Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to become a window cleaner

WCF

Help Support WCF:

FantonAnnis

Hi all,

I’m looking for a change of career and window cleaning seems a great fit, the issue is I have no idea how to get started so I’m hoping I can pick up some tips and guidance here.

I currently work full time, and I’m hoping rather than giving up a 13 year career and falling flat on my face I would start slowly at weekends. Is this a ridiculous idea?

I have been reading about WFP systems and pure water, and then traditionally method. For a new starter would the investment into a WFP system be worth it?

Are there any other tips that I should bear in mind to get started?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Anton

There are literally thousands of posts on this topic, use the search bar and you will find all the info you require.
Is window cleaning a great career? I've been asking myself this question a lot recently.

If we took an honestly pole and asked how many window cleaners loved their jobs, I'm sure that there will not be many who can honestly say yes, especially in mid winter. It's can also be repetitive and boring if your attitude isn't correct.

There are positives and negatives to every job, ours included.

I'm sorry @FantonAnnis if you have to ask the question if wfp is worth the investment then perhaps you need to be more positive or window cleaning may not be for you.
Yes it's a daunting prospect to change career course, but window cleaning requires commitment and self discipline.

It's not all about cleaning windows, it's accounts management, salesmanship, equipment maintenance. More goes on behind the scenes than just cleaning a window. It's running a one man business.

Many have opted to become window cleaners and couldn't make it, so are no longer with us.

Hi @spruce thanks for taking the time to come back to me.

Apologies if you felt I wasn’t positive, it was more of a question if WFP would be good for someone starting out over using the traditionally method.

I know it will be a tough change, going from an office job to being outside all year will be a big change but I’m excited for the prospect of that. My current work experience will support me with the behind the scenes part but the actual cleaning part is the area where I have very little knowledge.

There are different methods and different machinery and it’s very tough to work out what is best for a new starter. There are “starter pack” out there but knowing if they really are good is impossible to tell without asking the experienced window cleaners who have tried and tested these.

Again there is lots of software out there that have window cleaning modules but again are these worth the money.

All I can really learn is from the internet and experienced window cleaners so I will have to ask lots of dump questions

Thanks again
Anton

If you have no idea how to get started how do you know window cleaning would be a good fit for you?
First thing to do is your research, how much competition do you have around you (google window cleaner near me), what do others charge, read as much as you can on here and take notes as everyone does thing differently. Watch UK youtube videos on window cleaning - lots of videos as it's the fine details you need to know about - it's not just waving a pole about.
Don't consider trad as it's ladder work that is dangerous, a slight slip could cost you your life! I know people do trad and are ok with ladders but in my opinion it's not worth the risk.

If you have never run a business then maybe see if you can do a course on starting a business -- try your local council.

The business side of it requires self motivation, it requires you to go out there and get the work. There is no shame in admitting that you cannot do this, only yourself will know the answer, but to give you an idea I recently offered to establish a car valeting business for my brother, all he would have to do is the work he does now but he would have got 2 to 3 times the money he currently gets. At the talking stage he was all for it, then when it came to having a 10 minute meeting to set up a basic plan of action he got cold feet on the idea.

Some people need a whip to get them going. Others can self motivate and arrange their own work and time scales. You first need to decide if business is for you before you attempt to consider if window cleaning could work for you.

If you're not sure, then by all means get a basic set-up for £1k and go out with a plan just to do a few houses at weekends. You will then quickly get your answer to your question with minimal effort and minimal commitment / cost.

Don't feel ashamed if it's not for you though. Running a business requires a persistence type of mentality and you never get a break from it.

Many have opted to become window cleaners and couldn't make it
The same goes for other trades as well some people are very good employees just can't make it on their own.

One of my sister in laws partners went solo after years in the building he got some big contracts and was doing quite well or so we thought he is now back to being an employee

The same goes for other trades as well some people are very good employees just can't make it on their own.

One of my sister in laws partners went solo after years in the building he got some big contracts and was doing quite well or so we thought he is now back to being an employee
One of our customers is a master builder. His work is top-notch, but his business went bankrupt because he couldn't manage the business side. He went back to working for a boss and eventually paid off what he owed. Still working for the same boss 15 years later.

How do we know we can make it as a window cleaner? Unfortunately, so many start expecting business to land in their laps. Some post a few leaflets and get onto Facebook. Sometimes it works if there is a scarcity of window cleaners in an area. We found door to door knocking and networking the best method. Leaflets were a waste of time.
A lot of success is down to hard graft and, as @Chris34 says, self motivation and self-discipline. There are lots of potential customers out there in most areas, we just have to find them

The business side of it requires self motivation, it requires you to go out there and get the work. There is no shame in admitting that you cannot do this, only yourself will know the answer, but to give you an idea I recently offered to establish a car valeting business for my brother, all he would have to do is the work he does now but he would have got 2 to 3 times the money he currently gets. At the talking stage he was all for it, then when it came to having a 10 minute meeting to set up a basic plan of action he got cold feet on the idea.

Some people need a whip to get them going. Others can self motivate and arrange their own work and time scales. You first need to decide if business is for you before you attempt to consider if window cleaning could work for you.

