Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much earnings per day

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I earn twice as much as half. 
we have just had the Covid pandemic. Some of the  big earners or so they say have quickly needed universal credit. Why? How? If there earnings are that good. 
You should never discuss finance. If you look at what Darren has said, he has a right to say it. I have some lovely friends etc but if they ask me how much I earn I would say that’s my business. I think it’s rude to ask how much someone earns, just put it into context. 
Darren is a helpful bloke just look at all videos he’s made to help people. 

I earn twice as much as half. 
we have just had the Covid pandemic. Some of the  big earners or so they say have quickly needed universal credit. Why? How? If there earnings are that good. 
You should never discuss finance. If you look at what Darren has said, he has a right to say it. I have some lovely friends etc but if they ask me how much I earn I would say that’s my business. I think it’s rude to ask how much someone earns, just put it into context. 
Darren is a helpful bloke just look at all videos he’s made to help people. 

I believe the opposite. If we want to get to optimum pricing structure then we must talk about prices. Only then will we all come to the same conclusion. fwiw

Different areas, different prices. We don’t all come to same conclusion. Never will. 
That's why its good to talk about prices, only then do we gain understanding and knowledge about it and the wisdom comes from experience. History tells us this, those that ignore history generally repeat it. I got all my pricing structure from this forum. ?

That's why its good to talk about prices, only then do we gain understanding and knowledge about it and the wisdom comes from experience. History tells us this, those that ignore history generally repeat it. I got all my pricing structure from this forum. ?
A lot of people come on this forum who are new, straight away their asking how much can I earn in a day? 
What they need to do is think realistically, is this the job for me. Am I self motivated, can I get the gear to do it, can I gain the customers, look at the bigger picture. Too many think window cleaning £100-£400 a day I’m going to do it. Not got a clue just see £££s. There on here daily asking the simplistic questions. Like they need everybody to sort things out for them, people need help yes, I needed help at the start, I still do, I’ve helped people too in many ways, we can all help each other. But you have to know some basics. You know yourself too when you first start your slow, so why straight away would you ask how much you can earn in a day. Get stuck it, be determined and crack on, that’s the first stage. 

A lot of people come on this forum who are new, straight away their asking how much can I earn in a day? 
What they need to do is think realistically, is this the job for me. Am I self motivated, can I get the gear to do it, can I gain the customers, look at the bigger picture. Too many think window cleaning £100-£400 a day I’m going to do it. Not got a clue just see £££s. There on here daily asking the simplistic questions. Like they need everybody to sort things out for them, people need help yes, I needed help at the start, I still do, I’ve helped people too in many ways, we can all help each other. But you have to know some basics. You know yourself too when you first start your slow, so why straight away would you ask how much you can earn in a day. Get stuck it, be determined and crack on, that’s the first stage. 

Most important is what price to charge so where does anyone get that info? Price too high, result no work, price too low and one becomes demoralised and gives up. Only experience and knowledge of pricing will give you continuity. I'm off to work as I have 9 cleans to do. ?

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this topic. This has been a great post for me. I used to do Window Cleaning 20 years ago traditional as a sideline to top up my wages working in an offide. 20 years on, I miss it and want to get back to it. The industry has changed a lot in that time, and I'm looking to set up initially (following advice on this forum) with a gardiner backpack, pole etc. But, circumstance and responsibility change and have a big noose around my neck called a mortgage. So for me to take the plunge and give up my current job and go back to a job I enjoyed, I need to have an idea of what I could "potentially" earn as Mr Bank Manager expects me to pay every month. It is such a minefield now, with start up costs and regional differences in pricing.  Even now, I'm not sure which RO system to go for. Alongside the back pack ?

If window cleaners keep telling everyone they are earning £250 a day for 6 hours work... It wont be long before they wont be.

The more competition normally means prices will drop!

Newbies getting in to it based on these figures are not being realistic. 

Learning how to window clean, learning about all the best equipment and setups.. going out and getting the customer's and building around. And if they have never run a business before learning how to run a business.

It's probably a 2 year's process for a lot of people.

If window cleaners keep telling everyone they are earning £250 a day for 6 hours work... It wont be long before they wont be.

The more competition normally means prices will drop!

Newbies getting in to it based on these figures are not being realistic. 

Learning how to window clean, learning about all the best equipment and setups.. going out and getting the customer's and building around. And if they have never run a business before learning how to run a business.

It's probably a 2 year's process for a lot of people.
Yeah that's true, it's looking like it will be 2 years for me to be earning a decent steady income.  

Most people aren't cut out for it though, so whilst they might be attracted to the talk of good money they won't actually be able to achieve it and just end up giving it up for the next money making opportunity.  Grass is always greener and all that.

It is good to talk about prices though.  I no way in a million years would be charging the prices I do without the advice regarding prices on here.  It's not because I don't dare quote them, it's just because I didn't realise how much things have moved on from the 90's £5 a house.  In short, when I was looking into it as was thinking £15 p.h would be good money, if I had gone in at that price I would have failed before I had got started and it also would have under priced my local market to the detriment of the other window cleaners.  So I think it is good to talk about pricing, helps us all to earn a bit more and push the boundaries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darren does have a valid point and it made me chuckle (rare these days) but i don't believe it's a one glove fits all situation. Some are happy to discuss their earnings, others aren't.

I've been in hospital and heard doctors and nurses at the nurses station discussing what they earn - all very open about it even though us patients could hear them. Conversely I once asked a very chatty paramedic in the back of an ambulance what they earn and they changed topic on me!

Many public roles  have their salary ranges published online so you have a rough idea what they earn..

