Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New to the business

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Right. Got myself a 450gpd from daqua, there is a 1000ltre black IBC on the way, as I said before, tap TDS is around 230, pressure 44. Set the 450gpd up correctly I think, see pic. Flushed it first then started producing pure - seems to be coming out between 5 & 10 tds so not really any need to di?
My main question is, how far should I be turning the flow up? I know with the unger hydro the faster the flow, the quicker it are the resin.
I've a mind if it reads high in the tank, I can pump it through the hydro via the backpack.
So you are happy to clean Windows with a reading up to 10 are you ?,,

Right. Got myself a 450gpd from daqua, there is a 1000ltre black IBC on the way, as I said before, tap TDS is around 230, pressure 44. Set the 450gpd up correctly I think, see pic. Flushed it first then started producing pure - seems to be coming out between 5 & 10 tds so not really any need to di?
My main question is, how far should I be turning the flow up? I know with the unger hydro the faster the flow, the quicker it are the resin.
I've a mind if it reads high in the tank, I can pump it through the hydro via the backpack.
The blue tap in the picture is the flush tap, so open for a few mins at the start of production then off as the long white thing next to it is a flow restrictor that should be set to allow more than enough waste to flow when the blue tap is fully closed.
As for working with 10tds, personally I wouldn't. Can you not rig up the output of the ro into your unger hydro then to the ibc (not sure if you need more pressure but would probably work fine?

Well every barrel I have done so far has measured 5 on my TDS meter so for the moment at least I am satisfied with that.

Before I buy a new pump, going to experiment with moving the water through the RO into my backpack - the connection fits the unger - then through the unger into the barrel.

I've never chanced the tds going above zero. I fill 2 1000lt ibc tanks at a time to transfer into the van. When there full if the tds isn't zero I pump the water out. Its been at 3 before and I just pumped the water out and changed the resin. Theres atleast 2 people I know here who just use tap water. They say its fine but I've always just kept buying resin to get it to zero. Comes out about 17 tds here I think.

I've never chanced the tds going above zero. I fill 2 1000lt ibc tanks at a time to transfer into the van. When there full if the tds isn't zero I pump the water out. Its been at 3 before and I just pumped the water out and changed the resin. Theres atleast 2 people I know here who just use tap water. They say its fine but I've always just kept buying resin to get it to zero. Comes out about 17 tds here I think.
How long does it take for say 100L to transfer from tank to van?

They use tap water to clean windows, really ? I’m like yourself anything above zero and I change all filters and resin.

If you know of people using it at that then I bet there's loads up here just using water straight out the tap.
No I don’t know anybody personally but I have read forum post from guys claiming the water is usable up to 20. Personally I wouldn’t take the risk so I wouldn’t know. It’s 000 for me always.

The first thing you need to do is go to Screwfix or Toolstation and buy a water pressure gauge and check your water pressure.

Sorry, these have double in price since I last looked a year or two ago.

You will then be able to see whether you need to add a booster pump to your r/o.

A couple of water butts as @ched999uk suggests will do fine to begin with. You need them black to stop light getting in and turning the water you have purified green.

Then there is this option.

I would personally consider this as it will give you a big 'reservoir' of water. In the future, you will need to consider a bigger storage tank, unless you decide to process water directly into your van's tank. I still believe I would store water as it's a backup. If you run out of water, then you can't work. (I first started to produce water into my trailer tanks. On a couple of occasions, I forgot to switch the r/o on at night before going to bed = no water in the morning.)

A small 150gpd r/o will do fine to begin with, although I would opt for a 450gpd. A 450gpd will do you for years to come when you have a van, and it will give you enough water to operate as a single operator. (You can always expand a 150gpd to a 450gpd by adding a couple of extra housings and membranes.)

Buy an r/o from a recognized window cleaning supplier. It will cost more but will have quality membranes installed rather than cheap Chinese manufactured ones that aren't as efficient. The less efficient a membrane is, the more resin you will need to polish that water off.
How much do you recon one of these 1000L tanks weighs with the frame (empty).

I'm looking at making my own atm as I currently use spotless and its costing a bomb... I live in a mid terrace and would need to pass it over 3 fences to get to my garden lol... Other option would be to hire a crane to come pop it over the house lol

How much do you recon one of these 1000L tanks weighs with the frame (empty).

