Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much soap do trad guys use?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Think a lot depends on rubbers, sqeegee and technique ,in past i have used washing up liquids and window cleaning soaps . At the moment using a pressurized hand pump connected to wagtail with moerman channel fitted with syr rubber with fliq . 1 litre of water with 5ml GG£ and 1ml of added sparkle works a dream for me and last all day my need top up if really hot day.
If Heinz made window cleaning equipment. ?

I use a 500ml spray bottle with a small glug of 'HG window cleaner' fluid and a little dribble of fairy on my wagtail high flyer..

I also use an empty shower gel bottle with  water in so I can soak my wagtail from time to time as it had one of those nozzles where pressure has to be applied to release the liquid...

I then just have a small 100ml bottle with soap mix which I just add to the sleeve or spray bottle as and when..

I have gorilla glued an old combinator sleeve on to my existing high flyer sleeve and also glued some gliding strips that I butchered from a microfibre floor mop sleeve..

I did this during lockdown as I had time to kill so decided to try the modification..... And to my surprise it has lasted a good 2 months so far ...   Gorilla glue 'waterproof'  is top stuff ..

My belt setup is not too heavy and I have eliminated the bucket altogether...

I'm forever looking at ways to become more efficient...  Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a 500ml spray bottle with a small glug of 'HG window cleaner' fluid and a little dribble of fairy on my wagtail high flyer..

I also use an empty shower gel bottle with  water in so I can soak my wagtail from time to time as it had one of those nozzles where pressure has to be applied to release the liquid...

I then just have a small 100ml bottle with soap mix which I just add to the sleeve or spray bottle as and when..

I have gorilla glued an old combinator sleeve on to my existing high flyer sleeve and also glued some gliding strips that I butchered from a microfibre floor mop sleeve..

I did this during lockdown as I had time to kill so decided to try the modification..... And to my surprise it has lasted a good 2 months so far ...   Gorilla glue 'waterproof'  is top stuff ..

My belt setup is not too heavy and I have eliminated the bucket altogether...

I'm forever looking at ways to become more efficient...  Andrew
Would be interesting for folk to see photos of you modifications ?

Had a bit of trouble compressing the file down but here's 2 photos.

It's not dog eared but does the job excellently and I'm well impressed with it. Far quicker for me than using a mop and blade separately.

The only teething problems that I had were on the gliding strips as the microfibre strands used to creep over the edge of the rubber, but a quick trim with scissors remedied that straight away.

So far so good..

*Less movements.

*Quicker on the glass

*Less friction as glass is moist before bladed 

It holds a decent amount of water too?

SAVE_20200809_213412.jpg

IMG_20200809_214449.jpg

I have the moerman excelerator which is very good for a few awkward windows that I clean, but for the fliq pad you need quite a lot of soap for the slip of the squeegee. It’s good but obviously leaves thicker solution to clean off the sills. The moerman gel is expensive but very good. The unger gel is really good as well.
You don't need a lot of soap.

At the moment I am using my excelerator, liquidators and fliqs etc with a squirt of flash all purpose cleaner (great for dissolving bird poo and general muck) and a squirt of hg glass cleaner in my bucket and a little spray bottle of it on my belt in case the pad starts to dry out.

No juddering or missing bits and no detailing.

That's with razr red also.

You don't need a lot of soap.

At the moment I am using my excelerator, liquidators and fliqs etc with a squirt of flash all purpose cleaner (great for dissolving bird poo and general muck) and a squirt of hg glass cleaner in my bucket and a little spray bottle of it on my belt in case the pad starts to dry out.

No juddering or missing bits and no detailing.

That's with razr red also.
I'm quite interested in the moerman fliq. 

I was chatting to a lad a few weeks ago and he said that it has transformed his working day.   He said he is more efficient and gets the job done quickly but with no quality issues.   I might watch some vids?

I'm quite interested in the moerman fliq. 

I was chatting to a lad a few weeks ago and he said that it has transformed his working day.   He said he is more efficient and gets the job done quickly but with no quality issues.   I might watch some vids?
I had some vids from when they were new that I filmed to show the new guys to moerman tools but since have been deleted.

I'll try and remember to do one tomorrow for you as I got some inside work to do and some bottoms that are suited to trad 

I had some vids from when they were new that I filmed to show the new guys to moerman tools but since have been deleted.

I'll try and remember to do one tomorrow for you as I got some inside work to do and some bottoms that are suited to trad 
Nice one Dave ..

Thank you very much? 

I put a little dash of "Aldi dishwasher rinse aid' in my spray bottle today along with the "HG window cleaner ' fluid ..

