Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

what would you charge/how would you tackle it

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Clisty1989

WP_20170425_12_31_44_Pro.jpg been asked to do the paintwork on this house, 1st time I've been asked so pricing is new to me. Also due to lack of experience & ppe would like to try and avoid hypo, so would a strong degreaser do? If it isn't 100% it isn't a biggie as it is getting repainted. Any help would be great

That looks like green algae, you could purchase a half dozen cheap bottles of bleach. Mix it 1/1 and spray it on, that will get rid of that marking as it's not too bad by the looks of it and only in a few places! Bleach has small percentage of hypo in it and will do the trick!

That looks like green algae, you could purchase a half dozen cheap bottles of bleach. Mix it 1/1 and spray it on, that will get rid of that marking as it's not too bad by the looks of it and only in a few places! Bleach has small percentage of hypo in it and will do the trick!
Bleach is hypo !!! Just another name for it comes in a variety of strengths , be warey of spraying it unless you know what you are doing as can cause damage and personal injury

Hypo fan jet it on, nice calm day, low Flo and you will be sweet, I done one before and never had a back pack and just used wfp dipping it into a bucket of hypo mix

As Pjj says Hypo is bleach. Simple as that.

Try reading some lables Christian.

Domestos Spray ( the one you use in the kitchen) 1% Sodium Hypochlorite.

Domestos Thick Gel 3% Sodium Hypochlorite.

And it goes up from there as you break into commercial products.

Either get some decent PPE and tackle it properly or pass it along to someone you know that can do it for a drink.

As Pjj says Hypo is bleach. Simple as that.
Try reading some lables Christian.

Domestos Spray ( the one you use in the kitchen) 1% Sodium Hypochlorite.

Domestos Thick Gel 3% Sodium Hypochlorite.

And it goes up from there as you break into commercial products.

Either get some decent PPE and tackle it properly or pass it along to someone you know that can do it for a drink.
there's no one round here that does that I know/trust. I was hoping to just use degreaser as its just traffic dirt and a bit of algae, and less dangerous. but if not ill get the ppe and do it right

there's no one round here that does that I know/trust. I was hoping to just use degreaser as its just traffic dirt and a bit of algae, and less dangerous. but if not ill get the ppe and do it right
To be fair tfr or de greaser isn't going to do a lot for that algi it needs hypo or a quats based product to kill it off but unless you know what you are doing it can be hazardous to you ,the customer and the environment, research it on google or go on a training course to learn how to do it safely ,that picture you have put up is a nice easy little job to start on but you will have to be careful with the neibouring properties

I know Benz doesn't recommend brushing render but i have had good results doing it

I have an old vikan brush which i use with pencils and apply to walls like you are scrubbing a window

The brush just spreads the chems rather than being used to scrub the render

No worries of overspray then and easier to keep off plants

This wall and windows were all hypo'd that way and came up perfect

Screenshot_20170425-203334.jpg

Green pro Wouldn't benz fungaside kill that stuff off it's alot after to use. Worked fine on my garden walls I tested it.
Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Sorry mate? Is that typos? Did you mean 'safer to use?'

Neither is safe, nor one safer than the other. See the thread An afternoon in A&E if you want to see how bio will burn you. Also VERY VERY bad on the lungs!! We have recently upgraded from visors with paper respirators to full face masks with chemical filters due to constant sore throats from biocides.

I know many will sit on here and think 'I aint spending £200 - £300 on PPE, it's only hypo (or bio)' and all I can say is more fool you. When it comes to it, unless you are the sort that does not care for your own well being, then you want the best you can afford.

If you truly can't afford decent PPE yet then what do you do? That's right, take a pass on it. IS it really worth the risk so you can earn an extra £100 and be able to say you have soft washed a wall?

It seems so many are desperate to get into the soft wash business but don't want to put in the hours upon hours of reading or pay to go on the training courses provided so that they can do it safely. There seems to be a massive lack of interest in those willing to actually invest in their own training and personal development.

The majority of the lads on here (and the lasses) started as window cleaners, still are window cleaners and make good money from it. Why not stick to it till you can afford to invest the time and resources required to expand safely?

Anyhow I'm waffling.

Personally, in the shoes of the OP I would pass on the job, if it's being painted anyhow then let it be the painters issue and not yours if you are not yet in a position to do it safely.

Personally, in the shoes of the OP I would pass on the job, if it's being painted anyhow then let it be the painters issue and not yours if you are not yet in a position to do it safely.
thanks for your input, only issue is I'm the one painting it. I wouldn't dream of not using the proper ppe, so what would I need? I'm guessing gauntlet's, mask, goggles, visor and an chem resistant outer layer, but is there anything ive forgotten, and any makes your recommend? I have had several requests for it so once I have the gear it'll pay for itself. Id rather do it properly with the knowledge gained on her and elsewhere, then be a cowboy about it and cause serious injury.

Any thing water proof will cover you for hypo and bio.
I use the following:

View attachment 14389 View attachment 14390 View attachment 14391 View attachment 14392 View attachment 14393 View attachment 14394

You will not the boots say non safety. Only because they arent steel toe caps.

Hope this list helps.
thanks had a rummage last night in my attic and have gauntlets, overboots and an old nbc suit from my army days (waiting for @daveyboy to have a flashback about sweating his nuts off). Do you think they'll be sufficient? I'll probs put a cheap disposable coverall over the top so I don't scare anyone

Sorry mate? Is that typos? Did you mean 'safer to use?'
Neither is safe, nor one safer than the other. See the thread An afternoon in A&E if you want to see how bio will burn you. Also VERY VERY bad on the lungs!! We have recently upgraded from visors with paper respirators to full face masks with chemical filters due to constant sore throats from biocides.

I know many will sit on here and think 'I aint spending £200 - £300 on PPE, it's only hypo (or bio)' and all I can say is more fool you. When it comes to it, unless you are the sort that does not care for your own well being, then you want the best you can afford.

If you truly can't afford decent PPE yet then what do you do? That's right, take a pass on it. IS it really worth the risk so you can earn an extra £100 and be able to say you have soft washed a wall?

It seems so many are desperate to get into the soft wash business but don't want to put in the hours upon hours of reading or pay to go on the training courses provided so that they can do it safely. There seems to be a massive lack of interest in those willing to actually invest in their own training and personal development.

The majority of the lads on here (and the lasses) started as window cleaners, still are window cleaners and make good money from it. Why not stick to it till you can afford to invest the time and resources required to expand safely?

Anyhow I'm waffling.

Tbh was just asking the question. I agree with you I am just sticking to cleaning glass I don't like the risks with softwashing.

I used abit fungle wash on my house all be it a cheap DIY one. However I had scaffolding up at the time I was painting the dame thing

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back