Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Introducing myself

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Spillzor

Hi all

I’m starting from scratch here. After some research and thinking about going into window cleaning for a while I want to move forward and get myself set up.
I think I’d be able to get a decent client base fairly quickly as I’m currently a postman in a very community based area.
I have a decent sized vehicle to get started too until I can make enough to invest in a regular work vehicle.
I would be able to invest in around £5k to start up.
I will be looking into pure water pole based resedential cleaning
Any advice for a complete newcomer and steps to getting started greatly appreciated

Hi all

I’m starting from scratch here. After some research and thinking about going into window cleaning for a while I want to move forward and get myself set up.
I think I’d be able to get a decent client base fairly quickly as I’m currently a postman in a very community based area.
I have a decent sized vehicle to get started too until I can make enough to invest in a regular work vehicle.
I would be able to invest in around £5k to start up.
I will be looking into pure water pole based resedential cleaning
Any advice for a complete newcomer and steps to getting started greatly appreciated
Hi and welcome try using the search bar at the top of the page as the questions all new ones ask have been covered loads of times anything else just ask , hope all goes well with the new venture

Hi pal.

It sometimes sounds like a cop out answer to search the forum but literally anything you can think of pertaining to business, kit, customers etc will 99% likely to have been discussed at length previously.

I've spent weeks doing my research and still am to be honest.

Best of luck, it's a decent bunch on here with bags of experience to lean in to ?

Hi and welcome try using the search bar at the top of the page as the questions all new ones ask have been covered loads of times anything else just ask , hope all goes well with the new venture
Thanks @Pjj is there a thread anywhere that can point in the direction of a shopping list of equipment needed to set up - using the wfp method?

Thanks @Pjj is there a thread anywhere that can point in the direction of a shopping list of equipment needed to set up - using the wfp method?
This has been discussed many times try putting it in the search bar ime sure something will come up , first thing I would do is get a decent TDS meter from a professional company like daqua they aren’t expensive around £15-25 avoid the cheap copies on eBay. Once you know your tap TDS then it’s easier to work out what filtration you will need . As for poles this will depend on the type and height of property’s you are going to be doing but you won’t go far wrong from Gardiner pole systems poles either the clx whick is a fibreglass and carbon budget pole , if funds alow look at the six which is full carbon it’s reasonabley stiff and light very good pole for normal houses . As for van mount systems pure freedom are good any pure 02 Ionic’s budget systems are good and crash tested .

This has been discussed many times try putting it in the search bar ime sure something will come up , first thing I would do is get a decent TDS meter from a professional company like daqua they aren’t expensive around £15-25 avoid the cheap copies on eBay. Once you know your tap TDS then it’s easier to work out what filtration you will need . As for poles this will depend on the type and height of property’s you are going to be doing but you won’t go far wrong from Gardiner pole systems poles either the clx whick is a fibreglass and carbon budget pole , if funds alow look at the six which is full carbon it’s reasonabley stiff and light very good pole for normal houses . As for van mount systems pure freedom are good any pure 02 Ionic’s budget systems are good and crash tested .
Greatly appreciated @Pjj i will look through all the equipment. I’ve looked into a few starter kits and watched some videos and have found the Facelift 325L compact system starter kit - looking at RO filtration system, a powered reel and 30ft carbon pole. It’s not on the cheap side but thinking it’d be all in one to get me going. Would this be advisable or am I better off getting all the equipment separately so to speak

Tbh if your a postie, and a friendly one at that I'd like to think a fair few on your rounds would drop there current windie for you, well respected most of the posties round here.

Just make sure when buying stuff that you buy right first time.

So tank wise I'd want around 300-500 litres plus a van that can take the weight.

Pole wise I'd buy one to get you going high enough to reach 3 stories.

Public liability in place.

Check to see if you have anywhere local that can you can purchase pure water from to get you going.

That was my thinking too mate. Appreciate the reply. Getting the right equipment and insurance is my priority now
Get some business cards made up.

Stay local with a graphic place get them made up ask for a copy of your artwork then buy in bulk from saxoprint or hello print.

Good luck

Greatly appreciated @Pjj i will look through all the equipment. I’ve looked into a few starter kits and watched some videos and have found the Facelift 325L compact system starter kit - looking at RO filtration system, a powered reel and 30ft carbon pole. It’s not on the cheap side but thinking it’d be all in one to get me going. Would this be advisable or am I better off getting all the equipment separately so to speak
One of the guys on here has the facelift tank @DeLaCruz I don’t know much about them , I do understand it’s easier to buy stuff from one supplier but personally don't like facelift poles , again personally think a 30 foot pole for everything is going to be heavy and make the working day much harder than it needs to be , but only you know what height the majority of the houses you will be doing are . you can always buy another pole later down the line but it’s more expense. When buying kit don’t buy what will be needed now look to a year in the future as to what you want to be doing ,many buy theses starter kits but soon out grow them , again not all will agree but from experience 500 ltr tank is the minimum I would want to work all day with 325 is ok but won’t last all day if you are busy. Again I know several will poo poo this but many will also agree it’s not enough , but ultimately it is also dependant on the van payload and what you intend to do .

One of the guys on here has the facelift tank @DeLaCruz I don’t know much about them , I do understand it’s easier to buy stuff from one supplier but personally don't like facelift poles , again personally think a 30 foot pole for everything is going to be heavy and make the working day much harder than it needs to be , but only you know what height the majority of the houses you will be doing are . you can always buy another pole later down the line but it’s more expense. When buying kit don’t buy what will be needed now look to a year in the future as to what you want to be doing ,many buy theses starter kits but soon out grow them , again not all will agree but from experience 500 ltr tank is the minimum I would want to work all day with 325 is ok but won’t last all day if you are busy. Again I know several will poo poo this but many will also agree it’s not enough , but ultimately it is also dependant on the van payload and what you intend to do .
You could get away with a 300 litre tank if you have a ibc tank and fill that then transfer it plus side is you can call home for a brew.

All depends on the payload of the van you go for.

Don’t underestimate have difficult it can be to get customers, especially in a saturated area.
Just because you’re a postman, doesn’t mean people will be desperate to have you.
Very few customers will ditch their well liked , reliable, experienced window cleaner they’ve had for years for a newbie.
So expect 2 years of hard graft to get a decent customer base.

Many give up long before then.

Equipment is the easy bit.

Hope it goes ok??

Latest Posts

Back