Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Jason’s story (Squeaky Clean Dave)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

PC

If you haven’t already you must watch Jason’s Story (the window cleaner who was electrocuted). It’s a video on YouTube done by Squeaky Clean Dave.
Truly awful story!
Watch both parts and bare it in mind when you’re out and about. Keep yourselves safe and get your hands in your pockets to help this guy out. Could have been any one of us!

If you haven’t already you must watch Jason’s Story (the window cleaner who was electrocuted). It’s a video on YouTube done by Squeaky Clean Dave.
Truly awful story!
Watch both parts and bare it in mind when you’re out and about. Keep yourselves safe and get your hands in your pockets to help this guy out. Could have been any one of us!
Reading my entire thread may prevent another tragedy or loss of life

Post in thread 'Working near overhead power lines - Exterior cleaners health & safety' https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/...rior-cleaners-health-safety.39049/post-552276

It does seam very strange that that voltage cable is allowed to be that close to a property
It may be one of a few scenarios
The property could of had an extension at some point and no consideration was highlighted in the planning application phase of the HV lines crossing the garden or the overall house plot at the time of build didn't see the dangers of HV lines in close proximity to the house

It does seem odd from what I've heard how the blame is being directed at negligence as opposed to critical failures to improve and modernise the distribution network

I do believe that all HSE investigations are published into the public domain and hopefully answers will come to light in due course

It's all of our responsibility to pay greater attention to when and where work and taking longer to assess a home as we quote and price for new jobs.

Also, we must not treat phone lines as a zero risk. 50v ringing and 70v speech *(if still in service) is enough to cause havoc if theres a breakdown in it's insulation. I say this as not everyone knows 100% if it is or not

I'm fortunate enough to be a qualified electromechanical engineer and even I go through mental risk assessments on every job. You can never tell yourself anything is safe..

No official news as of yet but I have heard that the power company / National grid are stating that all their equipment is within spec
I assume that in any RAMS cost is part of them. Once an accident has happened then the cost calculation, to the risk, is looked at closely. How are the power companies allowed to have cables in the air, and therefore a huge risk, when burying them virtually eliminates any risk

I assume that in any RAMS cost is part of them. Once an accident has happened then the cost calculation, to the risk, is looked at closely. How are the power companies allowed to have cables in the air, and therefore a huge risk, when burying them virtually eliminates any risk
My guess is the uninsulated cables are an old system that was designed and approved way before health and safety or RAMS existed. Back when it was started everyone used wooden ladders and wfp didn't exist.
As for the National Grid saying its all up to spec doesn't mean its safe in this day and age just that it complies with some ancient 'laws'.
The National Grid will argue that they have 1 or 2 members of the public inured each year and it would cost billions to replace all legacy overhead cables so they won't do it!

We just have to stay vigilant to protect ourselves.

Hi guys,
A couple of weeks ago I contacted North west Electricity. I clean a small hamlet of about 30 properties. Running down the "main" road are two uninsulated electric cables no more than 5-6 metres high. The problem is I criss cross the road cleaning properties, I am conscious of their presence but it only takes a moments distraction and the consequences aren't worth thinking about, also my son works with me and I worry for his safety.
I know that a sleeve can be fitted to the wire, they do this when scaffolding has to be put up, so I had a conversation with customer service at NWE , who sent an engineer to have a look. He rung me up and basically just laughed at me at the thought they would do anything about it and just said it's up to me to avoid them. I thanked him for his "concern" and I hoped he never gets a call from HSE after a window gets fried.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-03-15-26-05-43_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-03-15-26-05-43_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg
    1,001 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hi guys,
A couple of weeks ago I contacted North west Electricity. I clean a small hamlet of about 30 properties. Running down the "main" road are two uninsulated electric cables no more than 5-6 metres high. The problem is I criss cross the road cleaning properties, I am conscious of their presence but it only takes a moments distraction and the consequences aren't worth thinking about, also my son works with me and I worry for his safety.
I know that a sleeve can be fitted to the wire, they do this when scaffolding has to be put up, so I had a conversation with customer service at NWE , who sent an engineer to have a look. He rung me up and basically just laughed at me at the thought they would do anything about it and just said it's up to me to avoid them. I thanked him for his "concern" and I hoped he never gets a call from HSE after a window gets fried.
Firstly, credit to you for identifying a risk and secondly taking the time to make contact with the distribution network provider.

With insulated sleeving it can only be used in a temporary setting as birds have been known to store nest building materials in the openings at either end. This in turn can cause potential for increased resistance on the line and escalates the risk of fires

From a customer service standpoint your enquiry was valid and reasonable and their response was unprofessional, laid back and highlighted total disregard for public safety regardless of your knowledge and profession.

It's A shame you didn't record your exchange as lessons could be learned and archived.

You can download call recorder apps and providing you notify the call recipient you are well above board to do so. Also it may be worth calling back and requesting a copy of their call recording.

I'm working hard behind the scenes to try and draw up a file on the public interactions with the urgency to get specific answers to questions across the nationwide network and distribution providers.

Well done you 👏

If anyone wishes to make contact with providers in your area of the country My inbox is open to you.
I'm more than happy to assist with specific target questions and challenges

Austin

Hi guys,
Have you got anything in writing ? If so keep it as evidence that you have reported your concerns, and then should anything ever happen you can refer back to it that they have done nothing

Firstly, credit to you for identifying a risk and secondly taking the time to make contact with the distribution network provider.

With insulated sleeving it can only be used in a temporary setting as birds have been known to store nest building materials in the openings at either end. This in turn can cause potential for increased resistance on the line and escalates the risk of fires

From a customer service standpoint your enquiry was valid and reasonable and their response was unprofessional, laid back and highlighted total disregard for public safety regardless of your knowledge and profession.

It's A shame you didn't record your exchange as lessons could be learned and archived.

You can download call recorder apps and providing you notify the call recipient you are well above board to do so. Also it may be worth calling back and requesting a copy of their call recording.

I'm working hard behind the scenes to try and draw up a file on the public interactions with the urgency to get specific answers to questions across the nationwide network and distribution providers.

Well done you 👏

If anyone wishes to make contact with providers in your area of the country My inbox is open to you.
I'm more than happy to assist with specific target questions and challenges

Austin
Cheers Austin, I feel a bit more validated now.

Back