Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

hose split, can male slick connect be re-used?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ks789

only had this ultraflex pole hose a few months so was surprised it split today, just after where the fitted tap is. The cheaper supposedly inferior pole hoses lasted much longer. local place hasnt got anymore male slick connects, so Im trying to take this one off, cut off the split bit of hose and then reattach the connect. Ive tried warming it up in boiling water, just doesnt seem to want to budge, Anyone know about these? should it come off with just more force?

@ks789 I think the slick connects aren't the same as they used to be. Can be a bit brittle now. If you put it in a mug of boiling water for a couple of minutes and then take it out (wearing a rubber glove) you may be able to get the pole hose part off of the barb. If you do successfully get the hose off then I'd suggest using a small cable tie instead of an o-clip for securing the hose in future. Much easier to remove when necessary πŸ‘. PS. I have found the same with pole hose and just ended up going back to the reinforced/braided stuff. Even that has leaks where I have my tap. I think the ultraflex hose isn't recommend for being under pressure (like it would be from a tap or a univalve etc) but Gardiner will know better. On the FB groups alot of the lads say the green PU hose is good.

@ks789 I think the slick connects aren't the same as they used to be. Can be a bit brittle now. If you put it in a mug of boiling water for a couple of minutes and then take it out (wearing a rubber glove) you may be able to get the pole hose part off of the barb. If you do successfully get the hose off then I'd suggest using a small cable tie instead of an o-clip for securing the hose in future. Much easier to remove when necessary πŸ‘. PS. I have found the same with pole hose and just ended up going back to the reinforced/braided stuff. Even that has leaks where I have my tap. I think the ultraflex hose isn't recommend for being under pressure (like it would be from a tap or a univalve etc) but Gardiner will know better. On the FB groups alot of the lads say the green PU hose is good.
Yeh I thought I'd try the ultraflex as it was headlined as being really tough/possibly best pole hose ever. Its amazing if it could be the pressure build up as you wouldnt have thought it could rip through like that. I wasnt using the tap, was using the gooseneck twist valve at the time as I need to replace my one shot. The connector is one of the old mark 1 types, and I didnt use an o clip as it fitted so well without.

You have to be careful not to snap the plastic on the connects. Take a nibble out of the hose clip a tiny bit at a time . Then a Stanley knife to remove the hose . Done it a few times but it’s tricky

You have to be careful not to snap the plastic on the connects. Take a nibble out of the hose clip a tiny bit at a time . Then a Stanley knife to remove the hose . Done it a few times but it’s tricky
No o clip needed as it fitted the ultraflex pole hose really snug, I'll order some more connectors but will still try and get it out. Will have to use the battered old pole tomorrow haha.

I have that ultraflex stuff. Its pretty tough ie I`ve had it for a couple of years now and have had no splits or pin hole leaks but it is too stretchy for my liking so does not work particulary well in conjunction with univalves.
I did really like it till now. Its only 4 months old. All I can guess is, it didnt handle the pressure build up from using the goosenecktwist valve or I'd nicked it somehow on something. Must get the one shot fixed. Do you know if I can use the new longer range one shots with an existing controller? Without smartphone technology? as I prefer the old basic mobiles out and about and only go online at home really.

I did really like it till now. Its only 4 months old. All I can guess is, it didnt handle the pressure build up from using the goosenecktwist valve or I'd nicked it somehow on something. Must get the one shot fixed. Do you know if I can use the new longer range one shots with an existing controller? Without smartphone technology? as I prefer the old basic mobiles out and about and only go online at home really.
Ah, think ive just read I'd need a v16 controller to use the new longer range one shot, mines a v11 so have to get new bundle.

Yeh I thought I'd try the ultraflex as it was headlined as being really tough/possibly best pole hose ever. Its amazing if it could be the pressure build up as you wouldnt have thought it could rip through like that. I wasnt using the tap, was using the gooseneck twist valve at the time as I need to replace my one shot. The connector is one of the old mark 1 types, and I didnt use an o clip as it fitted so well without.
@ks789 oh blimey. Yeah that gooseneck valve is very good. I also saw the description of it being possibly the best hose ever. Definitely worth sending them an email and asking. I saw on a FB group a lad that had used a univalve with it and it blew the hose up like a balloon animal. I have a tap but it's not used alot but I found it still sprung leaks on the ultraflex. I tend to disconnect most pole hose at the start and end of jobs as it coils up weird and ends up so twisted it looks like someone has murdered Zebedee from the magic roundabout πŸ˜‚.
PS. Agree with your comment about smartphones, if I didn't need one for work I wouldn't bother with one.

Back