Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Neighbours right to complain?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi everyone. 

So i just brought a transit custom and i'm waiting to get a WFP System installed.

My concern is the neighbours complaining about me filling up the tank each day.  We don't have our own drive so would need to run a hose along our path way, onto the public pathway for about 10 yards, then into my van which will be parked on the road in our street. If i put all the appropriate safety signage out, would anyone have a right to complain about the hose leading to the van?

Hopefully the neighbours will be sound, but as the street has next to no parking, i feel a bit of tension could build up and someone could complain.

Im also looking for a system that can fill a 500 tank as fast as possible to stop any inconvenience. 

(Attached Picture)

The RED is the neighbours property.

The GREEN is ours.

The BLUE will be the hose.

Thanks in advance ?

Chad.

View attachment 18958
I don't think you're encroaching on your neighbours land, if you follow your path then round the bollard it looks like you cross a public footpath to where the Picasso is parked, if you back your van where it is parked and keep your hose tidy. Just mention it to your neighbours and put a cone down. It shouldn't really be a problem.

Hi everyone. 

So i just brought a transit custom and i'm waiting to get a WFP System installed.

My concern is the neighbours complaining about me filling up the tank each day.  We don't have our own drive so would need to run a hose along our path way, onto the public pathway for about 10 yards, then into my van which will be parked on the road in our street. If i put all the appropriate safety signage out, would anyone have a right to complain about the hose leading to the van?

Hopefully the neighbours will be sound, but as the street has next to no parking, i feel a bit of tension could build up and someone could complain.

Im also looking for a system that can fill a 500 tank as fast as possible to stop any inconvenience. 

(Attached Picture)

The RED is the neighbours property.

The GREEN is ours.

The BLUE will be the hose.

Thanks in advance ?

Chad.

View attachment 18958

If you have an on-board r/o where would you dump your waste water? Running it in the street will create more issues than anything else imho.

You haven't told us if you could produce and store water in a convenient place. If you could have a static tank then I would run a transfer hose to the van and fill it that way - 10 to 15 minutes at the most.

The other problem with an on-board r/o is keeping it from freezing in the winter.

You got it good fella! I live in center of portsmouth and it's so busy round here, I'm lucky to park within a few minutes walk from my house! I make all my own water in a large shed at the bottom of my garden and then have to run a hose out over 40m down a back alley - through cat/fox/hedgehog **** to the ned where I've then got to try and get a space to pull up and fill up!

Speed of filling up was key for me as don't want to leave hose unattended as it crosses a busy pavement to the van.

I am a full time fire fighter so know a bit about fluid dynamics and flow and have experimented with a lot of hose? I use 3/4" garden hose connected to a 1000w submersible from amazon here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LWMLX5N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fills my 350 litre tank in about 10 mins

Water loses its flow rate big time over distance so where i had to pump over 40m I could really tell the difference when i used a bigger internal diameter. I even used what they call lay flat hose which is what we use at work to put fires out, we use 70mm and combined with the truck mounted pump could fill a 1000l IBC in less than a minute! I got smaller stuff to try think it was about 40mm but found it wouldn't keep its shape as the pressure was too low and so the flow rate dropped too low.

I've found that the the thick firm walled hose holds its shape better and so the flow is better, the stuff that @Baldmonkey suggested i think is a good choice (not sure on price though?) I can try and find where i got mine from if you're interested? I also managed to scav an old hose reel drum from work that i use to reel it back on which really helps when your doing it almost every day.

Ive got a motor from a mobility scooter that I found in a skip sat down the shed ready to power the reel so thats a project for this summer? Trust me if I can over engineer somethin ng I will haha

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you can put a 1000l ibc in the garden and get a submersible pump from screwfix (link to follow tonight when I get home and find it) you can fill while at work or overnight and spend 15 minutes in the morning or night before pumping to van.

Makes life a bit easier and if you have a big job on you can pop home for more water during the day and fill up in the time it takes to have a cuppa.

Just use the biggest hose you can get as I'm sure the fittings on the pump will take up to 1.1/4".

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb582pmp-750w-dirty-water-pump/55753

Last edited by a moderator:
For sure, It's better not to process the water in the van with your parking situation. It will be a constant worry having a hose across the footpath for that amount of time: vandalism, accidental or deliberate falls, wheel chair users, complaints from people with nothing better to do.

Could, you as it's been suggested, build a tidy little shed in your property for the tank and processing equipment? Big enough for : tank, processing, transfer hose and a few spares. Place the tank first and build the (insulated) shed around it. Run water and electricity (outside grade double socket but fitted inside shed) to it for a transfer pump and a 60w tube heater for when it's freezing. Also for a booster pump if if it's needed.

Easier to do than you might think. ?

For sure, It's better not to process the water in the van with your parking situation. It will be a constant worry having a hose across the footpath for that amount of time: vandalism, accidental or deliberate falls, wheel chair users, complaints from people with nothing better to do.

