Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Kiln dried sand

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yea only ever done dry myself. Not that I’ve ever needed to but the theory seemed sound maybe the online chaps were just blagging it when their method was queried.

Hate easy-joint and the like. Try and talk clients out if it whenever possible and if I have to use it I laboriously push it in and compact same as I would sand and cement.
I now only use Sika as a dry mix and just sweep it in and let it air cure. It's not cheap but obviously I factor that in to the price and if they don't want to pay it that's fine - cos I don't want the job otherwise. It also ensures colour consistency and keeping it dry means no nasty cement to clean up.
Can still be a little laborious at times but factor it all in to the quote and there's some decent money to be made. These jobs do need more attention to detail and a bit of practice but it's not exactly brain surgery and is another revenue stream in the spring and summer.
This patio I did with Sika....

sandstone-patio-repointing.jpg

I now only use Sika as a dry mix and just sweep it in and let it air cure. It's not cheap but obviously I factor that in to the price and if they don't want to pay it that's fine - cos I don't want the job otherwise. It also ensures colour consistency and keeping it dry means no nasty cement to clean up.
Can still be a little laborious at times but factor it all in to the quote and there's some decent money to be made. These jobs do need more attention to detail and a bit of practice but it's not exactly brain surgery and is another revenue stream in the spring and summer.
This patio I did with Sika....

View attachment 28236
We don’t do that much pw but I give the customer two prices one including sanding and one without, most opt for no sanding and say they will do it themselves, don’t think 95% ever sand it ???

Nice. Sweep and not compact? Does it last ok? Do you mist down after to set it? If I use it I brush in dry, compact and mist. Probably using 4 times more than manufactur states, but
We don’t do that much pw but I give the customer two prices one including sanding and one without, most opt for no sanding and say they will do it themselves, don’t think 95% ever sand it ???
i bet. I do tell them they can do it themselves but most of mine prefer to pay for it. I only charge £80 labour unless it’s huge, to do it plus the sand but I make decent money on the pressure washing so it’s a nice extra.

Nice. Sweep and not compact? Does it last ok? Do you mist down after to set it? If I use it I brush in dry, compact and mist. Probably using 4 times more than manufactur states, but

i bet. I do tell them they can do it themselves but most of mine prefer to pay for it. I only charge £80 labour unless it’s huge, to do it plus the sand but I make decent money on the pressure washing so it’s a nice extra.
Sorry. Didn’t intend that to be in the same post. Not sure how I managed that.

Sorry. Didn’t intend that to be in the same post. Not sure how I managed that.
I have done but it will air cure. I only really do it with those customers who constantly interfere and think they know best and qiestion everything - just to shut them up really cos it keeps them happy.
I stopped using Resiblock Trade sealer for block paving which is designed as a one coat system but customers were convined they were being short changed getting only 1 coat! Sika seems to last and never had any come back to complain.
But I don't make them any unrealistic promises about longevity (or anything else for that matter) and you have to manage expectations to a degree.
Any type of mortar mix is liable to cracking in the future and I always tell them not to blast joints with a jet washer....and although we can't tell the ground can also shift and cause cracks.
R.E. future maintenance I tell them just to wash down with warm soapy water or Jeyes liquid and rinse with a garden hose and that way it will last and stay looking good

I have done but it will air cure. I only really do it with those customers who constantly interfere and think they know best and qiestion everything - just to shut them up really cos it keeps them happy.
I stopped using Resiblock Trade sealer for block paving which is designed as a one coat system but customers were convined they were being short changed getting only 1 coat! Sika seems to last and never had any come back to complain.
But I don't make them any unrealistic promises about longevity (or anything else for that matter) and you have to manage expectations to a degree.
Any type of mortar mix is liable to cracking in the future and I always tell them not to blast joints with a jet washer....and although we can't tell the ground can also shift and cause cracks.
R.E. future maintenance I tell them just to wash down with warm soapy water or Jeyes liquid and rinse with a garden hose and that way it will last and stay looking good
Funnily enough I have a client who had a Marshall’s resin block driveway put down about 15 years ago. Not by me. Apparently at the time Marshall’s would only supply with their own resin jointing compounds. Don’t now what it is but I pressure wash it twice a year and it’s absolutely rock solid all these years later. Only bit that isn’t is a small repair patch from where the neighbour damaged it doing their driveway. That’s lasted about 6 months apparently.

Every other one I do I warn them first and then go as careful as I can. Often results in some regular repointing work or ripping it all out and doing in sand and cement.

Back