Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter cleaning without ladders

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CMcB

Hi guys, 

Considering add ons for my window cleaning business. Does anyone here do gutter cleaning without ladders at all? Only using a gutter vacuum. If this is already covered somewhere, can you direct me to the thread. Many thanks 

Yeah there are some people who just use vacs. You won't be able to carry out all jobs and you will have to be very careful you don't knock of end caps on gutters and there maybe jobs where you have to say to customers sorry I cannot unblock the down pipe as the down pipe needs to be removed and I don't use ladders.

But you can still offer the service and probably complete nine jobs out of every ten. Once you have completed a few jobs you will be able to identify when you are quoting whether you stand a good chance of completing the job. 

Just get a decent vac which is capable of sucking big tufts of vegetation out of downpipes. I personally would not have anything less that a 3000watt machine. 

If you you budget can afford it Spinaclean is a good place to get the top quality equipment. 

Yeah there are some people who just use vacs. You won't be able to carry out all jobs and you will have to be very careful you don't knock of end caps on gutters and there maybe jobs where you have to say to customers sorry I cannot unblock the down pipe as the down pipe needs to be removed and I don't use ladders.

But you can still offer the service and probably complete nine jobs out of every ten. Once you have completed a few jobs you will be able to identify when you are quoting whether you stand a good chance of completing the job. 

Just get a decent vac which is capable of sucking big tufts of vegetation out of downpipes. I personally would not have anything less that a 3000watt machine. 

If you you budget can afford it Spinaclean is a good place to get the top quality equipment. 
I agree with this ,but would add unless they are prepared to use a ladder on the odd occasion I don’t think they should offer the service you cannot offer to empty the gutters but sorry I don’t unblock down pipes you either jo the compleat job or you don’t  

Please can I ask what length ladder typically works for most gutter jobs you get please?

I'm just starting out, and want to get the right ladder.

I've got a standoff already, just my ladder is a naff domestic one.
Nice, good on you!

i use a triple set. Not entirely sure what length it is, I’d say closed length it’s 9 feet? So it can get me a good 22+ feet up. But the highest I’ll ever go is to normal gutter height which is around 18-20 feet? 

Ah great, thanks for the reply. I've been reading the forum and googling to try and find a suitable ladder... I think I'm going to go for one with a wide stabiliser on the bottom.

Thanks for your help ?

Ah great, thanks for the reply. I've been reading the forum and googling to try and find a suitable ladder... I think I'm going to go for one with a wide stabiliser on the bottom.

Thanks for your help ?
I have a youngman combi100 well made wide footprint and fantastic reach. Don't use it much as it's more of a roof bar decoration.

6.86m working height 

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for your help ?
Just be extra cautious with a ladder one mistake it can go wrong

At a house today and a gardeners van pulls up on the driveway and they start taking ladders off, I go wrong the back to finish the house then when I come back around the front they are cleaning the fsg by hand, badly placed ladder on green block paving over a small extension less than a 1mtr out about the width of a porch with a sloping roof as I look up his ladder slips and he slams down onto the extension roof with his legs dangling between the rungs,

He was lucky as he only scuffed his knuckles which were bleeding but smashed a tile vent which might cost him more to have replaced than he was charging for the job, more so if he needs to pay a roofer to replace it, complete idiot springs to mind

Please can I ask what length ladder typically works for most gutter jobs you get please?

I'm just starting out, and want to get the right ladder.

I've got a standoff already, just my ladder is a naff domestic one.
I appreciate that gutter vacuum kits are expensive but using the latest technology / is far the safest way

If using ladders it's best to get a ladder matrix non slip kit, 

You will need to move and reposition your ladder alot as stretching with a pole and gutter tool will lead to accidents or if just using a towel you really need to be working on a short run at a time 

Work boots are a safe option in some cases as the raised boot heel can prevent your feet sliding on rungs when wet 

Back