Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie exploring possibilities (Potential career change)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hello again guys, just thought I'd give you a quick update as to what I'm thinking at the minute. One of the things I said was that I'd give the job another month (until 3 months in) to see whether it improves and whether I start to enjoy it more. I've just made it through my 12th week and I do have to say the job has picked up and improved since last posting, now I'm properly registered on their systems and I know what I'm doing it has gotten better.

I'm still not convinced it's the job for me though, one of my biggest reservations and things I'm not enjoying is working nights. I know I've got it easy at the minute with it still being light until around 10pm and I know it's only going to get worse in the winter months so I've decided to take another step towards trying window cleaning and build on the trad gear I've already got. 

Earlier today I've ordered a SLX 35 (Super-lite 26cm medium mixed brush & 2mm pencil jets), gardiner backpack, univalve, a few 25L water tanks, a sack truck and a few other bits and pieces. It wasn't cheap but even if I decide it's not for me full time I'll still be able to do my own windows/families and friends that may want them doing and see some return on investment. 

I'm looking forward to it all arriving here and being able to have a play with it and thanks for all your advice so far.

I haven't read every post on this thread but i would also advocate getting a tidy van. Professional sign writing isn't expensive, will give your business a professional appearance and potentially generate new work. I'd say the same about branded workwear.

It is possible to set up fairly cheaply. I cleaned traditional using the family estate car for the first couple of years but buying a van was 100% the right thing to do. I did start WFP when I had the car with a Gardiner Backpack, CLX18 and a barrel of pure.

WFP needn't be expensive, I still use the original backpack and I now have a spare on a trolley. Can't see why anyone would pay the extra for a pure freedom trolley over a backpack on a trolley, they both do the same thing. I don't have a reel, just 25 metres of pole hose and that gets me all the way around most houses. A 400 litre tank in the van with a cheap 12volt submersible pump I use to fill the backpacks (takes seconds). A SLX18 pole will clean 99% of house windows if you're 6 feet tall or bigger.

The tax thing is very simple for a sole trader, set up an account with HMRC. All you need is your income for the year and expenses. That gives you your profit (or loss). Doesn't need to be anymore complicated than that.

If I was in your situation I would try to get a driving job that covers weekends and some week days and build a round that takes one day per week, when you've got too much for one day, increase to two and drop a day driving. Continue building until you can drop the driving altogether.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello again guys, just thought I'd give you a quick update as to what I'm thinking at the minute. One of the things I said was that I'd give the job another month (until 3 months in) to see whether it improves and whether I start to enjoy it more. I've just made it through my 12th week and I do have to say the job has picked up and improved since last posting, now I'm properly registered on their systems and I know what I'm doing it has gotten better.

I'm still not convinced it's the job for me though, one of my biggest reservations and things I'm not enjoying is working nights. I know I've got it easy at the minute with it still being light until around 10pm and I know it's only going to get worse in the winter months so I've decided to take another step towards trying window cleaning and build on the trad gear I've already got. 

Earlier today I've ordered a SLX 35 (Super-lite 26cm medium mixed brush & 2mm pencil jets), gardiner backpack, univalve, a few 25L water tanks, a sack truck and a few other bits and pieces. It wasn't cheap but even if I decide it's not for me full time I'll still be able to do my own windows/families and friends that may want them doing and see some return on investment. 

I'm looking forward to it all arriving here and being able to have a play with it and thanks for all your advice so far.
I've also got a SLX35. I use it for my townhouses, some solar panels and a few other bits the SLX18 won't reach. I know you don't want to spend out unnecessarily but when I put the 35 back in the van and get the 18 it is a massive relief, the 18 feels like waving a pencil around by comparison. I can't imagine how big my shoulders would be if I used a 35 all the time. Univalves are brilliant. Rhino pole hose is fantastic, I used to go through the Gardiner reinforced very quickly, the Rhino pole hose has lasted over two years and still going strong. David Kemp sells it through his company Jigsaw innovations, I got mine at the window cleaning show. If you buy a very long pole hose (about 25 - 30 metres for an 18) you won't need to move the backpack, just drop it, turn it on and work your way around the whole house.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Danfire Thanks for the advice, I'm not yet at the point where I'm trying to make a business out of it more just trying it out and whether I like it before I look at going any further but I think you're spot on with the advice about getting a van when the time comes. If I do decided to go ahead with the window cleaning I could probably find some truck driving with an agency to suit me to top up my income if the window cleaning takes a while to take off. 

I've opted for the SLX35 as like you say town houses and two story buildings are more popular now, my sisters just moved into one on a new built estate and they've got lots of them popping up. As i'll be using one pole for everything (at least for a little while) I might decide to take off a few of the sections I don't need to save some weight and add them back on as required. 

Back