Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New set up!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JackRP

So, I’ve got a new set up in the works. It will use the WCW Facelift pump box and siphon from 4 water containers.
I plugged my Big Boy into what will connect to the pump box (reversing the idea) just to see if the water would come out. It soon stopped and obviously didn’t like it from the start.
Now, I have got aqua stops on all of the hozelocks because that’s purely how it worked out cheapest for me! Form what I’ve read about them it seems like as long as it plugged into something then the water will flow (either way)
Also to potentially aid in the query is that I used 8mm microbore rather than garden hose size. (I boiled water, put the ends in and worked it on when soft). Has that stopped the aquastops from working properly?

8C7B88C9-5482-4F39-B7BF-8D513E12D593.jpeg

I am a bit puzzled as to why you have come up with such a complicated set up ?. Cannot see why you need all those hoses and fittings so many areas to introduce leeks or air entry .
I use the family car currently and I’ve looked into get a 100lt tank but they are just a smidge too big to fit in the car.
So the idea was to not have to fill up the big boy so much (time!) and I thought that connecting all 4 of the containers to the pump would mean I could do a good chunk of my day without having to refill or change over.
If I have to break it down to 2 or even 1 container then I will but I was hoping to stream line it a bit.

I am a bit puzzled as to why you have come up with such a complicated set up ?. Cannot see why you need all those hoses and fittings so many areas to introduce leeks or air entry .
It was a first attempt to have a longer lasting system. So if it doesn’t work then I’ll take it on the chin and adjust it.

Hi @JackRP , I think the aquastops only like the water going in one direction - they have a little white plastic flow valve in (I think). I totally get your reasoning but the pump (as far as I know), won’t pump water out of all the containers perfectly at the same time. You may be better off either siphoning one water container at a time, or connecting a longer length hose to your backpack and leaving it in the car while you work. Either way I think both ways will probably still be a pain to be honest. I use a backpack and work from my car (and have done for ages), but I don’t do water fed pole all the time. You may be better with even a 60 or 80 litre tank and a couple of containers to top it up. As you get more work I would think most on here will advise it’s best to get a van and system as you’ll get loads more work done.

I've worked from a 99 plate Nissan Primera since I started with WFP in 2007. It works extremely well for me so have never needed a van for my work.
However, like you, the idea of filling a backpack up numerous times a day from barrels was definitely not for me. So I opted for the 25ltr trolley route. I use a standard Pure freedom trolley frame (not the Nano) with some mods to make it lighter. When one barrel runs out I just lift the next barrel onto the trolley. Job done. I'm 100% WFP. Jobs that are close to the road I don't take the trolley out of the car. Just drop the pick up hose into a barrel and run the hose out of the boot.
I think that the setup you are trying is going to cause you a lot of frustration due to the amount of air in the hoses to start with. It will all need to be purged from the hose and pump before it will work well. Backpacks are cheaper but a lot more work than a trolley that you can just pop a barrel on. Unless of course you are going to fil it from a tank in a van with a hose. At least that's been my experience.
Enjoy your experimenting :)

In theory, it's a good idea but until you put what you've made into practice you'll never know and as already pointed out the potential issues are air in the hose and aqua stops whack the controller on full blast and see if it will draw water through

I built something similar, instead of the Aquastop I have a oneway valve so the water doesn't siphon back down when I turn the pump off/change barrels
I only use one barrel at a time you get used to how much water each house needs, most of the time one barrel is plenty per house, so i just change it each time I finish a house

I just think you are potentially introducing a lot of problems by having so many fittings .
So I’ve had a little play with a 2 way and when it worked it worked great! BUT it was patchy, so was never going to be efficient.
So I left it to one container.
I have since then noticed that using one container at a time is another problem in itself. I’d do a house and be nearer the bottom so would have to change over so I didn’t have to go back shortly after starting! That became a bit of a pain!
So I’m thinking of getting a bigger tank.
One question. With the tank I’m getting would I need to get anything to go between that and the pump or is it good to have that much pressure pushing through the pump?

