Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie thinking of starting up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

He's in Pembroke which is 100 miles away , does that mean I can't use the name ? I guess so .
There is no active trademarks or any registered company using the name '

Red Dragon Window Cleaning'.

Which means the guy is using it as a trading name only and you are free to do so as well, providing you don't intend to go 'National' so there's no chance the public could confuse your business for his and vice-versa.

There is no chance what so ever of me going national ! That's sealed it ! I'm using Red Dragon Window Cleaners !

All I need now is

Tools

Skills

Business cards

Flyers

Tshirts

Customers

Then give up my job

Then skies the limit !

Thank you kindly sir !

Got a quick question , I've seen some people only using extension poles to do 2nd and 3rd storey trad cleaning on the tube of you's . Do I really need a ladder as I can't see me mastering the pole technique anytime soon and I don't mind letting it all hang out in the wind on a ladder . Or is it simply quicker and therefore more profitable to go the pole route ?

Thank you kindly sir !
Got a quick question , I've seen some people only using extension poles to do 2nd and 3rd storey trad cleaning on the tube of you's . Do I really need a ladder as I can't see me mastering the pole technique anytime soon and I don't mind letting it all hang out in the wind on a ladder . Or is it simply quicker and therefore more profitable to go the pole route ?
i am fully trad at the mo but wfp is faster safer but costs a lot in your initial spend.../emoticons/smile.png

I've seen people using wagtails on an extension pole to clean up to 3 storeys , but that wagtail looks like advanced skills to me !

go the ladder route if i was you. get a wagtail squeegee . it will take you a while to pick up the work so dont feel bad if its slow at first moneywise

And so it begins !

Just splashed £110 on new toys

Unger Bucket

Unger scraper

2 Ettore pro grip handles

Porcupine mop

Unger t bar

Wagtail Pivot Control Flipper

Ninja Boab

2 Unger Brass channels !

Wish me luck once I've got ladders and customers !

uve chosen the very best gear by the sounds , wise choices

i had no idea and did my first 3 months with a BnQ squeegee and 1 skanky old bath towel , pathetic when i think back on it !!!

Last edited:
ThankThanks for the heads up !To be brutally honest in the job I'm in now a flat month with no overtime I take home £1580 a month for 38.5 hours a week , 3 shifts Nights Mornings Afternoons . I'm not going to walk out and hope to get customers , I'm going to practise practise practise , then try weekends first to see if I've got what it takes . It's just such a dramatic change to my life being my own boss that I'm a bit worried . I'm no shrinking violet I'm 40 years old but fit , been in charge of a 15 million pound machine for 10 years but this is my last chance in my eyes to make something of myself that I feel I've achieved .

Welcome to window cleaning Rob.

If £1,580.00 per month is you starting point, then your take home pay of £9.47 per hour over 38.5 hours per week will need to be much higher. You don’t get paid holiday pay and you earning hours are less, on top of this working for yourself is more expensive.

You will need to hit closer to £16 per hour to match your current take home pay, but that figure doesn’t include any expenses at all, you will need to work those out yourself based on cost & customers. If you target 2, 3 or 4 customers per hour then just divide what you actually can do to get your minimum price – this is your starting point only for pricing, you should be constantly working your prices, if you don’t your not managing your round fully – that will cost you a fortune in lost revenue

Testing the waters starting trad is a good idea, if you decide it is for you, you should go wfp as soon as you can. Wfp is standard equipment for window cleaning. If you decided to become a kitchen fitter you wouldn’t just use hand tools, you wouldn’t even think about it, same thing applies to window cleaning tools.

Good luck in your new venture.

Richard

Quick update ! Chose a business name and managed to buy the .com address on Go Daddy for £7 a year , well chuffed ! Still practising on my own windows for now , but once I order my Harris Pole and angle adapter I'm gone ! Thanks everyone for all the great advice and replies so far , really is appreciated

Quick update ! Chose a business name and managed to buy the .com address on Go Daddy for £7 a year , well chuffed ! Still practising on my own windows for now , but once I order my Harris Pole and angle adapter I'm gone ! Thanks everyone for all the great advice and replies so far , really is appreciated
Did you go with 'Red Dragon'?

Did you go with 'Red Dragon'?
No , loved the name but couldn't get the .com . So I went with Customers 1st Window Cleaning . Cheesy but gives me the opportunity for easy tag lines in fliers and business cards

Latest Posts

Back