Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just want to say hi

WCF

Help Support WCF:

riverboy

Hi there everyone.
I’m a new member here and also new to window cleaning I have never cleaned a window in my life so I have a lot to learn. I would really like to start a window cleaning business in my area this year as I’ve been out of work for a while and would rather be my own boss than work for someone else. I have never owned or run a business either so I have loads to learn this year but I’m well up for the challenge. If any one has any tips for starting off a window cleaning round that would be great I have been reading a lot on here and watching loads youtube vids I never realised how many people were involved in this trade there seems to be quite a community here which I hope to become part of as I try get my business off the ground. Thanks for reading my little introduction I will hopefully get to know a few of you soon

Have a good look on the site. Everything is covered as this gets asked so many times per week. So decide firstly if your going traditional or wfp.
If it’s wfp, then first you need a tds meter, measure your tap water, also a tap pressure gadget, see what pressure your waters at. Then from that you can decide your next steps.
But before all this you need to make sure you have customers, you need to work hard at it.

I think you will have a lot to learn. Setting up and running a business needs lots of different skills as you are responsible for everything and every decision!!! Things like registering with HMRC as self employed, marketing (designing leaflets, business cards etc), social media marketing, website, public liability insurance, without getting into actually window cleaning!!!
One thing that might help is making sure the area isn't too saturated. Try Googling 'window cleaners near me' and see how many results you get. Then try looking on your local Facebook groups and search 'window cleaning' again see how many posts there are or how many people are looking.

This forum has masses of great info, the search box (top right) is great for finding out what you need to know or just read every thread you can as there is always little snippets of info that's useful, even if it's just decent suppliers or kit, make notes lots of notes, then you can gather all the info together and create your plan...

Good Luck.

Hi there everyone.
I’m a new member here and also new to window cleaning I have never cleaned a window in my life so I have a lot to learn. I would really like to start a window cleaning business in my area this year as I’ve been out of work for a while and would rather be my own boss than work for someone else. I have never owned or run a business either so I have loads to learn this year but I’m well up for the challenge. If any one has any tips for starting off a window cleaning round that would be great I have been reading a lot on here and watching loads youtube vids I never realised how many people were involved in this trade there seems to be quite a community here which I hope to become part of as I try get my business off the ground. Thanks for reading my little introduction I will hopefully get to know a few of you soon
Welcome, before spending any money try and find the competition and who's working in the areas you wish to. It's a heavily saturated industry in some parts

Is it viable, no experience means a tough start but practice on your own home helps

I did think of calling around afew local windy’s the other day but wasn’t sure if it would be a good idea as they might not want to show me the ropes as I could potentially take work from local area. The experience I would gain would be a massive help though

Welcome to the forum @riverboy you should also take a look at the following two articles.

I did think of calling around afew local windy’s the other day but wasn’t sure if it would be a good idea as they might not want to show me the ropes as I could potentially take work from local area. The experience I would gain would be a massive help though
Maybe try contacting a few well off your area so you wont be competing with them. OK it may be an hours drive but it's not like you are going to do it often.

I wouldn't overthink it, if it's something you really want to do and would enjoy then just get started.

I started out about 14 months ago, I bought a Gardiner SLX 27 pole a Gardiner Backpack, and 12x 25ltr barrels that's all you need to get started, and liability insurance, I already had a little van so was lucky, but lots start out with just a car, Ched on here was using a car until recently and so isn't an issue, If you've got Spotless water nearby then don't worry about producing your own water at the moment. I Printed off some Flyers but tbh Door knocking has worked the best with getting new customers. I do have a website but again I don't think it's that important you could just have a Facebook page.
Just practice on your own windows until you are happy with the technique.
once I'm busier I'll eventually look into a RO system

Thanks for the reply @JEM it is something I really want todo. I was thinking of just getting a back pack and pole and just use barrels out of the car until I get a feel for it and get some customers together. It seems quite afew on here have started out that way How have u found the last 14 month of business then? Was it like u expected it to be ? Wat have been the most challenging areas of the business for you so far ? Thanks

Your best bet is to look outside the city as I know its pretty saturated round there and just down the A140. Its worth reading up on HWCS's story of starting up in North Norfolk. It should give some idea of how to go from nothing to a thriving business Upto 50 customers

I actually did read his story couple days ago it’s very inspiring and definitely got me abit more interested to say the least. I also did a Google search of windys in this area it does seem like there a quite a few but there’s even more windows and not all of them have a regular cleaner I just gota find them lol. I have thought about staying out of the city as thought that would be the most worked area as people are trying to keep there rounds as compact as possible. Think I’m gona get some flyers or business cards made up and start knocking afew doors before I even buy any kit will hopefully give me a better understanding of what’s what

Welcome to the forum riverboy. I started last may time and tbh its the best thing ive done. Phone dont stop ringing
I had some funds so i Brought myself a van with a tank init and Brought a 35ft pole. I also pure my own water. Good luck bud.

Thanks for the encouragement @Shinyboy
How have u been finding work ? Leaflet drops and door knocking seems tobe the way forward
Yeah ive just designed my own flyers mate and Google my business. Never knocked a door yet. Just post them and be ready with your book as your phone will start to ring. Post flyers on new builds 1st mate don't post on old builds because more than likely every other window cleaner has already been there.

Thanks for the reply @JEM it is something I really want todo. I was thinking of just getting a back pack and pole and just use barrels out of the car until I get a feel for it and get some customers together. It seems quite afew on here have started out that way How have u found the last 14 month of business then? Was it like u expected it to be ? Wat have been the most challenging areas of the business for you so far ? Thanks
I think the most challenging thing for me is just getting enough customers, In my area, there are quite a few windies but also a hell of a lot of newly built houses. to start with I just relied on flyers and Facebook, I think if I had been knocking on doors at the beginning I would have way more customers now. I'm probably about 1/3 full at the moment.
I wish I started years ago, I've got some great customers I really enjoy doing what I do and being my own boss
The pole/backpack is the best way to get going, I still use Barrels but built my own little toolbox to deliver the water and I use a reel in the van which has made life a lot easier.

Back