Help ! Frozen ! Pump Wont Work

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by js window cleaning, Mar 12, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Hi I went to my van about an hour ago and my tank is half full and loads of ice is inside , so I tried to turn my variflo on and not even a sound is being made from the pump and absolutely nothing happens ?!?! Is it just a case of letting things warm up or ?
    Thanks js window cleaning..

Advertisement
  2. OoO

OoO Guest

Need to warm the van up, ideally an oil fired radiator inside.

If the pump has frozen 9 times out of 10 it will be dead. The seals spilt.

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Not good :(

Have my fingers crossed for you that it might still work when unfrozen ;)

Best if you don’t have a heater is to bring it indoors to defrost. That goes for any other wfp kit apart from the tank that you have in the van too.

4. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

disconnect pump and take inside and wait for it to melt, or warm it up with a hairdryer

5. HotWash Window Cleaners

Upgrade to a hot system perhaps with a frostat controller which stops equipment freezing.

6. OoO

OoO Guest

Lol ^^^ just buy an oil fired radiator.

7. sdrah

sdrah Guest

hi guys - what happens if the pump has no water inside - as I disconnect it from the system after the work is completed every day . I take the in-flow hose outside the van - and from the pump drips about half of glass of water - Does that mean the pumper is empty and there is no chances it can be damaged by frost ?

8. OoO

OoO Guest

The problem is water turning to ice, thats what does the damage. Plus seals and parts freeze up and become brittle.

Look after your pumps :)

9. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Had this happen just before Xmas. I got some warm water and poured it down into the pump. Worked OK for me.

10. spruce

spruce Grand Master

There are a lot who switch the tap off at the tank and drain the pump down by running it and removing the prefilter bowl. Doing this sucks in air and clears the pump of water. Any remaining water droplets will freeze in the pump but do no damage. Usually the warm air from the vans heater is enough the warm the pump up. A hairdryer will sort the pipes out.

A friend of mine has done this for the last 9 winters and is still on his first pump.

Advertisement