Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How on Earth.....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The metal things might be there for snow...

I would soak that for a good thirty minutes, before I went at it. You might get it in one go then. Be hard to get it out with it being on a corner. Let us know if you mange to get it out. Working of step ladders might help, shorter pole more suction. 

I had a bad one the other day, I had to put fifty litres of hot water on it to get it out. Used a Gardiners  Backpack to put the water on it max power. Flow rate was not that great, might of been faster using a tap. Got there in the end.

The metal things might be there for snow...

I would soak that for a good thirty minutes, before I went at it. You might get it in one go then. Be hard to get it out with it being on a corner. Let us know if you mange to get it out. Working of step ladders might help, shorter pole more suction. 

I had a bad one the other day, I had to put fifty litres of hot water on it to get it out. Used a Gardiners  Backpack to put the water on it max power. Flow rate was not that great, might of been faster using a tap. Got there in the end.
Thanks for that, I will update tomorrow evening on whether I manage to remove it or not...

Depending on what the metal bits on the gutters are I would remove the hedgehogs with the gutter spike , and vac the grass out in chunks , I suspect that it will also be up that roof valley so would also vac that at the same time sometimes these jobs are quick and easy sometimes they are a right pita 

Yea but think of the glory if it does get removed, when all others have failed ?

We love doing jobs that others have failed to do ????

Thanks for that, I will update tomorrow evening on whether I manage to remove it or not...
Hi all...

Just to update regarding the awkward location etc of the vegetarian growing in the gutter, I managed to remove it all today with the gutter vac, the metal bars around the gutter were a right pain as growth was going through these bars & was hard to get the vac pipe into the right location to get a good suck!

The job took around half hour & managed to suck out more of what wasn’t on view including clumps of grass & weed.

Customer was well please & feared he would have to have splashed out on scaffolding  to remove it in such an awkward location & obstacles in the way of the guttering.

I appreciate there are mixed views on gutter vacs, but on this occasion it has worked wonders where I’m sure all other methods would fail, be too dangerous or cost a silly amount!

Here are the pics...

1B1730CB-65A0-47EB-8D6D-58389CD3C5CD.jpeg

Well done boyo! I dread to think would have happened to me knowing my luck. most likely a VAC attachment getting stuck up there with it ?

Hi all...

Just to update regarding the awkward location etc of the vegetarian growing in the gutter, I managed to remove it all today with the gutter vac, the metal bars around the gutter were a right pain as growth was going through these bars & was hard to get the vac pipe into the right location to get a good suck!

The job took around half hour & managed to suck out more of what wasn’t on view including clumps of grass & weed.

Customer was well please & feared he would have to have splashed out on scaffolding  to remove it in such an awkward location & obstacles in the way of the guttering.

I appreciate there are mixed views on gutter vacs, but on this occasion it has worked wonders where I’m sure all other methods would fail, be too dangerous or cost a silly amount!

Here are the pics...

View attachment 16186

There you go most jobs are doable with a vac if you know how to use it , well done 

What Vac and poles do you use and did you get it in one ?
I purchased  the vac from machine mart, it’s called wet cat, I’ve adapted it to a 100mm inlet, really powerful machine with great spec, I also use carbon fibre tubes!

because it was awkward.. I got small clumps out at a time, once the tube was positioned to get a seal around the root everything simply lifted out

There was I thinking Monty Don would be needed, hope they gave you a tip.
No tip but I priced it accordingly, 2 mugs of tea & a big smile on his face... job satisfaction 100%

Well done boyo! I dread to think would have happened to me knowing my luck. most likely a VAC attachment getting stuck up there with it ?
Cheers, yea the job did have a couple of risks but all went smoothly, I’d be at a loss if the nozzle came off up there ?

Cheers, yea the job did have a couple of risks but all went smoothly, I’d be at a loss if the nozzle came off up there ?
Oh aye, i’ve been there a couple of times bud, got the dirt breaker stuck in a downpipe once, another time carbon fibre poles separated. Both times ladder off to go and retrieve.

Now since buying pro gutter tools i’m much more at ease using them over extensions or connys if possible rather than a vac because its not such a worry of the vac becoming stuck

Oh aye, i’ve been there a couple of times bud, got the dirt breaker stuck in a downpipe once, another time carbon fibre poles separated. Both times ladder off to go and retrieve.

Now since buying pro gutter tools i’m much more at ease using them over extensions or connys if possible rather than a vac because its not such a worry of the vac becoming stuck
Yea there is always a risk, but we can’t always live by “what if” just go for it & if the worse does happen.. deal with it... or just run ?‍♂️ ?

I can’t say i’m the dare devil type but each to their own & well done again ?

I live by the code, if it sounds like a nightmare, & looks like a nightmare, it probably will be...a nightmare ?

i haven’t got the suction power to be dealing with that kind of stuff so you stood a better chance. Skyvac atom we have. Been toying with upgrading the vac for ages now but WFP split & needed replacing, mega van service, couple of bags of resin, van tax & a few other bits & bobs next thing i know we’ve spent 3 grand ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t say i’m the dare devil type but each to their own & well done again ?

I live by the code, if it sounds like a nightmare, & looks like a nightmare, it probably will be...a nightmare ?

i haven’t got the suction power to be dealing with that kind of stuff so you stood a better chance. Skyvac atom we have. Been toying with upgrading the vac for ages now but WFP split & needed replacing, mega van service, couple of bags of resin, van tax & a few other bits & bobs next thing i know we’ve spent 3 grand ?
Yea there is always something or someone waiting to drain ur cash, but I made sure in the beginning when I had good cash flow that I purchased a decent vac & it’s not failed me yet on several jobs ?

Yea there is always something or someone waiting to drain ur cash, but I made sure in the beginning when I had good cash flow that I purchased a decent vac & it’s not failed me yet on several jobs ?
I reckon i’ve turned down 5 or 6 jobs where i needed a decent vac & knew ours wouldn't stand a chance. Reckon ive lost £400 due to that?

I cant justify the expense as we’re not doing any commercial jobs.

most of ours can be done by hand if not by vac as we’re all residential. The bigger vacs weigh a fair bit & are less maneuverable & i have a weak back see.

Had a call for a huuuge 40 ft apartment block about 2 months ago. I put it on to a big commercial company. 

Even if i had a super vac i knew for a fact every downpipe was blocked & loads of huge tree twigs in there. Vacs only suit mossy & muddy gutters really, once you're talking overhanging trees and loads of tree debris then i imagine it would render even the more powerful vacs useless.

Its all about weighing up risks and practicality for me. 

Just suck the leaves, remove the suction, let the leaves drop to the ground, carry on. Never had a job i could not complete with my vac.

I sucked out a spanner the other day... Left up there and vegetation had grown around it, it was wedged in... Took a while a lot of soaking of the vegetation.

I've sucked out roof tiles, not broken bits.

I sucked out a spanner the other day... Left up there and vegetation had grown around it, it was wedged in... Took a while a lot of soaking of the vegetation.

I've sucked out roof tiles, not broken bits.
? thats so cool man!! Sounds like a beast of a vac. I found a floorboard lifter/nail puller once. That was a job & a half. Filled the skyvac 5 times there was that much moss in them. Big bungalow. Think it took well over 2 hours just to clear the gutters out and that was with 2 of us one on the bucket one on the vac

Last edited by a moderator:
Back