Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Icy paths

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Daftoldgit

What with the prolonged spell of freezing weather, I'm finding the water is dripping onto customers paths, and leaving a sheet of ice.
Any tips to overcome this, so far I tried sprinkling salt everywhere, and trying to brush the water away before it freezes, both a bit hit and miss.
I was wondering if one of those antifreeze additives would help? Either added to the water or just tipped over the path?

I'm in Scotland and although this hasn't happened yet, I thought that a bag of rock salt would do the trick. How cold does it have to be for it to start turning to ice ?. If its forecast for really cold I tend to wait until about half 9/10 to start. The sun's usually out by then and I've never encountered it.

I'm in Scotland and although this hasn't happened yet, I thought that a bag of rock salt would do the trick. How cold does it have to be for it to start turning to ice ?. If its forecast for really cold I tend to wait until about half 9/10 to start. The sun's usually out by then and I've never encountered it.
I've not had it before this year, I think what's happening is the freezing conditions gone on for over a week, so when it creeps above zero for a few hours in the daytime it doesn't have time to thaw the path, it's only on some houses, and only the north facing side where the sun doesn't get to it. Possibly colder underheated houses playing a part in it this year?

What with the prolonged spell of freezing weather, I'm finding the water is dripping onto customers paths, and leaving a sheet of ice.
Any tips to overcome this, so far I tried sprinkling salt everywhere, and trying to brush the water away before it freezes, both a bit hit and miss.
I was wondering if one of those antifreeze additives would help? Either added to the water or just tipped over the path?
I just carry a bag of salt, what else can you do ..

Latest Posts

Back