I'm looking at making my own atm as I currently use spotless and its costing a bomb... I live in a mid terrace and would need to pass it over 3 fences to get to my garden lol... Other option would be to hire a crane to come pop it over the house lol
About 60kg. You could just buy 5 x 200lts water butts and link them? Maybe a couple of Wyvale 500 lts tanks would fit through doorways?

Two able-bodied blokes will be able to lift an IBC tank over a fence. You could remove the inner plastic tank to make it a bit lighter.

I have an old Clarke external transfer pump similar to the current SPE800. It sits in a cupboard above the IBC tank. Mine has a 1" transfer hose and its specs are 41lpm if memory serves me. As my transfer pump is situated above the IBC tank, I fitted a foot valve and ran the 1" hose though the vent hole in the lid. Filling 400 litres takes around 10 minutes. (It's slow enough to get bored watching the tank fill, but fast enough to overfill the tank if I just pop inside and switch the kettle on. :ROFLMAO:)

About 60kg. You could just buy 5 x 200lts water butts and link them? Maybe a couple of Wyvale 500 lts tanks would fit through doorways?
I did think about that, but my back garden is the wife's pride and joy and her salon is our there, she wants 1 single tank on a frame that I can get boxed in looking tidy ?

Two able-bodied blokes will be able to lift an IBC tank over a fence. You could remove the inner plastic tank to make it a bit lighter.

I have an old Clarke external transfer pump similar to the current SPE800. It sits in a cupboard above the IBC tank. Mine has a 1" transfer hose and its specs are 41lpm if memory serves me. As my transfer pump is situated above the IBC tank, I fitted a foot valve and ran the 1" hose though the vent hole in the lid. Filling 400 litres takes around 10 minutes. (It's slow enough to get bored watching the tank fill, but fast enough to overfill the tank if I just pop inside and switch the kettle on. :ROFLMAO:)
When filling the tanks up(making the pure) do they shut off automatically when full? Always wondered this ? I've got a ginnel down the middle of the house id need to run a hose to fill the van.

Guessing the petrol pump looking handles would be good for that?

When filling the tanks up(making the pure) do they shut off automatically when full? Always wondered this ? I've got a ginnel down the middle of the house id need to run a hose to fill the van.

Guessing the petrol pump looking handles would be good for that?
You need to fit a float valve and normally closed solenoid valve to shut the water flow off when the tank is full. You can buy the kit to do this. You will also need to keep your r/o frost free in winter as well if it's outside.

I never completely fill my van's tank, so I have plenty of time to walk back to the garage and switch the transfer pump off. I have never fitted one of the garage type nozzles.

You need to fit a float valve and normally closed solenoid valve to shut the water flow off when the tank is full. You can buy the kit to do this. You will also need to keep your r/o frost free in winter as well if it's outside.

I never completely fill my van's tank, so I have plenty of time to walk back to the garage and switch the transfer pump off. I have never fitted one of the garage type nozzles.
It will be outside, what do you recommend to protect the RO? Ive been thinking about this. I wish I had a garage to keep it in, but unfortunately I don't...

It will be outside, what do you recommend to protect the RO? Ive been thinking about this. I wish I had a garage to keep it in, but unfortunately I don't...
Box it in in 100mm of insulation (ideally celotex type but expanded polystyrene would be ok) and maybe have one of the low powered tube heaters in with the ro.
If it's a white ibc then you need to block the light out as otherwise you will have algae growing.

My r/o is in my garage in a cabinet I made myself. I have a frostat and a tube heater @ashley1337 The frostat is set to kick on at 5 degrees C and will switch off at around 8 degrees.

It has a full panel that goes on the front to 'seal' it up.
Looks great that thanks for the photo. I was thinking of building a shed at the back of the garden but by the time I get a hose from there to the front where the van is it's probably over 100meters (may of stole some council land when we got a new fence lol). So my next option is to make a little one on the back of the house which luckily on the kitchen wall is some plug sockets. So can make an outside plug beforehand and get it all done and try not make it look ugly ?.

Will save me a lot of money with the big school i just got, the spotless water really eats away at the profit quite a lot.

Who'd of thought there's so many things to learn with window cleaning!

Latest Posts

Back