Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Introduction - New Business

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I would thoroughly recommend getting a basic water fed pole set up (best thing I ever did). Backpack and CLX18 pole from Gardiners will be less than £300, all you need then is half a dozen 25litre barrels and buy pure water from either the spotless water company or from another window cleaner that will sell you water. Use this to clean all your upstairs windows, you will be able to reach windows above conservatories, bay roofs etc. Your hourly rate will improve enough to pay for the equipment in no time, the job will be much safer.

Six years later I'm still using the same backpack (upgraded to better pole) and haven't looked back and don't miss climbing the ladder.

When you start, be visible (a branded company T-Shirt/Polo shirt looks professional and is inexpensive. Make a very thorough job and take your time on the fronts, if you have spare time all the while you are working on the fronts people see you, there is a good chance you will get new customers walk up and ask for a quote. The more you do, the more time you are exposed to getting more walk ups. Knock the doors either side of the new jobs, a friendly introduction explaining you are cleaning their neighbours and offering the service to everyone else in the road is the most successful way to add clients.

Don't be cheap, if you quote low because you're afraid of not getting the work you will be forever stuck with underpriced work and it'll be next to impossible to get them where they should be. I have £30 per hour as a minimum, if I can hit that or more then I'm happy. It might sound a lot but by the time you take into account your record keeping, vehicle running costs, insurance, consumables, time spent booking jobs in, estimating time etc it's pretty fair and from what I've learned about the prices other local cleaners charge I am cheap so I'm always pushing my prices higher.

Good luck, I reckon you've got the right attitude to succeed.

Back