Wow !!!!  The rubber just glides effortlessly across the glass and gives a beautiful shine too..   

I've watched a few of Wagga's videos over the years about glide and slip...  And I've become a little obsessive about it myself?

I put a little dash of "Aldi dishwasher rinse aid' in my spray bottle today along with the "HG window cleaner ' fluid ..

Wow !!!!  The rubber just glides effortlessly across the glass and gives a beautiful shine too..   

I've watched a few of Wagga's videos over the years about glide and slip...  And I've become a little obsessive about it myself?
i sent you a vid by pm on here

I think its personal preference, myself i use a glug of fairy in 1/2 gallon water, if my finger tips slid on each other im good to go.

I'm just about to buy the fliq now.

After watching a few videos I'm convinced it will be a brilliant addition to my kit.

Many thanks... Andrew

Hi everyone.

I've just got round to sorting the fliqbout as I've been on holiday and just quite busy in general..

I decided to buy the fliq pad and clip set rather than the full lot as I had various channels in the shed.  

I had a liquidator, unger s plus and wagtail slimline squeegee to experiment with.

I tried it on all three and the clips fitted on without an issue.   I settled in the wagtail slimline and I've got to say it is brilliant..

I'm so impressed at how much water the pad absorbes and holds on to.  Im back at work next week and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

I thought nothing could surpass my modded wagtail high flyer, but this fliq wagtail slimline could well be on a par or even better.

I now have two squeegees which are very easy to use and cut down on the amount of actual physical work that is required.

One thing that I would love is to somehow add gliding strips on to the squeegee - or am I asking for too much!!!?

You may notice the remnants of gorilla glue from my previous disaster mods?.

The only thing I do regret is not buying the fliq years ago

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

IMG_20200827_220445.jpg

IMG_20200827_220623.jpg

IMG_20200827_220531.jpg

EDIT....

Sorry for the camera skills ?

I forgot to mention that I have to work with the pad underneath as when I swivel with the pad on top , the pad hits the window whikts fanning.  It's not an issue for me and I can live with it, but maybe in the future I could try some sort of mod?

EDIT....

Sorry for the camera skills ?

I forgot to mention that I have to work with the pad underneath as when I swivel with the pad on top , the pad hits the window whikts fanning.  It's not an issue for me and I can live with it, but maybe in the future I could try some sort of mod?
It's quicker with it underneath anyway.

No need to flick it just pull squeegee off the glass and let it drop.

I reckon you're right Dave.

Once you've mastered the flick of the fliq pad..... like you do the pad on the wagtail you're away.

The pad is the key with this tool for me as the water retention is fantastic.   Theres so many fine microfibre strands which are soft, but quite thick and substantial to the touch..

I usually use a spray bottle with flexible nozzle to wet windows as I approach......but I won't need to bother now as this pad will do loads of windows with one soaking.   

I'll still keep the spray bottle as it's very handy for first cleans, but I think I'm going to save quite a bit of time.

This fliq pad will pay for itself in no time?

I think I'm obsessed ??

Here's my little one pass attempt using a strip of microfibre off the floor mop which I cut down and gorilla glued on to the bottom of the channel.

It's not the tidiest job as I'm the gorilla glue expands slightly, but once the curing process finished I trimmed it down with a pair of sharp scissors.  

And....... It works a treat..

I get that extra little glide as a fan the window and close out.  There is enough slip to do a few passes by itself too which will be very helpful.

The worst that can happen is it will detach from the channel but I doubt it will.

It is very lightweight and I actually think that this is going to be my #1 for daily use now..

In the photos

* I bought the big orange RAC microfibre cloth for £3 from B & M bargains and it is great for first cleans

* Another bottle of HG window liquid £4 B&Q

* 4 small microfibre towels with a thick weave which are very absorbent- excellent sill cloths  £6 eBay..

Looking forward to using the wagfliqator with the new mod?

IMG_20200828_195539.jpg

IMG_20200828_204807.jpg

IMG_20200828_195439.jpg

IMG_20200828_195504.jpg

In a fit of boredom the other night I watched some You Tube vids, mostly about the Moerman Accelerator which looks like it could be useful for some interior high level work that I do. One thing that struck me is the vast amount of detergent some of these guys were using, I never use anything like the amount when I trad windows, in fact I always found too much to be undesireable.

Is it just me? Do you trad guys lather it on like shaving foam? Please help this old WFP cleaner understand. ?
After trying the Moerman NXT-R I found myself doing exactly that. The rubber was just too elastic and was dragging allot, so I was naturally adding more soap to create slip. After switching back to Unger soft rubber it was back to a quick squirt of soap.

Latest Posts

Back