Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much a month.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yeah and that means anyone can. I mean your experience as an existing window cleaner is worth naff all and anyone can just start up and do the same.

Learning to clean windows is not hard, not these days.  Learning to become a good window cleaner on the other hand takes time and patience.  

The one key factor that all businesses have in common is customers, without customers you have no business.  

Sometimes people get too tied up on being the 'technician' of a business to realize they also need to be the salesman because with the salesman.....  well it's going to be a VERY slow road. 

Learning to clean windows is not hard, not these days.  Learning to become a good window cleaner on the other hand takes time and patience.  

The one key factor that all businesses have in common is customers, without customers you have no business.  

Sometimes people get too tied up on being the 'technician' of a business to realize they also need to be the salesman because with the salesman.....  well it's going to be a VERY slow road. 
Haha an extremely slow road if you get a salesman who quotes conny roof cleans at £10 ?

WOOAHHH -- STOP RIGHT THERE MATE!!   I NEVER -- I REPEAT NEVER -- (and yes the all caps was deliberate) said anyone SHOULD be earning this or SHOULD be earning that -- If I ever typed those words it was NEVER meant in that fashion.  

What I said is that those numbers ARE achievable regardless of where you are and in that time frame specified above. 

Yes needs and must, personal circumstance etc all plays major rolls in it.   Some will have been laid off and need to replace a level of income to maintain a certain lifestyle and expenses,  some will be retiring from a former career with bank behind them and be looking to a round to 'keep busy' as opposed to earn a certain income and others again will be looking for a part time gig to better suit family life etc.  

When I read of lads (or lasses) starting out I always assume (and yes we all know what assumption makes) that it is a full time enterprise they are jumping into and perhaps because I myself run a full time enterprise.  

What I stated above is that those numbers ARE possible, and quite easily achievable,  Not that they SHOULD be any kind of figures that one MUST hit just that they are doable and within the timeframe specified.    

Hope that clarifies it. 

As you know however I have always been more interested in the development and growth of rounds and as such invest a lot of my time and resources in to doing so, this is the side of the business that interests me more so than the actual window cleaning side of it which is why we have nor franchised the company and also  have our lead generation program and our soon to launch digital canvassing service both of which having been tried and tested to death produce better ROI for anyone than traditional canvassing or purchasing existing rounds. 

For the record I am never nor have ever been against purchasing rounds as long as the deal is right and keep a continual eye on what rounds are for sale in my area and by whom as there are a few I would not mind acquiring and would pay a handsome price for.  
Ah I see what you mean. Not a big deal.

Anyway keep up the good work & advice mate ?

”And get in them corners” haha 

Oh dear... this will start a riot... ?

You could be doing at least £2k per month within 3 months and onto £3.5k plus within six months with upper levels only limited by imagination and effort. And this is regardless of where you are in the country.  

I know this is going to start an onslaught of people claiming this variable and that variable but before you do please remember just a couple of factors...  I have canvassed professionally for window cleaners up and down the country and we also own a company designed solely for generating leads and business nation wide so when it comes to round building (and really don't want this to sound egotistical) that is almost more of our speciality than window cleaning. 

No I of course don't share all of our secrets and tips but I will give you the main key factor..... TREAT IT AS A BUSINESS.  Start at 8am no clocking off before 5pm  so what if there's no more windows  to clean, knock doors, drop leaflets stand outside Tesco handing out business cards.... reward is only limited by effort.   

I will now go clean windows and wait for the onslaught. ???

WOOAHHH -- STOP RIGHT THERE MATE!!   I NEVER -- I REPEAT NEVER -- (and yes the all caps was deliberate) said anyone SHOULD be earning this or SHOULD be earning that -- If I ever typed those words it was NEVER meant in that fashion.  

What I said is that those numbers ARE achievable regardless of where you are and in that time frame specified above. 

Yes needs and must, personal circumstance etc all plays major rolls in it.   Some will have been laid off and need to replace a level of income to maintain a certain lifestyle and expenses,  some will be retiring from a former career with bank behind them and be looking to a round to 'keep busy' as opposed to earn a certain income and others again will be looking for a part time gig to better suit family life etc.  

When I read of lads (or lasses) starting out I always assume (and yes we all know what assumption makes) that it is a full time enterprise they are jumping into and perhaps because I myself run a full time enterprise.  

What I stated above is that those numbers ARE possible, and quite easily achievable,  Not that they SHOULD be any kind of figures that one MUST hit just that they are doable and within the timeframe specified.    

Hope that clarifies it. 

As you know however I have always been more interested in the development and growth of rounds and as such invest a lot of my time and resources in to doing so, this is the side of the business that interests me more so than the actual window cleaning side of it which is why we have nor franchised the company and also  have our lead generation program and our soon to launch digital canvassing service both of which having been tried and tested to death produce better ROI for anyone than traditional canvassing or purchasing existing rounds. 

For the record I am never nor have ever been against purchasing rounds as long as the deal is right and keep a continual eye on what rounds are for sale in my area and by whom as there are a few I would not mind acquiring and would pay a handsome price for.  
Does that include down south?

Im stopping in 7-8 years and will be selling my round (over 25 years old)

The van will be sold as well. Bought brand new LAST may, only just done 7000 miles.

So by those maths in 7 years it will still have under 40,000 miles.

Does that include down south?

Im stopping in 7-8 years and will be selling my round (over 25 years old)

The van will be sold as well. Bought brand new LAST may, only just done 7000 miles.