I've discussed hourly rates with mates, colleagues, friends etc. Most are happy to talk about it but those in sectors which would suffer if more people entered it tend to be the ones who are the most secretive about it along with those who you don't know that well. With that said, i asked a public worker once what they earned (I was unemployed and looking for work) and he told me straight away. Never met the bloke before but we ended up having a chat for about 5 mins about it - he was telling me it was an awful amount to earn while i was thinking "crikey that's rockstar money - i'd be minted earning that". Needless to say i applied for that role and got it lol.. walked 6 months later due to the company attitude but i did earn decent money from it

The subject of pricing is a difficult one for me :

Is it better to just do my own thing and not discuss it, for fear of too many people setting up and potentially driving down the prices? Or is it better to discuss it and encourage folk to charge a fairly high, professional rate in hopes of keeping the rates buoyant for us all?

I've made the decision to go with the second option in the hope that we can all thrive. My son and I aim for £100 an hour as a fast, efficient team on the brushes. We mostly achieve somewhere near that and we quite often exceed it on established compact work and on larger houses in the outlying villages and countryside. Of course there's travel in between which isn't paid as such. None of it is easy, every penny is worked hard for.

What I will say to the new starters on here is ; remember where you started and where you were getting your advice. Please, do not drive down the prices for yourselves or the rest of us who have worked very hard to build our businesses and been kind enough to offer a hand of assistance to help you up the ladder. That's not the reason for going self employed. Don't be tempted to go in cheap, even if you're just starting. I held my nerve and figured and charged what I thought was a professional rate from day one. It was the correct decision as I soon started to recruit new customers at a decent rate. They could sense that I was new to the game. Some tried it on but I stood my ground.

All my working life in employment I found petty jealousies and disloyalty from my peers (I've always done my own thing : nice vehicles, camping, sea angling, kayaking). I couldn't talk football or TV soaps. I was loyal to my work colleagues but I never went out of my way to appease, each to our own. We could have helped each other to improve our lot. As I've said before. I want us all to thrive. I do worry a bit about the trade becoming overwhelmed. If we are sensible I think there's room enough for all of us to prosper but if we're not careful we could destroy it. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that's true, it's looking like it will be 2 years for me to be earning a decent steady income.  

Most people aren't cut out for it though, so whilst they might be attracted to the talk of good money they won't actually be able to achieve it and just end up giving it up for the next money making opportunity.  Grass is always greener and all that.

It is good to talk about prices though.  I no way in a million years would be charging the prices I do without the advice regarding prices on here.  It's not because I don't dare quote them, it's just because I didn't realise how much things have moved on from the 90's £5 a house.  In short, when I was looking into it as was thinking £15 p.h would be good money, if I had gone in at that price I would have failed before I had got started and it also would have under priced my local market to the detriment of the other window cleaners.  So I think it is good to talk about pricing, helps us all to earn a bit more and push the boundaries.
I’m not talking about discussing prices that’s different.Again it varies on different areas. We all need guidance.  I’m talking about discussing what you earn, at the end of the day it doesn’t matter. So long as it meets the individuals needs, it’s not just all about money. You hear people saying I earn big money, like I’ve mentioned earlier if so why like now are they grabbing universal credit? Can’t manage going to have to get straight back to work etc. If they earn what they say, maybe they need money management lessons. We are all different with different outgoings. Some are just topping up their income, paying no tax etc so these types work cheap. That’s why when they go quote they say they can do it cheaper. We who do it right are up against that too. Rant over??

The subject of pricing is a difficult one for me :

Is it better to just do my own thing and not discuss it, for fear of too many people setting up and potentially driving down the prices? Or is it better to discuss it and encourage folk to charge a fairly high, professional rate in hopes of keeping the rates buoyant?

I've made the decision to go with the second option in the hope that we can all thrive. My son and I aim for £100 an hour as a fast, efficient team on the brushes. We mostly achieve somewhere near that and we quite often exceed it on established compact work and on larger houses in the outlying villages and countryside. Of course there's travel in between which isn't paid as such. None of it is easy, every penny is worked hard for.

What I will say to the new starters on here is ; remember where you started and where you were getting your advice. Please, do not drive down the prices for yourselves or the rest of us who have worked very hard to build our businesses and been kind enough to offer a hand of assistance to help you up the ladder. That's not the reason for going self employed.

All my working life in employment I found petty jealousies from my peers (I've always done my own thing : nice vehicles, camping, sea angling, kayaking). I couldn't talk football or TV soaps, each to our own. We could have helped each other to improve our lot. As I've said before. I want us all to thrive. I do worry a bit about the trade becoming overwhelmed. But if we are sensible I think there's room enough for all of us to prosper but if we're not careful we could destroy it. ?
Totally agree with you we are exactly the same sometimes a bit less per hour and some of the time £150 per man per hour , that’s not boasting but showing what can be accomplished by  hard work and reliability, and good pricing , I think we all need tk be like the larger retailers that have a minimum price for  a certain product I know it will never happen but would stop theses cheap beer money people  ruining our industry 

I’m not talking about discussing prices that’s different.Again it varies on different areas. We all need guidance.  I’m talking about discussing what you earn, at the end of the day it doesn’t matter. So long as it meets the individuals needs, it’s not just all about money. You hear people saying I earn big money, like I’ve mentioned earlier if so why like now are they grabbing universal credit? Can’t manage going to have to get straight back to work etc. If they earn what they say, maybe they need money management lessons. We are all different with different outgoings. Some are just topping up their income, paying no tax etc so these types work cheap. That’s why when they go quote they say they can do it cheaper. We who do it right are up against that too. Rant over??
Not a rant mate. An adult discussion. ??

Back