Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hi, About to start as a window cleaner

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gavin John

I’ve been reading on here a while, I’m about to start as a window cleaner, totally different to what I’ve done all my life, but I love the idea of the flexibility that window cleaning will bring. I’ve been a door to door canvasser for 20 years, so this is totally different to what I know, but from what I’ve read it will stand me in good stead in getting customers. The worry for me is will I be able to actually do it properly, and what equipment will I need to get. I’m looking to start as soon as possible as I’m disillusioned with what I’m doing. My question is, is there anyone who would be willing to let me watch them for a day? Answer a few questions? I know it’s a big ask but I’m desperate to make this work but feel like I don’t know nearly enough. I live in Essex but would travel anywhere within 100 miles. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

Canvassing will stand you in good stead to get customers dependant on what you were previously selling. i.e. remember that you are not just trying to sell someone something and they never see you again!!! You will have to live up to your word, be reliable, and do a good job.

I would say starting out depends on how much you need to earn and how much you have to invest. You can start with a backpack, trolley, a wfp and some barrels in your car. You could go all out get a van with a system etc...

One thing I would say is if at all possible don't give up your day job if you have bills to pay!!!! Try starting out canvassing on say Saturday then cleaning on Sunday, see how you get on. If you want to do that then I would say get a Gardiner backpack, a clx22, some clean barrels and see if there is a spotless water station near you. Then practice, practice, practice on your own home then relatives and friends. If you enjoy it then get some insurance and off you go.

Read as much as you can on here as there is some amazing advice here. I'm only 4 months in but started researching about 18 months ago. I am building slowly due to covid but it's going well so far. 

If you have never been self employed then you need to register with HMRC. Remember that being self employed is good flexibility wise but no one tells you what to do it's all down to you, so you need to motivate yourself, be good at marketing, time management to name but a few things.

I’ve been reading on here a while, I’m about to start as a window cleaner, totally different to what I’ve done all my life, but I love the idea of the flexibility that window cleaning will bring. I’ve been a door to door canvasser for 20 years, so this is totally different to what I know, but from what I’ve read it will stand me in good stead in getting customers. The worry for me is will I be able to actually do it properly, and what equipment will I need to get. I’m looking to start as soon as possible as I’m disillusioned with what I’m doing. My question is, is there anyone who would be willing to let me watch them for a day? Answer a few questions? I know it’s a big ask but I’m desperate to make this work but feel like I don’t know nearly enough. I live in Essex but would travel anywhere within 100 miles. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
Welcome to the family.

The forum will answer more questions than a day with a window cleaner and note taking is key to creating lists of techniques, equipment water production and everything else.

The trade is flexible but only if you work hard and graft. Winter is coming so be prepared for a sluggish damp dark start. 

hey there my name is dennis. you’re definitely in the right place! if you do prefer YouTube i can recommend keith kalfas. definitely get out there and get started and you’ll be surprised how far you can go 

-dennis

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Grimsby and it's likely too far for you but if you were interested you're more than welcome to come and watch me work. I'll show you all of my equipment and how to purify the water from home or in a van (I have both methods available)

Thank you so much for all your advice, I really do appreciate it, lots to ponder. Particularly John in Grimsby, I really do appreciate that offer, no it’s not too far, I’d certainly be prepared to make the trip. Thanks again all. 

Hi, All fellow windies chap & chapesses. I will say Gavin in regards to starting up, it can be what ever you want throw at it finance wise as costly as you want or as less on the wallet, i went for Van setup with 35ft reach RO 40/40 system and a small trad kit. I've been establish for 18months now with no customer base with now 140 on schedule it was a tough battle questioned my decision but as I've learnt from yotube and took advice from other pros on forum i can only wish id done it along time ago best thing i did, advertise and persevere you will win some lose some, but know your worth and enjoy the venture. 

Back