Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hse Pulling Blokes Up !

WCF

Help Support WCF:

there are many fakers out there but if you phone the insurer up and say is this bloke is real then its either yes or no on the phone its no more than 5 mins phone call that can save you thousands

there are many fakers out there but if you phone the insurer up and say is this bloke is real then its either yes or no on the phone its no more than 5 mins phone call that can save you thousands
Spot on mate

Just to clarify public liability is not a legal requirement but it is good business practice. Domestic customers don't usually ask but commercial clients do and most will request to see a copy of your certs including employers liability where applicable.

Is employers liability a legal requirement?

It is a legal requirement to hold employers liability insurance following legislation passed by the government in 1969. The following rules dictate whether employers liability is required:

• If you are not a limited company, then employers liability is required whenever you have staff - that is people who work for you excluding business partners or family members. Labour-only subcontractors are considered to be staff. These include any person working under your guidance and using your tools and equipment.
  • If you are a limited company consisting only of yourself, and manual and clerical staff, where you own more than 51% of the business, then employers liability insurance is not required.
  • If you are a limited company consisting only of yourself, and manual and clerical staff, but own less than 51% of the business then employers liability insurance is required.
  • If you are a limited company with more than one person then employers liability insurance is always required.

It's got me thinking about doing all tops wfp but more worried about losing customers to be honest .

but on the other hand i have only had 1 customer complain about his house getting "wet" .
What a nonsensical line of reasoning! I had a couple of customers say that 2 me. I asked what they did when it rained. Did they rush outside and pull a great tarpaulin over their house??!! They soon found the funny side of it and stayed as customers...

What a nonsensical line of reasoning! I had a couple of customers say that 2 me. I asked what they did when it rained. Did they rush outside and pull a great tarpaulin over their house??!! They soon found the funny side of it and stayed as customers...
I know what you are saying but to be honest this bloke im on about there is no reasoning i tried to explain things to him and he just could not grasp the idea of it .

To get back to the original thread subject, we had 2 guys in telford pulled up by hse who were working alone off ladders a few years ago. Hse asked if they had heard of wfp. They said yes and they couldn't afford it, as you know wfp stuff is a lot cheaper now. Hse said cost was not an excuse. They said when corgi registration was introduced, it became law. It didn't matter how old you were, how long you had been plumbing or if you didn't have the money, if you wanted to continue to be a plumber, you had to get registered. The law is pretty plain when it comes to using ladders now. Cost is not an excuse.

Locally, We had a guy fall off his ladder whilst working alone a couple of years ago, he was about 60. He died from the injuries. His public liability would not pay out, his personal injury insurance would not pay out, nor would his mortgage insurance pay out. His wife lost the house they had lived in for donkeys years because hse said he would not have been able to justify by a risk assessment why he was using ladders instead of wfp.

Was it a horrible outcome for his wife? Yes, but hse and the insurance companies said that the law is the law.

Finally, I am all for a licence but don't see how it will be suitably imposed by authorities without a national campaign informing householders that their window cleaner must have a licence. No one will fund an advertising campaign like that.

just been reading the comments about being licenced & yes i would definately be interested in that, hopefull it would put an end to all the uninsured cowboys who get the rest of us bad names. Count me in for any petition definately

To get back to the original thread subject, we had 2 guys in telford pulled up by hse who were working alone off ladders a few years ago. Hse asked if they had heard of wfp. They said yes and they couldn't afford it, as you know wfp stuff is a lot cheaper now. Hse said cost was not an excuse. They said when corgi registration was introduced, it became law. It didn't matter how old you were, how long you had been plumbing or if you didn't have the money, if you wanted to continue to be a plumber, you had to get registered. The law is pretty plain when it comes to using ladders now. Cost is not an excuse.

Locally, We had a guy fall off his ladder whilst working alone a couple of years ago, he was about 60. He died from the injuries. His public liability would not pay out, his personal injury insurance would not pay out, nor would his mortgage insurance pay out. His wife lost the house they had lived in for donkeys years because hse said he would not have been able to justify by a risk assessment why he was using ladders instead of wfp.

Was it a horrible outcome for his wife? Yes, but hse and the insurance companies said that the law is the law.

Finally, I am all for a licence but don't see how it will be suitably imposed by authorities without a national campaign informing householders that their window cleaner must have a licence. No one will fund an advertising campaign like that.
Hmm sad story and ya have to feel for those people but where in the law does it say that I can't climb my ladder.

Hmm sad story and ya have to feel for those people but where in the law does it say that I can't climb my ladder.
The law doesn't say it, but when there is an accident and the correct paperwork, right ladders, right safety gear, training etc etc isn't there, then they will use this to get out of anything.

I don't think I'll bother with insurance next year, seriously whats the point in it if they won't pay out anyway.

Hey slate me for that but do you not wonder why some people don't bother.

Back