Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Noise

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Truckcab79

Any thoughts or legalities of pressure washing at the weekend? It’s pretty much the only time I have to do it for clients at the moment as the main job is manic.

Hadn’t crossed my mind and never had a complaint but was doing a small landscaping job at a clients today and the neighbour kicked off as I was cutting stone for all of 3 minutes. He was right as technically that breaches most council’s guidelines for building work but what about pressure washing? Noisy as hell but as far as I can see it’s not subject to the same rules.

sounds like he's just one of those guys! I've never heard of noise levels at weekends unless it's at silly times.
I done a job on Saturday, started at 8am, though didn't start the pressure washer until 10am as I didn't want to annoy anyone, turned it off around 5pm and then cleaned up until around 7am. More often than not people complain when the workers are just braindead and don't consider times etc and the rest are just grumpy! I do a lot of weekend work mostly Saturdays and never had a problem and if I did I'd ignore them.

Noise pollution relating to building sites and the like prohibits power tools etc before 8am Mon-Sat and not allowed at all on Sundays (and I think Bank Holidays too).
I realise your circumstances are different but I'm assuming these are the times that would apply across most industries where noise is an issue.
In practice it' just a case of using common sense and showing some consideration for others. Personally I don't start up a machine before 10 at weekends

sounds like he's just one of those guys! I've never heard of noise levels at weekends unless it's at silly times.
I done a job on Saturday, started at 8am, though didn't start the pressure washer until 10am as I didn't want to annoy anyone, turned it off around 5pm and then cleaned up until around 7am. More often than not people complain when the workers are just braindead and don't consider times etc and the rest are just grumpy! I do a lot of weekend work mostly Saturdays and never had a problem and if I did I'd ignore them.
It’s definitely a thing. Mostly aimed at building trades and as most of my work is landscaping and small building works it covers what I do.

Generally 8am-6pm Mon-Fri. 8am-1pm Saturday and nothing on Sundays and BH. You can work but nothing noisy. Essentially hand-tools only after those times. Trade only. DIY you can do what you like. Most councils follow this. How much it’s enforced of course…

Never had an issue before. Neighbour in this instance is a complete bell. Previous day he’d emailed my client because the gardener was using a leaf blower at 6:30pm ?

Just wasn’t sure whether pressure washing was covered.

Noise pollution relating to building sites and the like prohibits power tools etc before 8am Mon-Sat and not allowed at all on Sundays (and I think Bank Holidays too).
I realise your circumstances are different but I'm assuming these are the times that would apply across most industries where noise is an issue.
In practice it' just a case of using common sense and showing some consideration for others. Personally I don't start up a machine before 10 at weekends

Funnily enough 9am is my starting time I always get to a job by 8am latest, so by the time I’m unloaded and set-up and hypo’d 9 is about right to avoid wasted time.

It’s definitely a thing. Mostly aimed at building trades and as most of my work is landscaping and small building works it covers what I do.

Generally 8am-6pm Mon-Fri. 8am-1pm Saturday and nothing on Sundays and BH. You can work but nothing noisy. Essentially hand-tools only after those times. Trade only. DIY you can do what you like. Most councils follow this. How much it’s enforced of course…

Never had an issue before. Neighbour in this instance is a complete bell. Previous day he’d emailed my client because the gardener was using a leaf blower at 6:30pm ?

Just wasn’t sure whether pressure washing was covered.
Best bet is to contact your local council and ask. That way you are 100% sure what the rules are and are armed for the next neighbour that complains. It's up to you to follow the rules or not but at least you know.

Back