Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lighter pole

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Noticed people never seem to mention the extreme 18 as I use a slx18 for guessing  95% of my work probably only use my Slx22 approx 15 windows a month and another few windows a months for Slx22 plus extensions.

the extreme 22 is the same weight as a slx18

considering I only have a handful of windows that require 22 pole so not super important as my Slx22 is more than manageable for them.

for the folk that uses an 18 could you recommend one over the slx18 as I have heard the stories where they have snapped need looking after a lot more and not as durable slx plus I'm heavy handed, as weight saving is always a big plus I understand that but the price difference is way over double.

Noticed people never seem to mention the extreme 18 as I use a slx18 for guessing  95% of my work probably only use my Slx22 approx 15 windows a month and another few windows a months for Slx22 plus extensions.

the extreme 22 is the same weight as a slx18

considering I only have a handful of windows that require 22 pole so not super important as my Slx22 is more than manageable for them.

for the folk that uses an 18 could you recommend one over the slx18 as I have heard the stories where they have snapped need looking after a lot more and not as durable slx plus I'm heavy handed, as weight saving is always a big plus I understand that but the price difference is way over double.

Mine is a 22 Den. But what I will say is that some of the comments I’ve read make it sound like they feel like eggshells.

However, mine does not feel that way at all. Yes, it does not feel like an SLX but it still feels like a good bit of kit, and with replacement sections available you should be able to keep it going for a long time should you break a section. Mine is ten months old and still feels almost as good as when I got it.

My feeling is you would have to be pretty heavy handed or very unfortunate to break one that quick. If you feel you are heavy handed then I’d not recommend it. 

If you do get one, treat it well and it’ll serve you well I believe.

ive a x47 mk1 that was bought the first week they were out , its never been washed out or even took apart  , its used everyday and its still going , ok it spins now and again and the marking are gone off it but its still going 

Also, I don't know how you guys open and close your poles but I have seen one or two (and have done it myself on occasion) extend them when almost horizontal and then lift them. This will cause premature wear due to both the added friction around the clamps when extending them and added stress at the joints when lifting them. It's best, especially with the Xtremes to open and close them when near vertical.

It may not seem much, but when you consider how many times this will occur during the life of a pole that's well used...

Hope that makes sense

And if you never tried an Xtreme brush, try the Xtreme Natural Hybrid brush with it. It may not work for you but I've found the two to be an excellent combination. Although, take note of the temp recommendation for the brush. May not be the best if you use hot water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again Mark067 your advise as always been spot on just hope I don't wear out before my slx18 lol, seriously since using a slx18 instead of a Slx22 getting a ultimate brush instead of my sill brush and electric reel my shoulder as improve loads, so when the time comes I'm going to get a extreme 18 with the extreme brushes lol.

I have a xtreme 47, but daily I only use the top 5 sections, both to reduce weight and due to the bottom sections being very fat and not that comfortable to hold.

I've tried a couple of poles apart from this one, a hybrid pole and an aluminum one, the extreme is a so much better pole it's ridiculous. I compared it to the 5+ poles (some gardiners, ionic and others) a friend of mine had and when we propped them up the extreme bent the least amount. Not very scientific, I know.

I must say I absolutely love working with the extreme, especially with the xtreme 45cm brush head on. But, the maintenance part is a bit of a bummer. I must have missed some part of the maintenance procedure because after a year the two top sections spin freely and I need to move them 5cm out when I clamp them now.

My guess is I forgot to clean the insides of the extensions properly and grit have built up and worn the top part out. I probably also was a bit stingy with the water when rinsing them. I've went through three canisters of PTFE spray though.  :1f602:

Will I buy an extreme again? Probably, but I'm going to try out an SLX35 as my daily driver first, and see how it goes.

I have a xtreme 47, but daily I only use the top 5 sections, both to reduce weight and due to the bottom sections being very fat and not that comfortable to hold.

I've tried a couple of poles apart from this one, a hybrid pole and an aluminum one, the extreme is a so much better pole it's ridiculous. I compared it to the 5+ poles (some gardiners, ionic and others) a friend of mine had and when we propped them up the extreme bent the least amount. Not very scientific, I know.

I must say I absolutely love working with the extreme, especially with the xtreme 45cm brush head on. But, the maintenance part is a bit of a bummer. I must have missed some part of the maintenance procedure because after a year the two top sections spin freely and I need to move them 5cm out when I clamp them now.

My guess is I forgot to clean the insides of the extensions properly and grit have built up and worn the top part out. I probably also was a bit stingy with the water when rinsing them. I've went through three canisters of PTFE spray though.  :1f602:

Will I buy an extreme again? Probably, but I'm going to try out an SLX35 as my daily driver first, and see how it goes.
I find that if you close the clamp lying forward, rather than flush, this prevents the spinning.

you know i read on fourms , facebook ect ect many window cleaners moaning about the prices of extreeme  poles and they only last a year NOT ON HERE MAY I ADD

yet if we worked in a garage we would have 30k worth  on snap on tools stuck in the corner ! we  would still need to buy in a over a grands worth every year too keep updated on new cars ec tect and some of these guys are on very low wages  sometimes we need to take stock of what other trades have to spend on gear each year 

@Nudel  spraying with ptfe spray is almost pointless in reducing wear on sections IMHO the sections will wear depending on how you extend and collapse a pole, As wear becomes apparent on sections of my pole I use Plasti-Kote Clear Sealer 2-3 light coats and it holds up really well,  I also work without a base end cap and get no issues with grit as i am ocd with wiping pole hose. 

I typically use a MK2 Xtreme-22 as my everyday pole and have done so for over 2 years, Used my brand new  Slx-22 today which has sat collecting dust since last december felt quite a bit heavier than my xtreme but surprisingly felt more rigid than the xtreme but i couldn't use it as an everyday pole as i am 5ft weakling  :1f602:

My xtreme with metal bands has had section #2 replaced with a slx section #2 as of last December  and section #3 has been replaced with a mk3 section #3 as off last October and i would say the wear rate and maintenance on the slx and extreme sections isn't any different. 

Thanks you for sharing your experience @Iron Giant

Need to try out the clear coat method, sounds brilliant
Its touch dry in seconds, I strip the pole down clean it then apply spray to required sections then I take them in the house overnight were its a lot warmer so it can fully cure, The 2-3 very light coats gives a nice matt finish.

Some great feedback there guys. Thank you. It's narrowed my decision down to two poles. Th extreme 18 or the slx 18, both of which will reach over 95% of my work, and I'll still have the slx 25 for the other stuff ?

Not all sections are fully compatible between the X3 Xtreme poles and the SLX poles. The first 3 sections are not interchangeable although larger sections should be.
Hi Alex

I yesterday bought an extreme 18 from you, should the worst happen and it snaps can I purchase replacement sections?

may thanks

Back