Attachments

• 98397455-9251-4FBC-BC87-7DB7DF2C024A.jpeg
    98397455-9251-4FBC-BC87-7DB7DF2C024A.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi @JackRP , I think the aquastops only like the water going in one direction - they have a little white plastic flow valve in (I think). I totally get your reasoning but the pump (as far as I know), won’t pump water out of all the containers perfectly at the same time. You may be better off either siphoning one water container at a time, or connecting a longer length hose to your backpack and leaving it in the car while you work. Either way I think both ways will probably still be a pain to be honest. I use a backpack and work from my car (and have done for ages), but I don’t do water fed pole all the time. You may be better with even a 60 or 80 litre tank and a couple of containers to top it up. As you get more work I would think most on here will advise it’s best to get a van and system as you’ll get loads more work done.
After doing some testing I’ve come to the conclusion that getting an 80lt tank will be so much better and much more efficient!

I built something similar, instead of the Aquastop I have a oneway valve so the water doesn't siphon back down when I turn the pump off/change barrels
I only use one barrel at a time you get used to how much water each house needs, most of the time one barrel is plenty per house, so i just change it each time I finish a house
I did it with one container then switched it for the next but I found I had an 1/8 left in each one so then had to carefully pour all of the little bits to make one big one!
I’ve come to the conclusion that it’ll be easier and more efficient to get an 80lt tank and a few top up extras next to it

In theory, it's a good idea but until you put what you've made into practice you'll never know and as already pointed out the potential issues are air in the hose and aqua stops whack the controller on full blast and see if it will draw water through
I tried it out with 2 containers and when it worked it was great but it was too unreliable as when it found some air it really didn’t like it.
So I’m looking at a bigger container (80lt) to cut out any messing about.
I’m just wondering whether I’ll need anything between the tank and pump or whether the pressure will be ok for the pump?

Attachments

• 4EAB27CB-93C7-417E-B1A4-A5FCFA9CB90D.jpeg
    4EAB27CB-93C7-417E-B1A4-A5FCFA9CB90D.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 0
I've worked from a 99 plate Nissan Primera since I started with WFP in 2007. It works extremely well for me so have never needed a van for my work.
However, like you, the idea of filling a backpack up numerous times a day from barrels was definitely not for me. So I opted for the 25ltr trolley route. I use a standard Pure freedom trolley frame (not the Nano) with some mods to make it lighter. When one barrel runs out I just lift the next barrel onto the trolley. Job done. I'm 100% WFP. Jobs that are close to the road I don't take the trolley out of the car. Just drop the pick up hose into a barrel and run the hose out of the boot.
I think that the setup you are trying is going to cause you a lot of frustration due to the amount of air in the hoses to start with. It will all need to be purged from the hose and pump before it will work well. Backpacks are cheaper but a lot more work than a trolley that you can just pop a barrel on. Unless of course you are going to fil it from a tank in a van with a hose. At least that's been my experience.
Enjoy your experimenting :)
The frustration was real. When it worked it worked but it wouldn’t do a days work without you wanting to throw it all in the bin. With the stop start nature the pump just wouldn’t like it so I’m going for an 80lt tank with a few fill ups!

After doing some testing I’ve come to the conclusion that getting an 80lt tank will be so much better and much more efficient!
Sounds like a good plan. It's tricky when you start - there is so much equipment available now from so many suppliers - but you soon get into the swing of it.

So, I’ve got a new set up in the works. It will use the WCW Facelift pump box and siphon from 4 water containers.
I plugged my Big Boy into what will connect to the pump box (reversing the idea) just to see if the water would come out. It soon stopped and obviously didn’t like it from the start.
Now, I have got aqua stops on all of the hozelocks because that’s purely how it worked out cheapest for me! Form what I’ve read about them it seems like as long as it plugged into something then the water will flow (either way)
Also to potentially aid in the query is that I used 8mm microbore rather than garden hose size. (I boiled water, put the ends in and worked it on when soft). Has that stopped the aquastops from working properly?

View attachment 28162

What kind of pole are you using ?

Latest Posts

Back