Could, you as it's been suggested, build a tidy little shed in your property for the tank and processing equipment? Big enough for : tank, processing, transfer hose and a few spares. Place the tank first and build the (insulated) shed around it. Run water and electricity (outside grade double socket but fitted inside shed) to it for a transfer pump and a 60w tube heater for when it's freezing. Also for a booster pump if if it's needed.

Easier to do than you might think. ?
You can get a keter plastic shed from wickes for about a ton that fits 3 wheelie bins easily.

It will fit a 600l ibc or 3x210l water butts connected together at the bottom for an even draw of water and fill them and pump to van.

They do a bigger one that will fit a 1000l inc and ro in.

I insulated mine with spray adhesive and 10mm foam underlay and put a tube heater in.

Never frozen once.

You can get a keter plastic shed from wickes for about a ton that fits 3 wheelie bins easily.

It will fit a 600l ibc or 3x210l water butts connected together at the bottom for an even draw of water and fill them and pump to van.

I insulated mine with spray adhesive and 10mm foam underlay and put a tube heater in.

Never frozen once.
I personally would want to store at least 1000 litres. I think the Keter shed that would accommodate that size is quite large and might be too much of a visual obstruction for a front garden, especially as it's overlooked by neighbours. I'd try to keep it fairly compact. I'd also fit an alarm that bleeps discreetly in the house if it detects anyone prowling or opening it. Around £20 .  Jobar Driveway Patrol alert sensor wireless, Ebay Bric a brac, bargain, 6538. weatherproof alarm.

I have two sensors covering my drive, and two automatic security floodlights. I'm lucky enough to live in a nice area but I work on the knowledge that bad people travel.

Definitely some options to consider.

Good luck ?

I personally would want to store at least 1000 litres. I think the Keter shed that would accommodate that size is quite large and might be too much of a visual obstruction for a front garden, especially as it's overlooked by neighbours. I'd try to keep it fairly compact. I'd also fit an alarm that bleeps discreetly in the house if it detects anyone prowling or opening it. Around £20 .  Jobar Driveway Patrol alert sensor wireless, Ebay Bric a brac, bargain, 6538. weatherproof alarm.

I have two sensors covering my drive, and two automatic security floodlights. I'm lucky enough to live in a nice area but I work on the knowledge that bad people travel.

Definitely some options to consider.

Good luck ?
Mine is in the back garden as we have an alleyway that accesses the garages behind so I moved my fence in a good few foot and made parking round the back with a sliding gate to lock it up at night so have the keter shed in the back garden behind the fence.

That way I have my own area and son and wife park on the drive.

Luckily where I am on the end we have a very long garden so it is the size of a normal garden even with the fence encroaching on it.

I've tried connecting two wheelie bins together with normal sized pipe and the water cannot drain from one to the other quick enough to keep up with the pump - it's a massive bottle neck in the whole system. Better off with just one container

It would be nice to keep everything in one place and certainly if there's ever any leaks or blown connections it's way better to be outside but production through an RO would be much slower outside in the cold than in the warm house. Anyway we are speculating here because the OP hasn't even told us how he is making/storing the water yet..he may have it sussed already

Mine is warm all the time.

Put the tube heater on and it is nice and warm in there.

Gonna have the same effect in a cold van.

My van is too far away from the house to make pure indoors.

Never had any issues though.

Speak to the neighbours (take round a peace offering (bake a cake (wife made obviously)/beers) if words have already been had and genuinely try to understand what the 'issue' is (trip/messy/nosey/just feeling left out)

Once they have their grievance genuinely heard most peoples hackles drop... whatever they say don't argue, thank them and say you want to think about they have said and will come back in a few days....

Then try to accommodate whatever their concerns are, they will feel listened to and if they see you accommodate them in the 'solution' you will have their 'buy in' for the 'solution' - then you don't have to clean their windows for free...(not sure that's a great bribe anyhow - the power relationship will be weighted in their favour - you 'owe' them something - and they may feel they have a 'hold' over you...) 

Best reach a compromise which everyone is happy about

Would a lay flat style hose help mitigate trip slip risks?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/2in-layflat-hose/?da=1&TC=GS-051020154&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4vm1ieWS5wIVGeDtCh3BKgn5EAQYBSABEgIgUPD_BwE

61FB0560-32D7-4DEB-9318-EC58675EDFB4-small.jpg

Or one of these boys would may help

https://www.theworkplacedepot.co.uk/hose-protection-ramp?p=17454&vat=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlJnxpeWS5wIVh6ztCh30GQh_EAQYASABEgKTGfD_BwE

hose-protection-ramp-6_2.jpg

Oh...and can you run the hose straight onto your garden, even bury it in a shallow trench rather then down the rhs of your shared path, (with a join at end of your garden, so you just need to put out/in the hose over the 'road') then to the far kerb and then left along the gutter - you would be away from the neighbours garden...would need a crushable hose obviously in case people drive over it.

Back