Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

If you could have only 1 brush what would it be?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

View attachment 21396

View attachment 21397

I used a jigsaw held in my workmate on slow speed for safety. I angled the plate of the jigsaw so the blade cut a few degrees off right angle so it wouldn't catch on the bristles and then trimmed off with a file, but coarse sandpaper could be used on a block or bench. I also carefully trimmed off the blocky end bits so it resembles the standard Xtreme stock. (Oh, I pulled the bristles before cutting the stock)

I would not recommend attempting this with the jigsaw on full speed for obvious reasons

The result is a great brush. 
I think I have found my new g/f/s brush. 

Nice work @Marko067

I agree with everything apart the longevity. Mine lasted 3 months of not full time work. The Dupont bristles distort and don't last
pour some boiling water over them straight from the kettle and the bristles will go back to their original shape and be good as new...i do this every week with my stiff xtreme brushes (as i use hot water so they distort)...

You done a great job @Marko067 have you thought of trying the same with the medium brush? 
No. As I want to keep one sill brush in my arsenal I thought I'd leave that one ? ?.

It was the flocked Xtreme I was after. As it's not as dense as the ultimate it doesn't hold on to as much dirt and is easier to clean.

That would be a concern, bristle life aint what it used to be.
That's strange. I test drove a DuPont Natural Hybrid Xtreme for Alex last year and was impressed with how well it did. I still have it but it's the natural bristles in the middle that were became a problem as they got tangled and as a consequence ended up in a right mess. Still works well but the middle of it looks real tatty

It was just a little fun question.

Bit like desert island discs ?

I wasn't expecting everyone to ditch all their brushes ?
Desert Island Discs

3/ Don't Come Around Here No More ~Tom Petty and The Heart Breakers

2/ Letter From America ~The Proclaimers

1/ I Won't Back Down ~Tom Petty and The Heart Breakers

Luxury Item : My old paraffin Primus Stove and my brew kit

Sorry Ched! for the hijack of your thread. ☺️I just went off on one of my rambles. They finally got me back in my chair and settled me with with a blanket on my lap.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's strange. I test drove a DuPont Natural Hybrid Xtreme for Alex last year and was impressed with how well it did. I still have it but it's the natural bristles in the middle that were became a problem as they got tangled and as a consequence ended up in a right mess. Still works well but the middle of it looks real tatty
My comment wasn't aimed at the DuPont bristles, my experience of those is limited. My brush "graveyard" is full of a variety of medium type brushes, some of the older ones got hammered for six to nine months, newer brushes don't have anything like that lifespan in my experience. I think it may be something to do with the chemical makeup of the bristles.

My comment wasn't aimed at the DuPont bristles, my experience of those is limited. My brush "graveyard" is full of a variety of medium type brushes, some of the older ones got hammered for six to nine months, newer brushes don't have anything like that lifespan in my experience. I think it may be something to do with the chemical makeup of the bristles.
Righty.

Must admit, also going by what I've read on the forums I'm not heavy on my brushes. My dad always used to say, 'let the tools do the work, and if it's not working you've got the wrong tool.' So as a consequence I've tended to let the brushes do the work under the weight of the pole.

I have old Gardiner brushes with 2mm jets that are a year old that are in better condition then the new brushes that are 3 months old. My technique hasn't changed so either the brushes aren't as good as they were or environmental changes are damaging them. I'm not a tech boffin, I just post facts as I see them.

Ultimate Dupont I always go back to it despite trying other brushes, 2nd choice as you always need a spare is the Ultimate flocked.

I have tried a few brushes & best one is ultimate medium soft really good. Enjoying the super lite dupont tho

Ive had my supreme taper tec du pont since jan and it isn`t shedding bristle and they are still nice and straight having said that I`m fairly gentle on them just the odd bit of abuse when cleaning soffits, Fascias and gutters. I`m quite intrigued to try out some hard bristled brushes. Though I dont have a hot water system.

Tucker Dual Trim Pencil jets 

Hard to find now. I have bought several other makes of brush but keep putting my 4 year old tucker back on the other are like new in a box in the van

If anyone knows who sells them in the uk let me know   

I do like the Gardiner Supreme Dupont. Nice Splay, Good Cleaning Brush, also gets the upstairs sills to a fashion. I do like the Gardiner Medium Mixed Sill brush but just wish they would make bumpers for it, I know they have brush bumpers on the extreme sill brushes. But not the Medium Mixed sill brush, i have bashed so many window frames etc i just cant take the risk using it anymore, i try and be careful but cant be helped. Hopefully Alex will produce some one day.

Back