Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How long would this take you?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi folks, just looking for a little help and to judge if I’m getting my quotes right. How long would you expect this to take you to do the outside WFP and inside trad? It’s the door and the two window units to the left and the two to the right. 

D6A7FB09-5AB8-4C60-A5AF-BD75F5A2CF89.png

Ground floor only? 10-15 minutes outside if done regularly.

Inside impossible to tell, as it depends on how much stuff they have packed up against the windows.

That’s gonna take at least half hour, more like 40 mins to trad the inside of all of that. Outsides 20 mins, i’d just dedicate an hour to it ?‍♂️
(Maintenance clean) 1st clean i’d allow for more if you’re bringing out glass scrapers etc

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not getting on to you @Pattingham Window Cleaning, this is a comment aimed at all the Newbies, it is far better for your personal business development skills to look at the job and price it the way you think it should be, even if you're clueless. You will get it wrong many times but at least you will learn by doing so. Listening to multiple people on here is confusing, even to an old codger like me. You will get £100 variations, £200 from @Pjj? on £150 jobs.  If you listen to the high price and miss it you'll think I should've listened to the lowest price. Then again you quote the lowest price and then get it and hate the job as it's underpriced. 

The technical information supplied on here however, from the many boffins, is priceless. In finishing my drink fuelled lecture, you will learn far more quoting blind and far more asking technical / business advice, however good luck in your venture. 

I'm not getting on to you [mention=5260]Pattingham Window Cleaning[/mention], this is a comment aimed at all the Newbies, it is far better for your personal business development skills to look at the job and price it the way you think it should be, even if you're clueless. You will get it wrong many times but at least you will learn by doing so. Listening to multiple people on here is confusing, even to an old codger like me. You will get £100 variations, £200 from [mention=2439]Pjj[/mention][emoji16] on £150 jobs.  If you listen to the high price and miss it you'll think I should've listened to the lowest price. Then again you quote the lowest price and then get it and hate the job as it's underpriced. 
The technical information supplied on here however, from the many boffins, is priceless. In finishing my drink fuelled lecture, you will learn far more quoting blind and far more asking technical / business advice, however good luck in your venture. 
I agree with part timer to us Window Cleaning veterans before the internet we just priced jobs as to how long it would take to hit our hourly rate.
Sometimes you'd hit the numbers and sometimes you'd be underpriced and that's how you learnt
It's great that people on here take time to advise and comment a suggested price but often there's so many variables it leaves me confused.
Or is it just me?

It’s the beauty of a community, Green pro is very straight up front with very good videos no messing around, pjj has helped me out loads in terms of technical advice and how to get around problems, iron giant & the two daves are the “sweet lorraines” their inner strength inspires anyone to get up and go, steve brings a chuckle to it all, and when it all gets too much of a mind boggle, part timer will make you feel that much better about things and you just wish he was close enough to give him a bear hug.
I listen to other peoples bad experiences & muck ups as well to try and avoid getting in the same situations [emoji51].
It’s also good to try and find out which guys are doing the same sort of work as you /have similar size business operations to you, and which ones are close to you geographically.
Everybody on the site has something to bring to the table [emoji41]

Thanks for the comments gents. It’s a fair point to say the prices will vary so much but that’s why I asked how long it’d be expected to take rather than prices you’d charge. I’d already quoted but thought it’d be interesting to see if I’m working quicker or slower. 

Pricing is so subjective but I have to agree its better to make a pricing mistake yourself, I have a job which I priced up nearly 10 years ago at a tenner, it turned out to be under priced even then, for multiple reasons, access, snags,parking,Cobwebs,snail trails,Swallows, etc (nice people, only a bungalow), it should be well over £20 now but I have never put the price up and its still a tenner, I use it as a monthly reminder to get my pricing right,its a kind of penance i make myself pay?

Pricing is so subjective but I have to agree its better to make a pricing mistake yourself, I have a job which I priced up nearly 10 years ago at a tenner, it turned out to be under priced even then, for multiple reasons, access, snags,parking,Cobwebs,snail trails,Swallows, etc (nice people, only a bungalow), it should be well over £20 now but I have never put the price up and its still a tenner, I use it as a monthly reminder to get my pricing right,its a kind of penance i make myself pay?

We all have underpriced work i have a lot of customers that have become  friends and find  it very difficult to put up the price , where as with a new job you give them a price and it’s take it or leave it , also Ime sure that we all have very well paying jobs too , what I want and need to earn will be different to everyone else , also location depends what you can charge to a certain extent as well , I am not intrested in competing on price with other cleaners in my area I trade on quality of the work done , turning up when I say I will and not getting complaints, this is what gets us the jobs we do as so many are unreliable and the quality of what they do is simply shocking , sell yourself and your services with confidence and make sure you deliver and you will prosper ????

I understand that talking about pricing can seem a little pointless but I think it's useful to both existing cleaners and new ones like myself.  It gives a newbie an idea of the potential of the money you can charge, so rather than go in too cheap and undercut the experienced window cleaners you go in at a reasonable price.  The result is that the newbie doesn't work for peanuts and the expert doesn't look like he/she is ripping everyone off.  

I used to operate an Ebay business and the problem was that you are competing against new ebayers that think they are making money, but the reality is that they start off with £10,000, buy lots of stock and sell it at cost price generating high turnover.  They think they are making money but the reality is that they haven't factored in other costs such as the Ebay fee's , the Paypal fee's and costs like travelling to suppliers, so they slowly go broke.  The net result is that they eventually realise when they can't pay the monthly bills, they then disappear.  Now you would think yeah that's great they've gone, but for everyone that goes there is always another that pops up and does exactly the same thing.  People naturally gravitate to the cheapest price so you can't compete.  

So whilst talking about pricing might not seem relevant, I think it is useful, it just gives a better idea of something that a newbie hasn't a clue about.  The last thing I want to see is a race to the bottom like on Ebay.  I want to see a race to the top   :1f603:

Back