So by those maths in 7 years it will still have under 40,000 miles.
Never know if you're jesting or not Ginge however as I recall you're in an area where I have family interests so if the deal is right then sure we can talk. 

You should be doing at least £2k per month within 3 months and onto £3.5k plus within six months with upper levels only limited by imagination and effort. And this is regardless of where you are in the country.  

I know this is going to start an onslaught of people claiming this variable and that variable but before you do please remember just a couple of factors...  I have canvassed professionally for window cleaners up and down the country and we also own a company designed solely for generating leads and business nation wide so when it comes to round building (and really don't want this to sound egotistical) that is almost more of our speciality than window cleaning. 

No I of course don't share all of our secrets and tips but I will give you the main key factor..... TREAT IT AS A BUSINESS.  Start at 8am no clocking off before 5pm  so what if there's no more windows  to clean, knock doors, drop leaflets stand outside Tesco handing out business cards.... reward is only limited by effort.   

Reading this the first time I must say I did roll my eyes, however thinking back over my own experience, you are correct. I would be were I want to be by now if I had canvassed properly, highlighted by the fact that on Sunday, the first time canvassing properly for a while, I picked up half a day's worth of work. So aye, get out there knocking doors people!

How much from month to month is the average window cleaner making I have read some crazy figures from £200 a day to only £50.

Sorry if this is a personal question and isn't allowed on here.

£50 would be a crazy figure. I'm sure most established window cleaners on here do well over £200 a day (if they want to). One lad on here works something like 3 days a week and he's happy with that. There's only so much just one man can earn a day, so that's where people go and employ (if they want more money). I read a post on the other forum where a lad employs and his employee averages £454 a day. The same poster does come across as a b/s merchant from reading other posts he's put up.

Great replies in here,

With online marketing and door to door sales paid advertising and a website shouldn't be too hard to build up a round. I will also be employing someone to do driveways and guttering. So hopefully this time next year I will be earning over £3k per month.

You should be doing at least £2k per month within 3 months and onto £3.5k plus within six months with upper levels only limited by imagination and effort. And this is regardless of where you are in the country.  

I agree 2 k per month is only £500 per week that should be fairly easy to achieve, especially with add ons providing you arnt to cheap , I think this is a very realistic post well done Darran totaly agree with all you have said 

£50 would be a crazy figure. I'm sure most established window cleaners on here do well over £200 a day (if they want to). One lad on here works something like 3 days a week and he's happy with that. There's only so much just one man can earn a day, so that's where people go and employ (if they want more money). I read a post on the other forum where a lad employs and his employee averages £454 a day. The same poster does come across as a b/s merchant from reading other posts he's put up.
I have days where I only earn £50 but those days aren't full to be fair and I'm done in a couple of hours. I'm struggling to knock out over £200 on the full days now the sun is going down at half 4. I think that's because of travel, gonna move everyone around. I go back to the same streets a few times for people on the same cycle, must sort that out!

I have days where I only earn £50 but those days aren't full to be fair and I'm done in a couple of hours. I'm struggling to knock out over £200 on the full days now the sun is going down at half 4. I think that's because of travel, gonna move everyone around. I go back to the same streets a few times for people on the same cycle, must sort that out!
Go on holiday or take off ill. Tell them all you'll be late (all are fine) then use that as excuse to rearrange. ? 

Go on holiday or take off ill. Tell them all you'll be late (all are fine) then use that as excuse to rearrange. ? 
I've let myself get to a bigger problem than that to be honest. I sold the service on a 4/6/8 week cycle. As long as it divided by 2 I figured I was good to go. Never dealt with this while the round was small, now I'm pulling in some good money some days are stacked with work and others are all but empty. I've put together a plan where I will do 4 and 8 weekers on certain days of the week and 6 weekers on other days. Say for an example, Monday, Tuesday and Friday each week might be 4 and 8 weekers and Wednesday Thursday 6 weekers. Put myself in one area each day and then I know which areas I need to gain more customers in to fill that part of the round. I'm creeping towards 300 customers though so i've let it become a big task.

I've let myself get to a bigger problem than that to be honest. I sold the service on a 4/6/8 week cycle. As long as it divided by 2 I figured I was good to go. Never dealt with this while the round was small, now I'm pulling in some good money some days are stacked with work and others are all but empty. I've put together a plan where I will do 4 and 8 weekers on certain days of the week and 6 weekers on other days. Say for an example, Monday, Tuesday and Friday each week might be 4 and 8 weekers and Wednesday Thursday 6 weekers. Put myself in one area each day and then I know which areas I need to gain more customers in to fill that part of the round. I'm creeping towards 300 customers though so i've let it become a big task.
Ahh man you have indeed! Though view it for what it is, a nice problem to have! ? One thing I have found works is tell a new customer their second clean will be early (like, in three weeks instead of four) as in brings them inline with there neighbours. I've never had anyone take issue with this as. Another technique is to do a early clean free of charge. You miss out on that months pay but it saves you money and hassle in the long run. I did two the other day and they were both fine with it.  

I'm  strong believer that you should run it like a business that could work if it had 10 workers or just 1 (you). Then you realise there is an actual minimum you HAVE to be able to earn to make it viable (more like £40+ p/h in our current system in the UK).

"why should i if i'm only gonna be a one man band till i retire?" Because that round will go for a heck of a lot more when you do.

At the end of the day it all hangs on one thing - How good you are at selling. How good you are at convincing the customer that they should pay your prices (which should be high - very high). If you don't want to (then get a job where people don't have a choice - like emergency plumbing)

Back