Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My home made pump box

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CleanDeeper

After having a play about with the Facelift pump box but having a few issues with the lead acid battery and charger I wanted to try make my own using a lithium battery.

It’s very similar to Facelift one but using the Shurflo pump and 8mm ID hose and 8mm elbows etc. one problem with lithium is you cannot get them wet so I’ve ran a cable to the front of the car where I have the battery under the passenger seat.

I’m just doing this post to help anyone else who may just be starting out like me and wants to run a hose from the car rather than dragging a trolley.

Attachments

• IMG_4579.jpeg
    IMG_4579.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4581.jpeg
    IMG_4581.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4580.jpeg
    IMG_4580.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 29
This is the battery I’ve used which is 22AH and includes a charger. The charger just plugs in the side which is good. Take about 4-5 hours to charge fully. I’ve used SAE cable with 10amp fuse to o-ring terminals rather than the T-bar supplied.

Attachments

• IMG_4587.jpeg
    IMG_4587.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 6
After having a play about with the Facelift pump box but having a few issues with the lead acid battery and charger I wanted to try make my own using a lithium battery.

It’s very similar to Facelift one but using the Shurflo pump and 8mm ID hose and 8mm elbows etc. one problem with lithium is you cannot get them wet so I’ve ran a cable to the front of the car where I have the battery under the passenger seat.

I’m just doing this post to help anyone else who may just be starting out like me and wants to run a hose from the car rather than dragging a trolley.
Why can’t you get a lithium battery wet ?. Ours get wet every day and not had any issues, if fact we Evan wash them off with a garden hose to remove chemical spills on them ( trolleys )

Why can’t you get a lithium battery wet ?. Ours get wet every day and not had any issues, if fact we Evan wash them off with a garden hose to remove chemical spills on them ( trolleys )
Maybe you can if they are sealed units but from the research I had done it said lithium batteries can explode if they get wet.

I think the thought of being round someone’s back garden cleaning windows and a pipe split or came off in the box and it’s filled with water with the battery in the box scared me so I decided against it. Plus it’s easier to remove not being in the box.

Maybe you can if they are sealed units but from the research I had done it said lithium batteries can explode if they get wet.

I think the thought of being round someone’s back garden cleaning windows and a pipe split or came off in the box and it’s filled with water with the battery in the box scared me so I decided against it. Plus it’s easier to remove not being in the box.
Any battery if totally submerged in water will short circuit and could explode but I don’t think lithium is any more at risk than a lead acid one in this situation , lithium however is far more temperamental at low temperatures and cannot be used or charged below about 4 degrees I think it is .

I wonder if the problem about getting it wet is that when Lithium batteries are shorted they can catch fire then they are difficult to put out?

Any battery if totally submerged in water will short circuit and could explode but I don’t think lithium is any more at risk than a lead acid one in this situation , lithium however is far more temperamental at low temperatures and cannot be used or charged below about 4 degrees I think it is .

The problem I had with the lead battery was it started popping caps off the top. The battery wasn’t on charge and the intelligent charger apparently is safe to leave on charge and will not over charge but something went wrong. It was replaced with another battery and the whole thing stopped working again after 3 hours work. I then did some research on lithium which is what they use on the Nano as you stated. It’s seemed the better option all round, lighter, safer to charge, gives longer battery etc. thanks for your input though, it’s been a learning curve. Once I hit a set amount of income I will be going to a van system but for now this will have to do.

The problem I had with the lead battery was it started popping caps off the top. The battery wasn’t on charge and the intelligent charger apparently is safe to leave on charge and will not over charge but something went wrong. It was replaced with another battery and the whole thing stopped working again after 3 hours work. I then did some research on lithium which is what they use on the Nano as you stated. It’s seemed the better option all round, lighter, safer to charge, gives longer battery etc. thanks for your input though, it’s been a learning curve. Once I hit a set amount of income I will be going to a van system but for now this will have to do.
The battery connections on the nano lithium battery aren’t good it’s a design fault the quick release wiring makes minimum contact with the battery causing bad connection to the battery in turn this creates heat , the connection is almost a pyramid , my mate who’s a marine electrician has altered the wiring on our trollies and hard wired them bolting them to the battery’s this has made a huge difference to the pump speed and no more start stop issues in use , the original fittings are designed for golf trollies and they are also renowned for being very unreliable with the connection.

The battery connections on the nano lithium battery aren’t good it’s a design fault the quick release wiring makes minimum contact with the battery causing bad connection to the battery in turn this creates heat , the connection is almost a pyramid , my mate who’s a marine electrician has altered the wiring on our trollies and hard wired them bolting them to the battery’s this has made a huge difference to the pump speed and no more start stop issues in use , the original fittings are designed for golf trollies and they are also renowned for being very unreliable with the connection.
I seen they have a white block connector, I’ve used SAE which is simple and from what I can see is used across many applications so should be ok. The only thing I’m not 100% on is the fuse I should be using. The controller comes with a 5amp but the pump says use a 10amp.

I seen they have a white block connector, I’ve used SAE which is simple and from what I can see is used across many applications so should be ok. The only thing I’m not 100% on is the fuse I should be using. The controller comes with a 5amp but the pump says use a 10amp.
Mine have 10 amp fuses

Attachments

• IMG_2558.jpeg
    IMG_2558.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2559.jpeg
    IMG_2559.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 4

Latest Posts

Back