute.

Regarding the membrane. Every business is required to keep a record of their spending for tax purposes and keep copies of invoices for purchases (in digital or paper form) for 7 years. The previous windie should be able to look back through his records and tell you exactly what membrane he purchased.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 litre per minute isn't bad for a 4021.

Before you do anything else, get a water pressure tester gauge from Screwfix and a decent tds meter from Daqua. You can't make decisions without knowing the facts.

Water pressure is important but so is the amount of litres your supply tap delivers per minute.

Regarding the membrane. Every business is required to keep a record of their spending for tax purposes and keep copies of invoices for purchases (in digital or paper form) for 7 years. The previous windie should be able to look back through his records and tell you exactly what membrane he purchased.
Thanks Spruce. My tap water is at 398 ppm, been mega busy so only today tested the pressure. Came out at a little over 60psi, nearly 4.5 bars so pretty good? When I first ran the system, my wife was in the shower which I think affected the process!! Still not sure if I need a pump and whether I need to spend 300 plus to do so. Given the economy I'm trying to be sensible where possible, even though my work is thriving. I will run the ro system later in the week hopefully- it's all packed away in the garage- to see what the final ppm is on the pure.

The seller says he didn't have the records of purchase regarding membrane. Don't think he claimed for it at the time. 

Thanks Spruce. My tap water is at 398 ppm, been mega busy so only today tested the pressure. Came out at a little over 60psi, nearly 4.5 bars so pretty good? When I first ran the system, my wife was in the shower which I think affected the process!! Still not sure if I need a pump and whether I need to spend 300 plus to do so. Given the economy I'm trying to be sensible where possible, even though my work is thriving. I will run the ro system later in the week hopefully- it's all packed away in the garage- to see what the final ppm is on the pure.

The seller says he didn't have the records of purchase regarding membrane. Don't think he claimed for it at the time. 
Your psi is better than you thought then. 
so that’s a bonus. 
If he doesn’t have records for the membrane it may be a cheap one. The axeon H4/H5 are the best, so if it’s one of those he certainly would have kept the receipt as they are expensive. It certainly like Spruce says would have been an expense against his tax. 
I understand what your saying about paying out for a booster. But if you do need one, you would be better getting one, the benefits will outway the cost. Doug at Daqua is so helpful. He really helped me get sorted when I was new to it all. 
please keep every invoice, and good records, so you know what’s what. 

Still not sure if I need a pump and whether I need to spend 300 plus to do so. Given the economy I'm trying to be sensible where possible, even though my work is thriving.
Bailey Water Systems do/did a budget booster pump for about £150+vat. I have one, it boosts from my supply at about 28psi to about 100psi, not quite sure as my gauge only goes to 60psi and it goes well past that and will hit the zero stop so guessing at the pressure, new gauge is on my to do list ?. I'm not sure how long it will last or how noisy it is in comparison to more expensive ones but it does the job. 

I believe other people on here use Clarke ones - might be worth a search on here for clarke? 

People will look at a booster pump and think it can do 100 PSI will do the job. But there are other factors involved and the booster pump we sell is as close to hitting the specifications of the membrane.

It will do a litre in 40 secs set at 80 PSI with an Axeon HF5 4040 membrane. 

Your pressure is pretty good set at 60 PSI if your ratio is 60/40 waste to pure.

My water pressure is 50 to 55psi at the moment. I have an HF5 Axeon membrane which will be 10 years old in August/September this year (2020). My membrane started off producing water at a 98% rejection rate. It is down to 97%.

Our water isn't as hard as yours. It's mainly around 125ppm. I have seen it once at 79 and as high as 150ppm. I don't run a booster pump. My waste to pure ratio is 55 waste to 45 pure and my r/o produces pure at near enough 2lpm. Water from the r/o but before DI is sometimes 2ppm but mainly 3ppm. 25 litres of Tulsion resin lasts me 4 years. My 20" sediment filter and 20" Fiberdyne carbon block filter is changed every 77,000 litres. Depending on me and the weather the filter is changed every 3 to 4 months.

The moment another tap in the house is run, my water pressure drops off. If the wife wants to water the garden in the summer, I will switch the r/o off and switch is back on overnight. My r/o is on a float level switch and solenoid valve, so automatically switches off when my IBC tank is full.

Booster pumps @TimB just seemed so much hassle to me. If I needed to use one, then I would have little other choice. Ideally, what you need with a booster pump is one that will automatically switch off with your r/o when your tank is full.

These days, there is a lot more choice when it comes to booster pumps. In the early days the only booster GAPS water advised for a 4040 was a Clarke CBM240E which has an automatic electronic controller that will work in tandem with a float level switch and solenoid valve.

I checked up on my receipts from daqua and it doesnt say which membrane was in the ro. It just says 40/21 ro, 11 litre di etc. Either way, it seems like the right one judging by its performance. I'd have thought the one for lower pressure would have been more appropriate, as in that previous house i didnt need a booster either as it was at the bottom of a hill and pressure was much better than at this present house at the top of the hill.

Your psi is better than you thought then. 
so that’s a bonus. 
If he doesn’t have records for the membrane it may be a cheap one. The axeon H4/H5 are the best, so if it’s one of those he certainly would have kept the receipt as they are expensive. It certainly like Spruce says would have been an expense against his tax. 
I understand what your saying about paying out for a booster. But if you do need one, you would be better getting one, the benefits will outway the cost. Doug at Daqua is so helpful. He really helped me get sorted when I was new to it all. 
please keep every invoice, and good records, so you know what’s what. 
Yeh Ive got the receipt, its from daqua and was a 40/21 set so is guaranteed to be axeon H4 or 5, just cant remember which one but either way i reckon with a pressure of 60 he'll get by without the booster. I was getting about 2 litres a minute with roughly 1.5 litres waste to every 1 litre pure and the pressure was a bit lower than that too.

Yeh Ive got the receipt, its from daqua and was a 40/21 set so is guaranteed to be axeon H4 or 5, just cant remember which one but either way i reckon with a pressure of 60 he'll get by without the booster. I was getting about 2 litres a minute with roughly 1.5 litres waste to every 1 litre pure and the pressure was a bit lower than that too.
Ok, he’s got a good set up then, maybe Doug would know which membrane. 
my pressure is quite good here, it’s around 75 so I don’t have a booster pump. Although I have heard some say below 80psi you need a booster. Different views. But mine too seems fine. I bought mine secondhand from a friend, originally it’s a pure freedom setup. 

I checked up on my receipts from daqua and it doesnt say which membrane was in the ro. It just says 40/21 ro, 11 litre di etc. Either way, it seems like the right one judging by its performance. I'd have thought the one for lower pressure would have been more appropriate, as in that previous house i didnt need a booster either as it was at the bottom of a hill and pressure was much better than at this present house at the top of the hill.
All systems I have done have been with the HF5 membrane unless requested otherwise

All systems I have done have been with the HF5 membrane unless requested otherwise
That's good to know as some suppliers price to an HF4 or equivalent membrane, which is cheaper. Unfortunately, cleaners who are looking for an r/o system can sometimes believe that they are all the same and start to make a choice based on price. It gets worse when other suppliers fit an alleged "ultra low pressure" Chinese manufactured membrane, making their prices even more attractive.

Thanks everyone for your help and reassurance. It's pretty rough today weatherwise and I've been slogging away all week out at work, so I won't get to see how that 65psi translates to water quality until sometime this weekend. Maybe with a low pressure membrane, it will be enough without the booster. Its been helpful to gather other people's experiences.

Back