Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladders without stabilisers?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You can buy ladder with swivel feet already attached, or just standard rubber feet or a bar.

Have a look at titan ladders.

As far as I am aware, as long as they are still serviceable your fine, or why would they still sell them ? and titan ladders come with a 15 year warranty.

That said this will be a headache,  and I wouldn't risk an employee having an accident and technically being given the wrong type of ladder, which is how I imagine HSE would see it ?.

This is really stupid, a long stabiliser bar makes those ladders completely unusable for what I do.

Interesting read on page 6 of this article from FWC, spells out this issue well.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://f-w-c.co.uk/images/FWC_Spring_2020_WindowTalk.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiKqtr0mq3yAhVFZcAKHcInCpUQFnoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw3IMrpVyn06rDoDT9I6vJsp

Last edited by a moderator:
The only issue i see with these is that they may void any warranty or safety characteristics of the ladder they are affixed to.

Many holes to fit these and more points of potential failure in my opinion
I fit a piece of wood inside the ladder frame and then bolt up the new feet. Yes the warranty is finished after I do it but I think its worth it. All my ladders have these feet now. 

All they have basically asked for is a wider base than the top, which on paper makes sense.

Practically manufacturers have looked at, and the cost of splaying the rails at the bottom, ment its just easier to install a bar. Meaning the can continue using the same machines, and convert existing stock. But the knock on effect of that is a ladder that is harder to level, and needs a larger racking area, and can't be set over small obsticals.

I can see things changing with this, hopefully the manufacturers switch to a better design. The first to do so will be a sell out.

Last edited by a moderator:
We bought these, very clever and simple, fairly certain you ladder guys have better cheaper options.

https://www.ladderstore.com/ladder-accessories/ladder-stabilisers-anti-slip/laddermat-anti-slip-ladder-stabiliser-leveller
The only problem with them is lugging them about.

Its still pretty iffy, if the left leg for instance, is 4 of them pads off the ground.

We really need the manufactures to make them like the attached picture.

I don't believe the Ramsey ladders meet the other requirements, plus they weigh a ton compared to standard extension ladders.

below isn't Ramsey ladders they are from a company in Sweden, you can't get here at the moment. They also haven't said they have to be 3 feet wide, just wider than the top, so technically don't need to be that much of a difference.

Negligible safety benefit in my opinion, the ladder slipping out should be more of a concern than it going side ways, insisting on pads at the top to improve grip, would have been simpler and done more good, but they want to export to the E.U. so our ladder have to comply with there safety standards ?

splayed feet.jpg

For me they are ideal as I only use ladders on gutter jobs so invariably have to go back to the van to get the ladders anyway so not lugging them around all day. Never had a slope yet where needed more than 3 but there is always someone footing them anyway.

I have a set of Werner stepladders that feet are like that, now there is heavy and there is HEAVY, these are HEAVY, but very sturdy. Good job when I climb up and down on them.

We only use them as a leveller and the ladders are always footed, by me. Once my size 13's are on them they ain't moving ?
That's fair enough mate.. I've just heard some horror stories from people using them on their own in the rain.

Dodgy in the wet though. 

Just use Ramsey ladders as they don't have the stabiliser bars as they are splayed.

Plus better to work off.
I have a set of Ramsey ladders and they didn't conform to the BS before the change.

I called them today to clarify to see if they do now, but unfortunately not.

Thanks for that.

I was completely unaware that any changes had been made to the safety ratings requirements.

All I know is the ladders I have used for 15 years has met safety requirements up to now. They also still sell them, so can't imagine its illegal.

I can see changes have been made to the EN classifications , I found this quite helpful, that others might want a read it.

https://www.wernerco.com/eu/latest-en131-standards#:~:text=Ladder standards have changed.,a load capacity of 150kg.

But honestly, for what I do, a bar would be a hazard and get in the way, also a wfp, trad pole isn't always a reasonable alternative in every situation.
Rojax ladder stopper is a great bit of kit for ladder safety. Portable and fairly light, comes in two widths. The problem is finding a ladder without stabilisers.

Back