Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Legalities of equipment etc

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It's interesting you mention this as I would assume most homeowners would not be happy with gutter waste dumped into the hedge - I would as a customer I think just expect the company to take the waste.
But would you be prepared to pay for the additional expense of having it environmental disposed of by a waste disposal company?

It will cost you £50 to clear your gutters and n additional £150 to have your waste clearing environmental disposed of. How does that sound?

But would you be prepared to pay for the additional expense of having it environmental disposed of by a waste disposal company?

It will cost you £50 to clear your gutters and n additional £150 to have your waste clearing environmental disposed of. How does that sound?
To be fair it’s not that expensive to dispose of less than £20 at most places

Any tips on finding a registered waste disposal company/site? Looking at google, I can find lots of companies that will come and take away waste but that wouldn't comply as my house would be a waste transfer station! I can't find any that I could take waste to. Is there a special name for sites that take commercial waste?

I think it's the logistics of getting it there. We did a gutter clear on Friday. 2 x 30 litre drums full. We would need to carry a plastic drum that would hold the clearings, so we can carry it away? How much does the waste carriers licence cost? £255 + VAT that lasts 3 years from our council.

Any tips on finding a registered waste disposal company/site? Looking at google, I can find lots of companies that will come and take away waste but that wouldn't comply as my house would be a waste transfer station! I can't find any that I could take waste to. Is there a special name for sites that take commercial waste?
We have several near us but no idea in your area I would Google it or contact your local council and ask them

I think it's the logistics of getting it there. We did a gutter clear on Friday. 2 x 30 litre drums full. We would need to carry a plastic drum that would hold the clearings, so we can carry it away? How much does the waste carriers licence cost? £255 + VAT that lasts 3 years from our council.
Ok I thought the waist carriers licence was free ? You just apply to the local council as far as ime aware ?

Are you sure a waste carrier licence is £255+vat? I just looked here: Register or renew as a waste carrier, broker or dealer and it seems that as long as the waste is customer generated - they use garden grass cuttings as an example, then for sole traders, partners or ltd it's free.

Are you sure a waste carrier licence is £255+vat? I just looked here: Register or renew as a waste carrier, broker or dealer and it seems that as long as the waste is customer generated - they use garden grass cuttings as an example, then for sole traders, partners or ltd it's free.
Yes that’s my understanding I know a few Gardiner’s and they dont pay for a licence it’s free . They have to pay to dispose of the green waist at the dump though

I got onto a different website. There was the choice of an upper tier and a lower tier. The upper tier is the price I quoted, the lower tier was £25 + VAT but didn't offer a free option. I felt the upper tier was more relevant. Thank you for finding that.
But I'm still not going to get involved with that.

I would imagine any company that operates skips would handle the waste at their depot.

This might help you, still touch and go if fully compliant and I don't know if it covers your area

Cheers, we used to use that service when we had holiday flats - they charged about £120 for the 'licence' then about £2 a bag. I think it only covers certain businesses - I don't think it would cover gutter muck plus I am now just outside the Blackpool Council area.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers, we used to use that service when we had holiday flats - they charged about £120 for the 'licence' then about £2 a bag. I think it only covers certain businesses - I don't think it would cover gutter muck plus I am now just outside the Blackpool Council area.

Thanks for looking.
I did a lot of work with Recycling Lives in Preston, Red Scar Industrial Estate, and they used to take rubbish from anyone with a licence but that's 10+ years ago so might have changed. If you're really stuck I'll ask a pal that has a scrap yard not far from you, Poulton, if he knows anyone.

I did a lot of work with Recycling Lives in Preston, Red Scar Industrial Estate, and they used to take rubbish from anyone with a licence but that's 10+ years ago so might have changed. If you're really stuck I'll ask a pal that has a scrap yard not far from you, Poulton, if he knows anyone.
That's very kind. To be honest, while I have looked into taking the waste away I don't intend to offer it as a service unless I can help it. It's more finding out what I would need to do if I won a big job that required waste removal.
Gutter vac is starting to take off - I've had 3 quotes given and accepted in the last 10 days with another quote for tomorrow! Waste disposal has been discussed at the time of the quote and all customers OK with 'keeping' their waste one way or another.
Cheers.

@ched999uk I used to do a bit of gardening and had a lower tier waste carriers license, which is free via the government. It just covers general green waste like grass, weeds, moss, flowers, hedge cuttings etc. I'm pretty sure most contents vacuumed out of a gutter would also come under that. However I use to find taking it away an absolute pain - and it can make your vehicle damp and smelly, not to mention the odd spider running about the back of the van lol. I've only used my gutter vac a few times but every customer has been fine with tipping the waste either onto the flowerbeds/borders or at the end of the garden.

@ched999uk I used to do a bit of gardening and had a lower tier waste carriers license, which is free via the government. It just covers general green waste like grass, weeds, moss, flowers, hedge cuttings etc. I'm pretty sure most contents vacuumed out of a gutter would also come under that. However I use to find taking it away an absolute pain - and it can make your vehicle damp and smelly, not to mention the odd spider running about the back of the van lol. I've only used my gutter vac a few times but every customer has been fine with tipping the waste either onto the flowerbeds/borders or at the end of the garden.
I too have found customers are fine with either their green bin or on the garden. I was more thinking that there could be occasions that being able to take the waste away might be handy to win the job - if it's a decent one :)
I've only had my gutter vac a few weeks and have done a couple of jobs with about 3 or 4 more booked in week after next.

Latest Posts

Back