If you're not sure, then by all means get a basic set-up for £1k and go out with a plan just to do a few houses at weekends. You will then quickly get your answer to your question with minimal effort and minimal commitment / cost.

Don't feel ashamed if it's not for you though. Running a business requires a persistence type of mentality and you never get a break from it.

Is window cleaning a great career? I've been asking myself this question a lot recently.

If we took an honestly pole and asked how many window cleaners loved their jobs, I'm sure that there will not be many who can honestly say yes, especially in mid winter. It's can also be repetitive and boring if your attitude isn't correct.

There are positives and negatives to every job, ours included.

I'm sorry @FantonAnnis if you have to ask the question if wfp is worth the investment then perhaps you need to be more positive or window cleaning may not be for you.
Yes it's a daunting prospect to change career course, but window cleaning requires commitment and self discipline.

It's not all about cleaning windows, it's accounts management, salesmanship, equipment maintenance. More goes on behind the scenes than just cleaning a window. It's running a one man business.

Many have opted to become window cleaners and couldn't make it, so are no longer with us.

If we took a poll throughout any work force I don't think you'd find many who actually enjoy working. If they didn't do that job I don't think anyone would be doing it as a hobby in there spare time.

Most jobs are repetitive throughout any workforce. If you have the brains or experience to get the same salary elsewhere from window cleaning then I'd tell anyone to do it. Alot of people think it's easy, and although I'd agree cleaning a windows is easy, what they don't take into account is the physical side of it. Your body will certainly feel it.

The only reason I clean windows is because the alternative is going back to offshore working for 6 months of the year. If I could get a job paying what I currently make elsewhere without working away then the windows would get dumped tommorow.

What’s with all the negativity ? Of course running your business isn’t always sunshine and light (literally in window cleaning) but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t give something a go.

There can be a lot of headaches, customer complaints, chasing money and dealing with bad winters but every job and business has its downfalls. Does this mean we shouldn’t step out of our comfort zone ?

If we never try these things then we’ll never know. Its all to easy to be an employee where all the major decisions are taken out of your hands but running your own business can’t be very rewarding.

My advice would be to start off with weekends and at least you can find out if it’s a job you might enjoy. I wouldn’t be put off my all the doom mongering I’ve read on here. Running a small cleaning business really doesn’t have to be a difficult enterprise. Your experience will grow along side your business so it never has to be overwhelming when you’re in charge of your own destiny.

FREEDOM ! that’s the one word I’d use to describe working on your own.

What’s with all the negativity ? Of course running your business isn’t always sunshine and light (literally in window cleaning) but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t give something a go.

There can be a lot of headaches, customer complaints, chasing money and dealing with bad winters but every job and business has its downfalls. Does this mean we shouldn’t step out of our comfort zone ?

If we never try these things then we’ll never know. Its all to easy to be an employee where all the major decisions are taken out of your hands but running your own business can’t be very rewarding.

My advice would be to start off with weekends and at least you can find out if it’s a job you might enjoy. I wouldn’t be put off my all the doom mongering I’ve read on here. Running a small cleaning business really doesn’t have to be a difficult enterprise. Your experience will grow along side your business so it never has to be overwhelming when you’re in charge of your own destiny.

Nothing wrong with giving people a reality check, some people still think that the UK streets are paved with gold but we all know they ain't

Freedom is a big part of the reason I want to start my own business.
There is nothing wrong with my job but I would like to be my own boss and steer a business how I feel is the best option.

I have worked in FM for many years so I see where big cleaning providers started to where they are now.

my plan is to start small, trail my skills on friends and family and build up from there, if it develops into being able to leave my job then I’m doing something right I’d hope!

Go WFP.
Trad is dangerous, slower and a dying trade.

First thing to sort out is water. Are you going to buy it or make it yourself.
Check if there is a Spotless nearby. Check your home tds with a quality meter (not EBay etc).
That should get you started ??

I think a lot of people want to get into window cleaning due to the constant bragging on forums and from window cleaners in general.

The idea every ones on £350 -£400 a day out the house at 8.30 and the day is done by 1pm I can see the appeal.

The reality is very different.

There was a window cleaner on the other forum who sold his business to JV Price and the went to work for them.

I’ve seen this a few times on the tools, they get their first couple of kills and eat well but just can’t survive in the wild & go back to being employed where the money is regular and there’s no overhead stress to worry about ??

I think a lot of people want to get into window cleaning due to the constant bragging on forums and from window cleaners in general.

The idea every ones on £350 -£400 a day out the house at 8.30 and the day is done by 1pm I can see the appeal.

The reality is very different.

There was a window cleaner on the other forum who sold his business to JV Price and the went to work for them.
I think it would take a lot of years or high quotes and building up a successful round to be on this sort of money daily. Around me all I hear is everyone had a window cleaner and they stopped, usually try one summer with low prices then disappear when the rain comes.

I was lucky I had the fire service pension or I would have quit. The first year is so disheartening, constant knockbacks and not so good customers that other windies have dumped. Then everything eventually comes together after many years and becomes a great job. Now I don't even discuss it with people or relatives or it ends in an argument or I get a headache. Two months and the don't pay then I dump them and move on its as simple as that.

Latest Posts

Back