Lpg gas bottles

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by tlwcs, Mar 3, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

  1. tlwcs

    tlwcs Guest

    Can the be used on their sides like on a fork lift?
    I can secure it easier if it's laid flat
    Anyone use them like this?
    Tony
     
    Advertisement
  2. spruce

    spruce Grand Master
    Member

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2012
    Messages:
    2,536
    Likes Received:
    736
    No they can't be laid on their side.

    A full gas bottle is never full. Its usually about 80% full. The remaining 20% is a space. A gas bottle contains liquid gas which vapourises at the top of the gas bottle in that space. Your gas heater draws gas from the top of the gas bottle.

    If you lay the bottle down liquid gas will be pushed out which will cause an explosion in the gas appliance. Hence the reason why no gas appliance is allowed to be switch on whilst the vehicle is moving.

    A car converted to LPG draws liquid gas from the bottom of the tank and vapourises it in the air intake system of the vehicle in a similar way the old carburetors did. An LPG forklift uses the same principal - a replacement gas bottle can only be fitted one way. It works the same as a road vehicle and draws liquid gas.

    So you can't buy a vehicle LPG tank and use it the run your gas heater, you can only use a vapour tank or an upright gas bottle.
     
  3. tlwcs

    tlwcs Guest


    Fantastic, as always.
    Thank you spruce.
    Tony
     
Advertisement