Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to make DI resin last longer ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Personally I would hold off till Monday and phone Daqua, the trouble is with Collins water upon checking their website, all there systems are the same with same listing an R/O built for an aquarium is no were near as good as what we need for window cleaning, the membranes and pre-filters will be cheaper inferior products. 

I already bought the one from Collins water supplies due to daqua being out of stock. I wasn't sure when they would be back in stock and wanted to get it sorted asap. The one I bought does say specifically that its for water fed pole systems and based on TWC's comments they apparently work really well and filters last for a long time. So I'm just going off the advice I have received from TWC and Philip hardy at this point. If it doesn't work out I guess I'll have to try and get one from daqua again. I just hope I've made the right decision.

It will do the job but everyone seems to have a different opinion on when to change filters but this is what I stress all the time is changing them to specification etc..

Every person water structure is different so it will vary up and down the country.

Sediment filters change when they are brown from inside to outside and this will depend how much sediment you have in your water. They are normally good for 10k litres going in but some areas the sediment may be less so you can get away with it being longer. For instance our water has sediment but just lately it is bad and one filter has just lasted me four days just testing systems. Normally a good month or so.

Carbon filters check the specification don't buy cheap as I have seen a lot of burn marks on membrane sheeting caused by this. A good filter is Pentair CFB Plus 10 as value for money these are better than cheap ones. Again it all depends on how much Chlorine is being put in your water. A good way to test is purchased some Chlorine strips from a aquatic place and test your waste water every week. If you get a reading then change your carbon filter.

Chlorine will damage your membrane and there is too much wrong advise given on forums. Someone posted on a forum there is no need to flush as there is no need. People then think he is correct and the manufacturer who produces the membranes are talking rubbish when the strongly advise flush your membranes regularly. Check the specification of the product.

Calcium is another element that will clog up your membranes but you need to see if it is cost effective to have one.

Hi guys

Just wanted to post a quick update. Got the RO system all setup and currently producing a tds of 26ppm. Seem to be actually getting more pure water than waste water as its just a little dribble of waste coming out, I'd say like a 2:1 ratio. I have to admitt I was excited to see a lower tds of about 8ppm but I will take 26 as its still so much better than 295 (starting to think my TDS meter might be faulty). Taking a very long time to fill up containers though (say over an hour for 25 litres) so I might look into the booster pump.

Hi guys

Just wanted to post a quick update. Got the RO system all setup and currently producing a tds of 26ppm. Seem to be actually getting more pure water than waste water as its just a little dribble of waste coming out, I'd say like a 2:1 ratio. I have to admitt I was excited to see a lower tds of about 8ppm but I will take 26 as its still so much better than 295 (starting to think my TDS meter might be faulty). Taking a very long time to fill up containers though (say over an hour for 25 litres) so I might look into the booster pump.
Glad you've gone and got one @rafterys2003 have you ran the RO for a while before testing the tds? Like you my starting water was 330 but after RO came out at 008, this was after a hour or so running it through so I'd say it should go down a fair bit lower. However, if your meter is faulty then you may well be getting a much lower ppm. Best thing to do is buy another meter and compare, I've got two and they both read off the same.

Just to add my water after RO (starting at 252 now, mains supply must have changed) now comes out at 038, now that's after six months and only the prefilters have been changed, so I know it's the memebranes that need attention.

Once your down much lower I would certainly look at a booster pump. Again like you it took me 45 mins to make 25 litres of pure. With the booster I can make double that. Also if you have space get a ibc tank for storage then you can just turn it all on and leave it alone for hours on end. 

Left it running for a few hours still 24ppm. If I turn the blue tap and flush then it comes down to 15ppm but when I turn back its goes up to 24ppm again. Is this normal ?

Thanks

Hi guys

You need a storage tank, so you can can produce and store water whilst at work, even two 200ltr water butt's joined together will suffice, then fill directly from them. 

I am running the water into the RO via a long hose pipe does that make a difference or does it work better when the link is shorter ?

Thats a good point. My tank is in the garage, when's I first began I had everything mounted on a sack truck. I'd wheel it out, hook it up and get my barrels in a line right beside the tap. Now it's much further away. Sure the pressure drop will be an issue?

Just took the membranes out and re seated them. Flushed before using and was getting 13ppm. Stop flushing now back up to 22ppm. I guess I'll have to contact the seller.
something doesnt seem right how you've set it up, or how they set it up for you, like doug said. you get good figure when flushing and not otherwise? seems odd, like the flush water seems good to go through the di. but then what of the waste? yes I would speak to the supplier tomorrow and go through with them the proper process/set up,and explain your results, just to make sure. best bet before continuing for now i reckon.

Just took the membranes out and re seated them. Flushed before using and was getting 13ppm. Stop flushing now back up to 22ppm. I guess I'll have to contact the seller.

The flow restrictor is at fault then. You have more pure than waste. When that happens the ppm creeps up so contact the supplier to resolve. Those membranes need to be set a 60|40 waste/pure. If the pure increases so does your ppm.

Hi Guys

Had a chat with the supplier, did some tweaking with the flush tap now I'm getting 14ppm at a 50/50 pure/waste rate which I'm pretty happy with, all running into a 250 litre water butt. Only problem I have now is the pressure from the water butt isn't enough to push the water through a pipe into my vehicle. Can I ask what you guys use or do to accomplish this ?

Thanks

Hi Guys

Had a chat with the supplier, did some tweaking with the flush tap now I'm getting 14ppm at a 50/50 pure/waste rate which I'm pretty happy with, all running into a 250 litre water butt. Only problem I have now is the pressure from the water butt isn't enough to push the water through a pipe into my vehicle. Can I ask what you guys use or do to accomplish this ?

Thanks
 A submersible pump, with hose attached mines a clarkes, was about £35 from machine mart but many places do them. it empties a 250 litre butt into my van tank in about 15/20 minutes. All expense, i know, but should last forever.

Latest Posts

Back