Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

V16 Controller Shutting Down

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Iron Giant

Staff member
Only been using the controller just over a week and it decided to pack up today halfway through a house the water stopped so I went back to my van and the controller was off and wouldn't switch back on again had to go home still nothing checked all connections as it's a brand new facelift system all rock solid get it going again then it shuts down on its own Flo flashes up for one second then off anyone else had this?

WCW at the Wales branch has been spot on and is sending a replacement but not until Monday due to the weekend, thankfully got an old spare controller which I fitted but one of the bullet connectors was dodgy so had to go to Toolstaion to get some now got 99 spares and the 5-year-old controller is working a treat.

Only been using the controller just over a week and it decided to pack up today halfway through a house the water stopped so I went back to my van and the controller was off and wouldn't switch back on again had to go home still nothing checked all connections as it's a brand new facelift system all rock solid get it going again then it shuts down on its own Flo flashes up for one second then off anyone else had this?

WCW at the Wales branch has been spot on and is sending a replacement but not until Monday due to the weekend, thankfully got an old spare controller which I fitted but one of the bullet connectors was dodgy so had to go to Toolstaion to get some now got 99 spares and the 5-year-old controller is working a treat.
Sounds like one for @Ian Sheppard

Has it got a fuse, if it does you could pull it out and then put it back in.
It has and I used to try that in the past but don't want to risk that working and then going to work and it shutting again and me losing more time swapping controllers around again.

Hi Iron Giant.

Apologies for the delayed reply I was off for a couple days and just picked up on this post. Interesting one here. I have feeling that it may be a blown FET. it is difficult to be 100% until we see the controller back from WCW. Hopefully the replacement is with you and working as intended

Cheers

Hi Iron Giant.

Apologies for the delayed reply I was off for a couple days and just picked up on this post. Interesting one here. I have feeling that it may be a blown FET. it is difficult to be 100% until we see the controller back from WCW. Hopefully the replacement is with you and working as intended

Cheers
Thanks for picking this up.

I'm still waiting for the controller to turn up nothing was actioned on Friday as promised or yesterday after I got onto them again, not turning till sometime tomorrow, just as well I had an old controller.

The replacement controller finally turned up after 12pm yesterday, thanks to wcw that would have seen me loose almost 3 days earnings ?

In contrast, I ordered a V16 Auto Fill to replace a failing V11 from @doug atkinson yesterday at 10:30am and DPD are delivering between 11:33 and 12:33 today!
If it was up to me to sort a replacement I would have order from Doug in a heartbeat but I wasn't parting with any cash after the system had been in use almost 7 working days.

If I didn't keep my old controller I would have been sat at home for 3 days and I doubt no amount of kicking and screaming would have seen wcw reimburse me for lost earnings which would have had a domino effect for weeks and my losses would have much more substantial and dwarfed the cost of a new controller.

Just goes to show it pays to have spares even if they are over 5 years old

Always worth having a backpack charged..... Can easily get a days work done..
Not with my back and the amount of work I have, plus my tank takes up the majority of load area I'd get the BP and 3 containers in no good with 25+ houses a day I'd have to keep returning home to refill not a chance I'd complete any of my full days

You can always get one of those little pumps to fill up a back pack from main tank for emergencies.... That with a sack trolley you would be ok.

Hey Lads, just on the subject of the V16 controller. I'm having some fluctuation on the bat readings. Tried to post vid but not letting me.

Basically I was getting some flashing bat signs on controller, they've stopped now. I fully charged the battery (Exide Dual ER550 115AH) yesterday with smart charger. Today when I push button to check bat on the the V16, the battery goes down and up. For example, it started at 12.0, goes immediately to 11.6, 11.4, 11.2, 11.0 and incrementally goes back up to 11.4,11.5,11.8 etc. It's a relatively new battery aswell, is that normal?

Last edited:
Hey Lads, just on the subject of the V16 controller. I'm having some fluctuation on the bat readings. Tried to post vid but not letting me.

Basically I was getting some flashing bat signs on controller, they've stopped now. I fully charged the battery (Exide Dual ER550 115AH) yesterday with smart charger. Today when I push button to check bat on the the V16, the battery goes down and up. For example, it started at 12.0, goes immediately to 11.6, 11.4, 11.2, 11.0 and incrementally goes back up to 11.4,11.5,11.8 etc. It's a relatively new battery aswell, is that normal?
First off check every connection, not just visually but give them a bit of a light tug. If any connection is corroded or not tight (check fuse connections as well where it goes in the holder) then the voltage will drop. A reading below 12v (without pump running) is BAD, the V16 controller has a battery cut off set at 10.5v (under load). A fully charged (rested for 3 to 4 hrs with no load) battery should read about 12.8v, at 50% remaining capacity (again rested no load or charge for 3 to 4 hrs) battery should read about 12.0v, you should not let your battery go this low as any lower will be reducing the batteries life.

I would guess you have been taking your battery below 12v and killed it or you have a poor connection. Ideally you should mains charge your battery each night to give as long a life as possible and not take it below 12.0v (off load).

Hope that helps.

Basically I was getting some flashing bat signs on controller, they've stopped now. I fully charged the battery (Exide Dual ER550 115AH) yesterday with smart charger. Today when I push button to check bat on the the V16, the battery goes down and up. For example, it started at 12.0, goes immediately to 11.6, 11.4, 11.2, 11.0 and incrementally goes back up to 11.4,11.5,11.8 etc. It's a relatively new battery as well, is that normal?

Further to @ched999uk excellent response: if you are using crocodile clamps on the battery, please replace them with battery clamps.

Hey @Iron Giant its look like I’m having similar uses to you here. Did your replacement fix the issue? My controller is the same one as yours but the replacement hasn’t fixed the issue at all.

Hey @Iron Giant its look like I’m having similar uses to you here. Did your replacement fix the issue? My controller is the same one as yours but the replacement hasn’t fixed the issue at all.
The replacement I received I haven't had any issues at all with it, the problem controller was looked at by @Ian Sheppard and returned but no faults were found.

Maybe disconnect your controller for 2 minutes reconnect or take out the fuse and put it back in this something I have done in the past with my old system and it's reset the controller.

Afternoon Clean deeper.

As the controller is switching off. Check all the cables from the battery all the way through to the controller, Also check the Fuse/Fuse holder for signs of corrosion. replace any damaged cable and corroded connectors. With Cable connectors avoid using Choc Block or insulation tape. The Choc blocks have exposed terminals and Tape pulls apart from vibration as the van is moving.

What type of connectors are being used on the battery Please. Also what are the battery volts and how old is the battery

Cheers

Latest Posts

Back