Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lead stained windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dean Rogers

Morning all,

I have a customer that has a lovely conservatory but unfortunately the lead flashing on the top all the way around is leaving stains on the glass. 
Someone has been out who fitted it to have a look and with some sugar soap wiped a bit over and it comes off although that’s not practical for the whole roof and with it being a slight abrasive not sure if that would be good, I wouldn’t personally use it that way. 
I clean the roof and gutters etc with purified water and Ubik2000 but it doesn’t touch the staining at all. 
Anyone else has this problem or know of anything that can tackle it? 

Happy scrubbing 

Cheers ?

C4E0844B-BFAF-49B1-B091-ED155C527F33.jpeg

E57B67AE-208E-40A2-9CE5-F2F888F2A0C5.jpeg

I have one exactly the same with self cleaning glass I have told the customer I can do nothing about it I don’t feel it’s worth damaging the film on the roof , I did try Virosol , and a couple of other things but didn’t help , if you find the solution please let us know ?

I have read that a few people use the Cillit Bang (orange trigger bottle) on it and had good results but I have no idea how it would react to the self cleaning coatings.

Thanks for reply’s. Yes the coating on the glass is what puts me off messing with it. 

I may have to concede and just leave it as it is, i like getting things sorted for good customers but I feel this one could create more problems. 

Cheers 
The safest option would be to contact the manufacturer of the glass, should be able to get that from the company they bought it from, and ask them for the reply in writing. 

It’s a long shot, but I would cut a magic sponge to the width of those runs (2cm) and attach it to a Quik Loc using heavy elastic bands. See if it reduces it. 
Or just attach the whole sponge and turn it on it’s edge.

Almost impossible to damage the coating, they really are very tough. I would say that the most likely product to clear that staining would be Winsol Crystal Clear 550. Not the easiest place to apply the product though. 

Almost impossible to damage the coating, they really are very tough. I would say that the most likely product to clear that staining would be Winsol Crystal Clear 550. Not the easiest place to apply the product though. 
My conservatory has self cleaning glass, I didn’t choose it, it was on when we bought the house. They are not tough. I have a customer that has just had one fitted, in his guarantee it clearly states to use no scrubbing method, no detergents etc otherwise it voids the guarantee, to clean it, it states water only. 
I fully understand what your saying Dean, you want the best job for your customer. The problem is if you cause damage they could quickly turn not so nice. To be honest I’ve not ever come across a conservatory like that with the leading. 

My conservatory has self cleaning glass, I didn’t choose it, it was on when we bought the house. They are not tough. I have a customer that has just had one fitted, in his guarantee it clearly states to use no scrubbing method, no detergents etc otherwise it voids the guarantee, to clean it, it states water only. 
I fully understand what your saying Dean, you want the best job for your customer. The problem is if you cause damage they could quickly turn not so nice. To be honest I’ve not ever come across a conservatory like that with the leading. 
I once contacted Pilkington about this very subject, they were more concerned about abrasion than chemicals. I offer my opinion based on what I would try with twenty four years experience in the business. I would however test a small patch because I am not reckless.

I once contacted Pilkington about this very subject, they were more concerned about abrasion than chemicals. I offer my opinion based on what I would try with twenty four years experience in the business. I would however test a small patch because I am not reckless.
Maybe different companies offer different advice. Some coatings are different too.  
I never thought you were reckless, by your comment. 

Morning all,

I have a customer that has a lovely conservatory but unfortunately the lead flashing on the top all the way around is leaving stains on the glass. 
Someone has been out who fitted it to have a look and with some sugar soap wiped a bit over and it comes off although that’s not practical for the whole roof and with it being a slight abrasive not sure if that would be good, I wouldn’t personally use it that way. 
I clean the roof and gutters etc with purified water and Ubik2000 but it doesn’t touch the staining at all. 

Happy scrubbing 

Cheers ?

View attachment 26132

View attachment 26133
This is completely down to the firm who did the conservatory, no doubt they won't want to redo or replace the unit's as it will cost them £1,000's the lead will be an issue possibly for some years but ultimately it's up to the double glazing firm to sort out the issue, common sense should have told them the lead was going to leach all down the glass so why did they choose to fit lead ??

This is completely down to the firm who did the conservatory, no doubt they won't want to redo or replace the unit's as it will cost them £1,000's the lead will be an issue possibly for some years but ultimately it's up to the double glazing firm to sort out the issue, common sense should have told them the lead was going to leach all down the glass so why did they choose to fit lead ??
I have a job that’s exactly the same with lead staining it’s a lean to conservatory/ porch with around a dozen glass roof panels badly stained with lead , I will take some pictures next time we are there ,it does look awful , I told the customer we couldn’t remove it as it was so bad , Evan if it was removed it would form again as the lead is laying on the actual glass . 

Someone says he used Silvo silver cleaner and it worked a treat. Someone said they used Cillit Bang and it also worked well. Other said the cleaner must contain phosphoric acid to make the water stain soluble to be removed. It will continue to happen unless the lead is coated with pagination oil. They say it is the result of Lead Sulphite, lead Sulphate and lead Carbonate so you could also try white vinegar or Hob Brite. You could try a patch first to see which one is best and let us know how you get on. ?

Someone says he used Silvo silver cleaner and it worked a treat. Someone said they used Cillit Bang and it also worked well. Other said the cleaner must contain phosphoric acid to make the water stain soluble to be removed. It will continue to happen unless the lead is coated with pagination oil. They say it is the result of Lead Sulphite, lead Sulphate and lead Carbonate so you could also try white vinegar or Hob Brite. You could try a patch first to see which one is best and let us know how you get on. ?
I don’t really want to get involved with it , it’s quite a big roof and don’t have the time to fiddle around with it but I am interested in how it could be removed , but think it would require regular maintenance to prevent it returning.   

I don’t really want to get involved with it , it’s quite a big roof and don’t have the time to fiddle around with it but I am interested in how it could be removed , but think it would require regular maintenance to prevent it returning.   
Aye, a money pit I call it. Might be better covering roof and fitting a few veluxes in it. My customer bought a massive house with over 10 metre conservatory roof. Had to buy a 7.2 metre Youngman Board to span it from middle to end. Convinced him to get it reroofed and fit half a dozen veluxes so we can stand on it when working above on the original roof. It was a nightmare scenario, everything fell onto the glass roof so no one would work above it.

Morning all,

Happy scrubbing 

Cheers ?

View attachment 26132

View attachment 26133
Leave it alone....you won't get the marks off....lead on glass roofs should be banned...

Latest Posts

Back