Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How long would a typical school take?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JohnDoeWindows

Hi guys,

I understand that this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' type question but I've been and quoted a reasonably sized school and got the job, it's my first one of its size as I'm 99.9% residential.

The dilemma I have is the work MUST be carried out on a Saturday and I have commitments that require me to be home by 2.30pm on a Saturday. I'm debating whether or not to bring someone along with me, or whether it would be doable in a 7.30-2.30 time frame.

Any ball park figures would be greatly appreciated!

No one can answer that question for you... only you can answer that question.
Time taken to clean the windows will depend on how dirty the windows are.. you been to see the windows mate so only you know that :p

Good luck buddy
Thanks mate, figured this would be the case I suppose all I can do is give it a go and see how long it takes, worst case scenario I'll have to split the work across two Saturdays.

We have done this type of work before as we are also mainly residential. Take your estimate and x2. They don't get cleaned that often. So take a long time per pain of glass compared to your regular work

Is it just outside, as quite often they're inside and out. Also even the external windows have sellotape etc. on them so that will need to be taken into account.
Yeah just the outside windows for now, when I walked around (granted it was a couple of months back now) I didn't notice anything glaringly obvious on any of the windows.

I've quoted them £600 a time, £750 for the first clean which they've accepted.

Yeah just the outside windows for now, when I walked around (granted it was a couple of months back now) I didn't notice anything glaringly obvious on any of the windows.

I've quoted them £600 a time, £750 for the first clean which they've accepted.
How big is your tank, on 1st cleans on big jobs you can easily use 100+ litres an hour so if you have a 650 litre tank you might get through that in 6 hours. Take a few extra barrels, as back-up, just incase.

Many moons ago used to do some school contracts in Lancashire these where usually done when it was school holidays big jobs inside n out used to take several days to finish back when I was traditional cleaning good work to have good luck

How big is your tank, on 1st cleans on big jobs you can easily use 100+ litres an hour so if you have a 650 litre tank you might get through that in 6 hours. Take a few extra barrels, as back-up, just incase.
I've got a 650 litre tank and live 10 minutes away so can always pop back and fill up.

They always take longer than you think.Most are like builders cleans and won’t have been cleaned in years.

At £750 a day I wouldn’t be worrying about trying to get away early.
That’s a very good day rate.
I know it is and on any other day I wouldn't be in a rush, but unfortunately I have commitments on a Saturday that I cannot get out of and they insist on the windows being cleaned on a Saturday.

I'd be more than happy to pay someone to give me a hand if it was necessary to complete the job by 2.30.

Hi guys,

I understand that this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' type question but I've been and quoted a reasonably sized school and got the job, it's my first one of its size as I'm 99.9% residential.

The dilemma I have is the work MUST be carried out on a Saturday and I have commitments that require me to be home by 2.30pm on a Saturday. I'm debating whether or not to bring someone along with me, or whether it would be doable in a 7.30-2.30 time frame.

Any ball park figures would be greatly appreciated!
Some photos would’ve helped.

I clean schools on the regular and they are definitely a challenge. Quoting big schools is really tricky esp if your doing other exterior services on them (if your not definitely a good avenue to explore bc you can end up with a lot of well paid work). Some things i have learned - insides are very tough due to the tape / bluetack and glue. Also the outsides sometimes have this. Have a good size scraper (i use unger ergotec which has a good width blade), bronze wool and also a decent sized ball of blue tack ready (i use blue tack to remove old blue tack it sticks to itself and if you applicator the glass first with fairy it comes off much quicker). Don't be afraid to go trad on the large hydrophobic ground floor glass - i have done some schools where the seals are so streaky bc they havent been cleaned for years and here tons of sand dust in them even after 3 WFP rinses they still dried bad.

As a general idea think about what they are gonna notice most - make sure frames and upvc paneling is cleaned of cobwebs and dust, also exterior lights are a nice touch take couple mins usually and it leaves a good impression you have done a complete job. If you have a second man you can get one person literally removes cobwebs and preps the frames and second person cleans the glass on really big schools, i done a ton of them on my own and its backbreaking / monotonous work at times tbh. Focus on getting the foyer windows mint if you have time (usually these have large entrance windows or whatever). Algae off school sign is always a win. Remember to document your work as you go as sending pics with the invoice to the clients is a nice touch. Good luck

We cleaned Huntcliff School in Saltburn by the Sea for 8 years. On Google Earth its the grey coloured roof U shaped buildings. On the West wing the building is 3 stories needing a 40' pole. The school has 2 balconys with windows and doors as well as Cawlpanels. The Atrium and school entrance conservatory were also high. The externals used to take us around 30 hours to complete.

We cleaned the school during the summer school holidays. Saturday morning was not the best day as there was always some activities going on. I had keys to the front gate so we could come and go as we liked. But we always had to work around other trades and school after care activities.

I'm glad we no longer clean the school and wouldn't want it back if they asked. And the windows are very dirty.

Thanks guys, both very insightful responses and have given me a lot to think about! I will probably have to split it over a couple of Saturdays!
The pressure washing of the paving around the windows was the most irritating. They always decided to do it after we had cleaned the ground windows. I came to the conclusion is that facilities managers have no idea how to schedule work tasks with contractors. We would be on and off that clean for a couple of weeks.

Back