Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Health risk of using pole system?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Those pics look sore mate, i would wear gloves if i were you.
I'm probably wrong, but i would suggest that its the hybrid thats causing those irritations, it'll be the fibreglass not carbon doing that, dont know if you have ever worked in lofts or with loft insulation? Its nasty nasty stuff
Thanks Keir.

Yeah gloves will help my hands, but not my lungs.

So... Sounds like the answer is... Get Pure Carbon Fibre Poles?

Downside: They are less rigid than hybrid poles, right?

I think its the fibreglass. You might be allergic. I now have the phoenix full carbon and get black hand but now have loads of cheap asda gloves. I buy a load every year.
ea521c303a1487d77dd1345b1bd9b411.jpg
4fb96cd446b8d9ff8e047aac9e9e6d1a.jpg

Thanks Keir.Yeah gloves will help my hands, but not my lungs.

So... Sounds like the answer is... Get Pure Carbon Fibre Poles?

Downside: They are less rigid than hybrid poles, right?
Yeah good point, especially if you are allergic to fibreglass!

As for stiffness, full carbon are more rigid than hybrid.

Those pics look sore mate, i would wear gloves if i were you.
I'm probably wrong, but i would suggest that its the hybrid thats causing those irritations, it'll be the fibreglass not carbon doing that, dont know if you have ever worked in lofts or with loft insulation? Its nasty nasty stuff
i rember years ago to of my m8s had the coppers after them they ran in a friends house an hid in the loft an hid under the under lay any way to cut it short after police left they come out of the loft an were iching like mad cos of the fiberglass lagging it is very nasty stuff

Yeah good point, especially if you are allergic to fibreglass!As for stiffness, full carbon are more rigid than hybrid.
Thanks Keir.

Actually, I did order full carbon. Going to go double check my invoice and make sure that that is actually what pure freedom supplied me!

I wouldn't worry about the amount you could possibly be breathing in as it is minute

My mate is in his 50s and needs a heart transplant due to the strain and stress put on it due to his lungs being fooked from working with fibreglass most his life when they didn't have health and safety

But that is a very extreme case of breathing in large quantities daily

You probably breathe worse stuff in exhaust fumes etc

Carbon won't react, your body pretty much accepts it without issue, which is actually kind of a bad thing, it doesn't eject carbon splinters and such.

But off a pole you shouldn't get splinters anyway, I have had a few building rc planes over the years, best way to get them out is gaffa tape.

i rember years ago to of my m8s had the coppers after them they ran in a friends house an hid in the loft an hid under the under lay any way to cut it short after police left they come out of the loft an were iching like mad cos of the fiberglass lagging it is very nasty stuff
so we must remember if we are getting chased by the cops dont hide in the loft...nabours shed is the answer

I would think the only health risk from using wfp would be strains on the neck and back if used for long periods if the operator was positioned wrong, or using really long poles at full height continually.

Cant really see in this day and age a product like a wfp giving anyone a reaction from the material its made from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two patches of hard skin through pole (that's the wfp kind btw) use! One on inside knuckle of thumb & t'other at base of thumb just onto palm. It gets so bad I have to remove it with nail clippers!!/emoticons/biggrin.pngThis stuff is good for winter wfp hands-

http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/whats-hot/best-sellers/hemp-hand-protector.aspx?kpid=85081&gclid=CJzLs5eixsECFSrpwgodv1wA6Q
This is good cream, my hands are sore after a day of wfp tops n trad bottoms, this cream seems to calm them down ready for another days graft, should take it with me, but never remember as don't have sore hands in the morning to remind me I need to take it.

The only injury I've had through WFP is tennis elbow, it lasted 12 months & was very painful at times. Fortunately I rarely suffer with anything & don't whinge when I do but the tennis elbow I have to say was bad. At one stage I couldn't even hold a mug of coffee! It's gone now but I'm left with a permanent lump on that elbow, the lump doesn't cause any pain though. This was caused by a combination of intense pole work & over-gripping of the pole. I had to retrain my brain not to over grip, which believe it or not is quite hard to do- it seems natural to grip far harder than you actually need to.

The only injury I've had through WFP is tennis elbow, it lasted 12 months & was very painful at times. Fortunately I rarely suffer with anything & don't whinge when I do but the tennis elbow I have to say was bad. At one stage I couldn't even hold a mug of coffee! It's gone now but I'm left with a permanent lump on that elbow, the lump doesn't cause any pain though. This was caused by a combination of intense pole work & over-gripping of the pole. I had to retrain my brain not to over grip, which believe it or not is quite hard to do- it seems natural to grip far harder than you actually need to.
I have suffered on and off for years with tennis elbow due to a lot of martial arts when I was young and doing kata wrong, its terrible....

Think at the end of the day, even if sat at a desk, if you do a similar movement over and over for any length of time, you WILL get some kind of physical problem from it.

I would think the only health risk from using wfp would be strains on the neck and back if used for long periods if the operator was positioned wrong, or using really long poles at full height continually.Cant really see in this day and age a product like a wfp giving anyone a reaction from the material its made from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And yet that is exactly what is happening?

Back