Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How often should filters need changing.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

@shazzy692002 If it was me I would check the following first before forking out replacing the membrane again.

Regarding tap pressure the system should be fitted with a psi gauge

1. Check ro tap valve on ro so waste/production is set correctly. (see manual)

2. Disconnect hose to inlet side of di tube and check flow rate (measure it) also take ppm reading coming out of ro using a hand held tds meter if need be as should be fitted with an inline one but they are not that accurate

3. Check for kinked hoses, hozelock connection are on properly especially if are stop type. Also blockages as blocked filters can reduced water flow before it gets to the ro. One way to check is by bypassing all ionic pre filter tubes altogether - micron filter etc and borrow or buy a 20 inch 5 micron filter with housing also a 20 inch carbon filter & housing. Set them up before the ro and see if production flow rate improves.

4. Di tube bypass test - temp replace with a di tank to check that it's not affecting the flow rate somehow. By the way many do away with ionic no refillable di tubes and replace it with a refillable di tank instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure a local cleaner near you will be willing to help you out if you ask them nice to do the tests I mentioned with borrowed bits.

Thanks guys.

I dug out my receipts and I had vans extras come out april 2012. he changed Ro membrane (Ro145) at a cost of £180 exc vat.

Thanks @Smurf. I will have a good look at everything at the weekend. will let you know how I get on. Really do appreciate your input, What I really need to do is learn more about my system rather than keep paying out and guessing...

I follow the instructions by the book every day with the back wash and then the flush every weekend. I do agree some windows do spot, but im more concerned about the amount of time it takes to fill.

Funny thing is the ro membrane we had changed just under 2 years ago has gone up by £70.!!!!!

There should be someone out there making replica filters for ionics. they would make a killing..after all the guarantee runs out after a year.

Ionics don't make 4040 ro's and replacement membranes they just buy them in @shazzy692002 . Mind you their prices seem quite compeditive on replacement ro's I wonder why...:rolleyes:

Intersting enough they also do what they call a budget crash tested system (seems over priced) that does away with those silly none refillable tubes. http://www.pure2o.co.uk/?gclid=CL22-tO36bwCFbPItAodNBMAgQ

Myself I prefer to run a static ro system so can produce pure water whilst I'm out working so can refill the van tank when needed. Also having a static ro saves carrying all the extra weight in the van. Downside with a static ro you can't refill on-site when wanting to use pure on demand on large jobs using clients water feed to produce pure.

We fell out haha. The only w/c I don't talk to.
wot was the fallout about if you dont mind me asking ? he used to have a very big round with workers and premises maybe u knew

wot was the fallout about if you dont mind me asking ? he used to have a very big round with workers and premises maybe u knew
I brought half his round off him and the van with ionics system....he just kept trying to screw me over, well he still does, but unsucefully. Every w/c I speak to does not like him....He moves house every 5 min, not sure why. Something suspicious about him.

I am not sure what, but would not trust him as far as I could throw him. Weirdo me thinks. Had heard he was seriously in dept, not sure how true that is.

i hope he sold you decent customers. about 4yrs ago i can remember he was trying to sell up totally and offered me it all for 99000 or 96000 i forget the exact amount [the big pot! ] -yeah right !

6 yrs ago he had the whole town pretty much sewn up at one stage but from wot i hear no worker would stay with him long so praps hes moody or didny pay, or Both!. iv had a couple of brief chats with him, seems harmless

Last edited:
i hope he sold you decent customers. about 4yrs ago i can remember he was trying to sell up totally and offered me it all for 99000 or 96000 i forget the exact amount [the big pot! ] -yeah right !6 yrs ago he had the whole town pretty much sewn up at one stage but from wot i hear no worker would stay with him long so praps hes moody or didny pay, or Both!. iv had a couple of brief chats with him, seems harmless
Believe me he aint harmless, was chatting with another felix windie today and he also said he cant stand him. lol. There has to be a reason not many like him....He had got a lot of customers, prob about 500 all in the town. But im catching him up. haha

I dont own a 4040 and am no expert, but whenever my ppm starts to rise and production slows down i change the carbon filter then its back to normal again (as you mentioned you havent changed prefilters for a long time)

I have now ordered a 4040 online with someone else, after a local w/c advised me I did not have to but from ionics. It should be here tomorrow, so hopefully this will sort the problem, if not.....I WILL BE BACK haha

(£200)

We've revamped a few of these systems so you no longer have to purchase all the expensive filters. Have a new one booked in for next month so will post a few pics.

We've revamped a few of these systems so you no longer have to purchase all the expensive filters. Have a new one booked in for next month so will post a few pics.
So you go out to peoples houses and revamp these?. Or you have just done it on your own systems?. Will look forward to the pictures dude. Thank you

There's a lot more to changing a 4040 than in the video. Yours looks like a 4040 but Ionics fitted lot of systems with their own brand 4030.

The revamp we do on site in our warehouse/shop as people what to get rid of the filters which cost around £80 a time. Here is a a system where we just did a DI upgrade.

ionics.jpg

bit late now as you've already brought a replacement 40-40 but i would of looked at changing the the softener filter and carbon rather than a membrane i had the same problem last year spotting now and again i changed them 2 filters and it was job done haven't had any problems since, id also 2nd what smurf said as well about the di's them colour changing non refillable ones are expensive and dont seem to last that long when mine expired on both ionics systems iv had changed to the standard ones that all other systems use and it defintaly saves money in the long run

The top 2 filters tell me to change them every 3000000 litres, but the counter is at 2533400.

Where are you based Doug?

I still can't see both the carbon & 5 micron tube filters on ionic systems lasting that long (300,000 litres) myself especially living in a hard water area. We also know what happens when they work on the mains water supply to mend leaking/broken pipes as when the pressurise the mains back up loads of **** comes out of a taps too :rolleyes:

why does it say I'm offline @Gav whilst I'm posting stuff ?

Don't worry gav I've just logged out & back in again so now showing I'm online

Back