Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pump / controller faulty?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

jimmystevens

Got a streamline system with old SFC5 controller - it's developed a fault today and can't work out what's causing it.

I stop the water using the univalve, the pump stops and DE shows on controller.

When I open the univalve it doesn't kick back in. Either DE stays on screen or it turns itself off and I have to go back to the van to turn on again.

Have tried calibration on many different settings but makes no difference.

No blockages or air locks because when it's working there's no issues, just when using the univalve.

Anyone had this before or know what might be the issue?

Thank you

Maybe contact @Ian Sheppard at Spring Europe @jimmystevens

Over the years, we have found most controller problems are either due to water ingress or reversed battery polarity (older controllers) after removing the battery for bench charging.

The new V16 controller has reverse polarity protection.

When the controller goes into dead end mode, does the controller pulse every 3 to 4 seconds to test if your Univalve it still closed? Spring Europe offer a repair service, which means you will be without a controller for a while and cost approx half the cost of a new controller. IMHO, I would just replace it with the latest model. You then have the choice of sending your old controller in for repair so you have a backup in stock or to just bin it. I would bin it.

As a long shot, I would recalibrate the controller and see if that sorts out the problem. Because I'm old guard, I would also open it up to have a nosey inside to see if there is any obvious fault, again another long shot. We have Varistream controllers. Power to and from the circuit board was via a plug and socket. Someone on here a long time ago also had one, and a bad connection on one of the plug terminals caused his failure.

Probably a long shot but double check all your connections not just visually but give each one a tug and check they are actually good connections.
If you have a multimeter even better, check the voltages at every connection point both 12v and 0v.
It probably is the controller but checking the connections won't do any harm and will stand you in good stead for the replacement.

Thank you Spruce and Ched for your good advice on the thread.

The controller powering off I woudl check cables and connections are sound, Replace any that are worn or corroded including the fuse and fuse holder. Also check the battery terminal connectors are tight and clean. Avoid using Croc style clips as these can move while driving. On teh cables you want to use good water resistant bullet connectors. Darren Asboro covers this nicely

If all the cables and connections are sound then as Spruce mentions over time components can fail and what may be happening to your controller is that the Pump drive stage has a short and it that instance replacing it would be my suggestion.The V16 have a 2 year return to base warranty and are straight forward to fit

Cheers
Ian Sheppard

Hi all, many thanks for your replies.

Been living with it but had time today to strip the controller down - had water in it! Few solders on the circuit board were shitty so I scraped them off but hasn't cured it.

Will bite the bullet and buy a new controller I think.

Thanks again

Got a streamline system with old SFC5 controller - it's developed a fault today and can't work out what's causing it.

I stop the water using the univalve, the pump stops and DE shows on controller.

When I open the univalve it doesn't kick back in. Either DE stays on screen or it turns itself off and I have to go back to the van to turn on again.

Have tried calibration on many different settings but makes no difference.

No blockages or air locks because when it's working there's no issues, just when using the univalve.

Anyone had this before or know what might be the issue?

Thank you
I'm having the same problem, not all the time, but random. I have to turn the water up to like 90 then back down again for it to kick back in

Latest Posts

Back