Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

hose connexions

WCF

Help Support WCF:

johnny bravo

Looks like everyone is using pushfit fittings now from hozelock
are they standard john guest push fit fittings . Going to try using these to be a better fixing than hoses & Jubilee clips.
it will be just getting right sizes .

Maybe better going into Local outlets to see what works best

Attachments

• push fit.jpg
    push fit.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 30
Maybe better going into Local outlets to see what works best
Looking at Youtube videos is a great insight into doing it properly for a secure water supply from Tank to Reel

Can anyone let me know the name of these Brass screw thread fittings used on the Strainer & Pump for you to fit your Jg pipe & fittings around the van
Thanks

Attachments

• Brass .jpg
    Brass .jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Brass2.jpg
    Brass2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 23
While I'm not sure I think they are 1/2" bsp tap connectors. If you go in Screwfix/Toolstation late in the evening when they are quiet with the strainer I am sure they will help.

You’ll find most of the window cleaning equipment is in imperial. The manufacturers seem to use 1/4” for some RO equipment and 1/2”. There are connections to make these fit on a pump relatively easily. There are also simple barbs made to then connect to a hose where required. You’ll find the off the shelf items are only available in metric. From experience you’re going to find plumbers merchants more expensive for the metric version also so it’s likely to be worth ordering the imperial version online.

It's completely up to you of course. Before buying any metric fittings because you can get them off the shelf somewhere it's worth asking the question why do the major suppliers install window cleaning vans using JG Imperial fittings? Same question would apply to the RO's. I can't claim to have a definitive answer but I would suggest you think twice on it. Gardiners used to sell push fit fittings that were all imperial. Grippatanks installs have imperial push fit, as do streamline and others. You're gonna end up filling round to find fittings that will work in a size that may not work as well as the pre existing alternative.

It's completely up to you of course. Before buying any metric fittings because you can get them off the shelf somewhere it's worth asking the question why do the major suppliers install window cleaning vans using JG Imperial fittings? Same question would apply to the RO's. I can't claim to have a definitive answer but I would suggest you think twice on it. Gardiners used to sell push fit fittings that were all imperial. Grippatanks installs have imperial push fit, as do streamline and others. You're gonna end up filling round to find fittings that will work in a size that may not work as well as the pre existing alternative.
Plumbing fittings are a bit of a weird one. I think it comes about due to all starting out as imperial when lead was used (sized by weight!) and all pipe fittings where imperial. Then copper pipe came along, I assume from Europe as that is metric size pipe and solder fittings. As per normal the UK didn't adopt a completely metric system as it would be expensive! So we kept to imperial for all fittings other than the actual pipe! I believe taps, waste pipe, screw threads on compression fittings, hose fittings (outside taps threads) etc all stayed imperial.

With JG fittings I believe the 'UK standard' plumbing versions are set up for metric pipe (15mm or 22mm mainly) but the screw thread ends are generally imperial!
Personally I would try and use 15mm pipe ones as you can walk in to most plumbers and get spares.

Plumbing fittings are a bit of a weird one. I think it comes about due to all starting out as imperial when lead was used (sized by weight!) and all pipe fittings where imperial. Then copper pipe came along, I assume from Europe as that is metric size pipe and solder fittings. As per normal the UK didn't adopt a completely metric system as it would be expensive! So we kept to imperial for all fittings other than the actual pipe! I believe taps, waste pipe, screw threads on compression fittings, hose fittings (outside taps threads) etc all stayed imperial.

With JG fittings I believe the 'UK standard' plumbing versions are set up for metric pipe (15mm or 22mm mainly) but the screw thread ends are generally imperial!
Personally I would try and use 15mm pipe ones as you can walk in to most plumbers and get spares.
Just seems like convenience over quality mate. There must be a reason that window cleaning manufacturers use 1/2 inch JG tubing. Although it isn't made specifically for window cleaning it is regularly used on these systems. The metric stuff is being repurposed. It's also more expensive. Similarly your garden hose is usually 1/2 inch also ?

Just seems like convenience over quality mate. There must be a reason that window cleaning manufacturers use 1/2 inch JG tubing. Although it isn't made specifically for window cleaning it is regularly used on these systems. The metric stuff is being repurposed. It's also more expensive. Similarly your garden hose is usually 1/2 inch also ?
You do have a good point about suppliers using imperial but that wasn't designed for wfp kit so again it's repurposed stuff! Maybe it is better in high vibration environments like vehicles? As you say there should be a decent reason the wfp kit suppliers use imperial pipe. I will have a bit of a dig to see if there is a specification difference.

I like being able to nip to a local shop to get bit rather than have to wait for the post to get the imperial fittings in the event of a broken fitting.

Just had a quick look at JG site and it appears that the imperial stuff is designed for the drinks and water processing industry but the max size seems to be 3/8". The pipe also doesn't need additional inserts which the 15mm plumbing pipe does!
It's made of acetal and max temp is 65DegC where as plumbing is polybutylene but max working temp is 95DegC.

I do wonder if wfp suppliers like that with the imperial they don't need extra inserts, so it's quicker and cheaper?

id guess most local plumbers and b&q will have speedfit Jg supplies . With inserts to secure leak free joints . Its just a thought . ill stick with my reinforced 1/2inch hose for now untill ive checked the local plumb shop out or if i see a local plumber while im out working ill ask them
Just looking to tidy my set up .

Latest Posts

Back