Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Keeping to the 4 weekly schedule

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JohnDoeWindows

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd get some opinions on the subject as I'm currently a bit stressed out and think I'm putting too much pressure on myself. I've been off sick for the past 2 days, which is currently fine because I can catch up on those two days - the problem is when/if I'd like to take off more than two days (Christmas being the exception, naturally). How do people go about it? I've put so much pressure on myself to keep to the schedule and get round the same customers on the same day every 4 weeks, how important is it to actually do so?

For example, I'm currently flat out 5 days a week, let's say hypothetically I needed to take 5 days off, it'd take me over two months to catch up those 5 days and get them back to their original schedule on weekends etc provided there was no rain. It isn't financially a problem as I've money saved etc and I don't need the money, just wondering how people go about catching up etc when behind.

Edit: Probably worth mentioning there's just me! No helpers or employees etc.

Last edited:
Doesn’t matter a bit. Mine are all 6 weekly so they don’t expect the same time each month, a couple of weeks late makes no difference as long as you keep them informed.
These days most almost expect me to be upto 2 weeks late, with holidays weather Christmas illness etc.

Yeh as others say. You know, this is one of the main selling pints of being a windy. You should have the freedom to not be stuck to a rigid schedule. Who needs that pressure. You will get the odd few who might chase you up, but I dont get that many. Likely more would prefer it late nowdays.

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd get some opinions on the subject as I'm currently a bit stressed out and think I'm putting too much pressure on myself. I've been off sick for the past 2 days, which is currently fine because I can catch up on those two days - the problem is when/if I'd like to take off more than two days (Christmas being the exception, naturally). How do people go about it? I've put so much pressure on myself to keep to the schedule and get round the same customers on the same day every 4 weeks, how important is it to actually do so?

For example, I'm currently flat out 5 days a week, let's say hypothetically I needed to take 5 days off, it'd take me over two months to catch up those 5 days and get them back to their original schedule on weekends etc provided there was no rain. It isn't financially a problem as I've money saved etc and I don't need the money, just wondering how people go about catching up etc when behind.

If it’s not financial (you don’t need all the money you make each month) then don’t worry, just pickup where you left off. Folk won’t even notice. If you’re really cheeky, move work around to make sure you get your best work done and let the not so good work be the stuff that’s done less frequent. I know a few guys who do this.

Thanks guys, in fairness when I've been late and caught up I've never had any issues and nobody (bar the odd older customer) has even noticed. Think it's just a case of putting unnecessary pressure on myself.

Hi everyone,

If you take a holiday or what ever for 1-2 weeks when you get back just carry on from ware you left off so you are then running 1-2 weeks late it’s not usually a problem with domestic , commercial I would either do it before went away or as soon as I returned

Thanks guys, in fairness when I've been late and caught up I've never had any issues and nobody (bar the odd older customer) has even noticed. Think it's just a case of putting unnecessary pressure on myself.
Taking it to your level is unnecessary but well done on setting yourself a high standard.

Although I think it's unnecessary to get them done to the exact day, it is good practice to keep to a tight schedule, it sets a good standard for the business and it stops you from becoming lazy. One week out is fine, 3 or 4 weeks out and you have to question if you've got too many customers. Reason being is that if the service is every 4 weeks and you're struggling to keep within 2 weeks then you have to question whether the service is every 4 weeks or is it every 6? every 8? etc.

I do every 4 and if there is a delay of more than a week I let them know.

I had one customer earlier this year that thought something had happened to me because I was a day late, she was serious and said if I hadn't been the next day then she was going to ring me, she had even already asked the neighbours if they had heard from me :LOL:

I find it relatively easy to stick to my window cleaning schedule as I'm never crammed full with work.

When I have a holiday or it's Xmas or whatever I just move my schedule forward by one or two weeks and start back where I left off.

Keep it simple and dont try and overcomplicate this business and NEVER be rammed full with work or else you will get seriously bored and burned out with cleaning(in time) as the years go on...

I'm currently flat out 5 days a week
Not a good thing to be flat out unless you are pushing to achieve a goal,

not long after covid I just cracked on and kept taking work on and have worked quite a lot and put undue pressure on myself but I had a goal to renovate the house we moved into almost 2 years ago only a few jobs left to do but we've done most of it, now I am a bit sick of work and wanting my rounds to reduce in size and I'm seriously considering moving jobs from 4 weekly to once per calendar month but my numbers are dropping a bit with cancellations so I'll see how things are before next April as ultimately I want a much easier work-life.

Keep it simple and dont try and overcomplicate this business and NEVER be rammed full with work or else you will get seriously bored and burned out with cleaning(in time) as the years go on...
Exactly this, I'm 48 years old next year and I will have been in business for 23 years if we work flat out then we both know what happens and it's just not sustainable to be working flat out both physically and mentally.

Thanks guys, I originally began taking on more work (to build up to 5 days a week) expecting to lose quite a few to the cost of living crisis, except I haven't actually lost any significant amount at all, so I've just been growing and haven't really stopped. I also could do with reorganising my round as I'm in areas multiple times across different days in some cases and that's just not efficient, think I'll cull all of the **** work.

Exactly mate.im 51 now but still make a good living with a much better work/life balance.

Ironically I work much more effectively when I work shorter hours,enjoy my job more and don't suffer with burn out.
I prefer shorter days as I'm usually ready for home before 4pm I just like doing what I want to when I want to, maybe it's an age thing ?

Totally agree. I used to do mon-fri 8-4.
Now I’m 4 days a week 8-3. Sold off part of my round and much prefer it now ??‍?
I am not down to those hours yet and won't be for a few years yet, if I can just lighten my workload a bit that will do for me, I used to be rushing out the door in the morning I am still up early but I take the dogs out for 40 minutes and just take my time on morning and don't really care when I get out of the door and if I don't get all my work done in a day and decide to knock off a bit earlier I finished just after 2pm today and had a good walk out with the dogs just enjoying life and the peace and quiet if my wife is working a later shift

Hi everyone,

if your not financially pressured back off . Go to 5 weeks you will be less stressed you will then be able to take on extra work at rates your happy with. and not forgetting a long week end when you want it . Believe me your customers will be more than happy, 4 weeks is too short anyway. I am on 6 weekly but don’t hold your breath
L.O.L

I used to be 4 weekly am now 6weekly and 8 weekly customers were fine moving to it they are saving money even though I explained prices will rise didn’t loose anyone. Changed because customer base was getting to much to fit everyone in a 4 week cycle, now I have a bit more space for more add ons and in fact customers have thanked me for the change as they were thinking 4 weekly wasn’t a long enough gap .I told them this way of cleaning keeps the glass cleaner for longer as no detergent is used nothing for dust to cling to so you can go for a longer period. Changed around 2 years ago works well and more profit.

I work on a 4 weekly schedule(13 cleans per year) but in the 12 month period each year I push my schedules forward by 4 weeks.... this now means we clean them once a month(12 visits per year)
I used my 2 weeks up from January-June this year and also used up 1 more week last month as we were short staffed by 1 lad for 2-3 weeks .... the 4 weeks push helps me so much :)
I got 1 week remaining now to push the schedules forward and this 1 week will be getting used between xmas and new year :)

Latest Posts

Back