Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much quicker is cleaning with hot water?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tryin to justify upgrading to a pure freedom hot water setup from cold...most my work is on a 4 weekly cycle, quite a few 8 weekly, sometimes do first cleans, quite a handful of con roofs etc. I do remember the past couple of winters having to go home about 1-2 hours of starting because the hoses will just freeze up on the ground, a day lost. But ive heard if u have a hot water setup to use it year round, not just a winter thing. I had a really big issue last year from spring to early autumn with fly poo/mess, i was working twice as hard/longer to get it all off the windows, it seemed most my round had it, how does the hot water deal with that - much scrubbing? That alone to me is worth the upgrade...i dont really want to have other nik naks attached to my brush/pole to scrape things off, adding weight. I use visionV2 stuff to put in my tank which seems to work well,but if i upgraded i guess i wouldnt need it? Looking to speed up with less effort too, would love to know how much time it would save on an average day - one man band gotta look after myself, and maximising profit.
We have hot water and use it all year round , we do  a lot of costal work with tons of salt on the windows on this type of work it takes half the time ,that’s not exaggerating hot disolves   salt so quickly .

4-8 weekly again we get loads of dried on seagull poo on windows which is very oily hot water removes this much quicker , we never use scrapers only the brush . 

If you are just cleaning dusty windows then there isn’t much time saving , but we rarely clean this type of window . 

Commercial building cleaning ,cladding ,UPVC,etc cleaning times are again considerably reduced difficulty to say exactly by how much but if you wanted ti you can clean theses things just with hot water and no chemicals , we do however still use virosol  on most of the mentioned items and one pass with the brush that’s all that’s needed . 

We have hot water in all our vans now I wouldn’t be without it , just for easy manageable hoses in the winter it’s worth it for that alone ,apart from the cleaning benefits, many will poo poo what I have said ,but trust me I wouldn’t have spent over 15k on it if there was no benefits , we use 9kw diesel boilers I would thoroughly recommend   them , they arnt cheap to buy or run on fuel though .

As for working in freezing conditions again yes you can with no problem at all , however you do  need to be careful about the water going on paths  etc as this will freeze and cause a slip hazard .

Fly poo ,bee pollen, snail trails will all come off far easier with hot some will take more scrubbing  than others 

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I had hot water I used to lose quite a lot of time because my system was all frozen up. I now have a Grippatank Hot water system which has the benefit of a frost-stat. So if it freezes in the night the boiler turns on and the hot water is recycled around the system ensuring that it never freezes.

In the winter I start up the system on recycle mode on my way to my first job and arrive there with the hoses hot and ready to go. I love this.

Before I had hot water I used to lose quite a lot of time because my system was all frozen up. I now have a Grippatank Hot water system which has the benefit of a frost-stat. So if it freezes in the night the boiler turns on and the hot water is recycled around the system ensuring that it never freezes.

In the winter I start up the system on recycle mode on my way to my first job and arrive there with the hoses hot and ready to go. I love this.
I also have a Grippatank Hot water system since last summer and I didn't need until now to use the anti-freeze during the night. Excepted to connect the hose to the black hose for the recirculation of the water, do you need to set up something in the menu to have the anti-freeze during the night or the system makes it automatically by itself ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a Grippatank Hot water system since last summer and I didn't need until now to use the anti-freeze during the night. Excepted to connect the hose to the black hose for the recirculation of the water, do you need to set up something in the menu to have the anti-freeze during the night or the system makes it automatically by itself ?
Grippa sell their diesel heaters with the frostat function. This facility is on one of the controllers if you have 2. Just ask Grippa for a controller manual on how to operate the function. They will email you a copy.

I don't know how the new controllers work (works automatically) but on the first models you had to manually switch it on. If

@dazmond sees this I'm sure he will explain how it works as he has one of those heaters.

Grippatank set the frost-stat setting ON when they installed my system three years ago and it has remained ON ever since. It is simple to check but it depends which version of the controller you have so check which version controller you have installed and as Spruce suggests get a manual if you don't have one. 

The frost stat  works on both controllers on mine they are linked through a capacitor, you can turn the frost stat  on and off by going into the menu  , it should already be switched on ,you can also adjust the flow rate when it kicks in mine is set to 10 ,it will only fire up when the water in the tank drops below 2 degrees . 

On average how much quicker is cleaning with hot water over cold? I’m thinking of investing in hot water, but need to know how much quicker it will be on average.

100% none . I have a brilliant hotwater system and soon relished I hade been sucked in ,like many others but most would never admit it. I never use the hot now its a complete waste of money as far as being quicker or earning you any more. 

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Depends on the type of cleaning you are doing , as I posted earlier I have invested considerable amounts of money on hot for my vans I certainly would not have done this if there was no benefit . 

Latest Posts

Back