Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How do you get rid of the green stuff in gaps?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

So bleach and water doesn’t make the frames discoloured then? 
min finding a lot of this algae, but it’s been a very wet Autumn. I would much rather get rid of it like you say, make our job easier. 

If you use flash kitchen spray with bleach no it won’t hurt it if using hypo then yes you can cause damage but if diluted and rinse off well it’s fine ,sometimes white plastic will gina yellow colour if it strong a mix is used but after a couple of hours I have found it always goes back to white , you don’t want to be using stronger than 3% though it’s preferable to use weaker mix and more applications than one strong mix .

So bleach and water doesn’t make the frames discoloured then? 
min finding a lot of this algae, but it’s been a very wet Autumn. I would much rather get rid of it like you say, make our job easier. 
I use bleach for 50p from local shop.

About 2 inches in bottom of spray bottle and the rest pure with a small squirt of fairy to make it stick.

Had a couple go yellow/orange but faded back to white within 10 minutes.. just killing the mould.

Once I used that but didn't shake it to mix it and sprayed pure 4.6% bleach on some frames and was orange for a week but still disappeared and looks perfect 12 months on.

The zinc oxide in the upvc counteracts the bleach and turns it back white anyway.

If I get an orange spot I don't even think about it as I know it will be perfect white later. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This job last year was like that with green everywhere.

Just sprayed bleach and water on and left for the time it took to do another window and then cleaned as normal. 

It was mouldy all over and only took a few seconds longer than usual.

View attachment 19008
I was meaning more like the authors pic with external beading were it's no doubt growing underneath the beading, I usually use Ubuik on first cleans and works a treat, but defo need to use a bleach based spray periodically moving forward me thinks 

I use bleach for 50p from local shop.

About 2 inches in bottom of spray bottle and the rest pure with a small squirt of fairy to make it stick.

Had a couple go yellow/orange but faded back to white within 10 minutes.. just killing the mould.

Once I used that but didn't shake it to mix it and sprayed pure 4.6% bleach on some frames and was orange for a week but still disappeared and looks perfect 12 months on.

The zinc oxide in thebupvc counteracts the bleach and turns it back white anyway.

If I get an orange spot I don't even think about it as I know it will be perfect white later. 
Do you just carry this spray bottle around all the time in your van?   I was thinking of doing the same with virosol

Back