Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Multiple containers linked

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JackRP

I’ve got a back pack and several containers and a hose reel with the other vital parts. Every time I do a clean I take everything out and set it all up on the floor. (Just the back pack and refill as and when needed).

I was hoping to make it more stream line and quicker and maybe try siphoning from the containers through the back pack/getting a ‘genie in a box’. So all I’d have to do is pull out the hose and get the pole out.

Would it be possible to do this?

Anything's possible. The problem with syphoning into the backpack is having some sort of automatic stop otherwise your backpack would overflow.
A genie in a box would maybe help but you might get lots of airlocks which would be a pain plus they are not cheap at all! You could build your own for a lot less!

There are people who work using a standard pump, controller and connect to 2 or more barrels at the same time. I can't think who does on here but someone does as they use their van for fishing at weekend.

Anything's possible. The problem with syphoning into the backpack is having some sort of automatic stop otherwise your backpack would overflow.
A genie in a box would maybe help but you might get lots of airlocks which would be a pain plus they are not cheap at all! You could build your own for a lot less!

There are people who work using a standard pump, controller and connect to 2 or more barrels at the same time. I can't think who does on here but someone does as they use their van for fishing at weekend.
I’ll have to look into the pump and controller.
I don’t mind having the back pack as a back up or for the trickier windows to get too.
I’m using my car until I get more established etc so the car still needs to be emptied in the same day if needs be. So I wouldn’t do anything too elaborate.
The end goal is to not have to fill up as many times if possible.

Better off buying a Pure Freedom Trolley and placing a fresh container on that instead pf pouring it.
Currently working from my car, so I’d have to get it out for it to work properly. The ultimate goal would be to not fill up/swap over as often. If I had a pure freedom trolley I’d still have to swap it out at the same time as I would fill up. So for me I wouldn’t see the benefit of the trolley in my set up at the moment.

I’ll have to look into the pump and controller.
I don’t mind having the back pack as a back up or for the trickier windows to get too.
I’m using my car until I get more established etc so the car still needs to be emptied in the same day if needs be. So I wouldn’t do anything too elaborate.
The end goal is to not have to fill up as many times if possible.
I started with a backpack and barrels in the back of the car. Filling is a right pain, on some houses you know you will be close to running out but have to rinse well to ensure a good job. It really used to annoy me when I was on the last window and the backpack emptied!!
My back isn't great so I used a 12v pump to transfer the water to the backpack and that was so time consuming....

One possible thing you could do, as long as you could secure it safely (not just those mini orange ratchet straps, decent 1.5ton+ ratchet straps secured to seatbelt mounts) , is have a small tank say upto about 150 litres, then a standard pump and controller, maybe even powered by the car battery (via a fuse) and then at the end of the day lift the empty tank back out?

There are trolleys that take 2 barrels but they are not cheap and a pain to move about with 50kg of water on them!

Maybe target smaller houses then you only need to fill once?

I’ve got a back pack and several containers and a hose reel with the other vital parts. Every time I do a clean I take everything out and set it all up on the floor. (Just the back pack and refill as and when needed).

I was hoping to make it more stream line and quicker and maybe try siphoning from the containers through the back pack/getting a ‘genie in a box’. So all I’d have to do is pull out the hose and get the pole out.

Would it be possible to do this?
its possible mate, this is going back many years but some guys used to have those water dispensing bottles for those machines you know you go up to and take a cup of cold water,as you can tell i don't remember the name of them anyway, they used the bottle placed on top of the backpack (doubling the capacity of it) with a hose attached so the backpack would autofill.
if it were me i would fit a float valve to the backpack via a 20 litre container.
john hewitt sells an amazing item similar to a pump in a box which linked to several water butts is much more easier to use, i used that when i first started, had one of his pump boxes and rows of mango chutney drums filled with water, it worked, that was a long time ago and the h&s and the forum police would frown on it now but you have to start somewhere up trade upwards when you can afford it.

I started with a backpack and barrels in the back of the car. Filling is a right pain, on some houses you know you will be close to running out but have to rinse well to ensure a good job. It really used to annoy me when I was on the last window and the backpack emptied!!
My back isn't great so I used a 12v pump to transfer the water to the backpack and that was so time consuming....

One possible thing you could do, as long as you could secure it safely (not just those mini orange ratchet straps, decent 1.5ton+ ratchet straps secured to seatbelt mounts) , is have a small tank say upto about 150 litres, then a standard pump and controller, maybe even powered by the car battery (via a fuse) and then at the end of the day lift the empty tank back out?

There are trolleys that take 2 barrels but they are not cheap and a pain to move about with 50kg of water on them!

Maybe target smaller houses then you only need to fill once?
I had it the other day where I did a whole house on one fill, I was surprised but also thankful as it was a long walk back to get some water just for a window or 2!!
I don’t think my car could accommodate a tank like that with all the other stuff that comes with me. Also, with 2 little ones and 2 car seats I only have the boot. Granted it is a fairly big boot though.
I live on a new build area so there’s so many different house sizes I couldn’t just pick out the smaller ones. Also, I’ve seen ALOT of cleaners in my area doing one house and then leaving. It’s hard going picking up new people!
I’m going to get my head down and crack on and hopefully in the not too distant future I’ll be looking at vans and van systems.

its possible mate, this is going back many years but some guys used to have those water dispensing bottles for those machines you know you go up to and take a cup of cold water,as you can tell i don't remember the name of them anyway, they used the bottle placed on top of the backpack (doubling the capacity of it) with a hose attached so the backpack would autofill.
if it were me i would fit a float valve to the backpack via a 20 litre container.
john hewitt sells an amazing item similar to a pump in a box which linked to several water butts is much more easier to use, i used that when i first started, had one of his pump boxes and rows of mango chutney drums filled with water, it worked, that was a long time ago and the h&s and the forum police would frown on it now but you have to start somewhere up trade upwards when you can afford it.
I’ll have to look into the float valve option. It’s seems the most viable for how I’m set up right now.

That would be me! well remembered with the fishing!

I just built a toolbox with a pump controller battery and a one-shot remote and drop the hose in the barrels with the hose at the end that has a one-way valve to stop it siphoning back in the barrel when I turn the pump off. it works great everything stays in the van
I did post a thread on here with the toolbox pump build

I just built a toolbox with a pump controller battery and a one-shot remote and drop the hose in the barrels with the hose at the end that has a one-way valve to stop it siphoning back in the barrel when I turn the pump off. it works great everything stays in the van
This is what I wanted to do, so I’ll definitely look into it. See how viable it is for where I am right now. ??

Here it is https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/threads/non-fixed-van-system.34692/post-493843

Latest Posts

Back