Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

so just how much does a £6.50 job go up?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

When a plumber comes and works for 15mins to change a tap washer, and charges £80 no one bats an eyelid. Yet when a window cleaner charges £10 for a visit, its deemed to be a rip off?

Unfortunately this is a product of too much competition driving the price down, hence the public perception is that window cleaning is not worth paying good money for- its just a way of spending the change found in the back of the sofa.

well thats a male perception Tolish. we all know that women see having clean windows as very important

When a plumber comes and works for 15mins to change a tap washer, and charges £80 no one bats an eyelid. Yet when a window cleaner charges £10 for a visit, its deemed to be a rip off?
Unfortunately this is a product of too much competition driving the price down, hence the public perception is that window cleaning is not worth paying good money for- its just a way of spending the change found in the back of the sofa.
Yeah, but the plumber don't roll up on the drive every 4 weeks with pound signs rolling round on his eyes. That's part of the problem I think. We seem to be a pain in the ass for some customers. You can hear them thinking,'oh no not you again.'

Do window cleaners spend years at college learning their trade like plumbers?

you can make good money with low priced work,as long as you have plenty of it . you just have to work smarter . for example no standing around ,youve a job to do and lots of it so crack on . low priced work normally gets tips added so uve time for a quick 1 liner to make the customer laugh .im not silly low with pricing but iv hundreds of low-ish price jobs for my 3workers to do and we get a lot of tips and inside jobs that bump things up by being almost part of the family so to speak.

A benefit about being relatively low priced is that non of the flash boys can get a toehold in your area

after all thats how the Macdonalds empire was built, on low prices .
boarcity is right quick jobs for £5 ideal I go for hourly rate , since i,ve went to WFP I have no need to put prices up since i,m getting through the work quick

getting rid of bad payers also.

as been mentioned before all the over heads poles, van , fuel, all the other gear so you have to work smart, how much time is left cracking coffee breaks

making the most of your time is the key

Yeah, but the plumber don't roll up on the drive every 4 weeks with pound signs rolling round on his eyes. That's part of the problem I think. We seem to be a pain in the ass for some customers. You can hear them thinking,'oh no not you again.'
they are all different tuffers just picked up customer wants his cleaned every two weeks £15

the windows wont even be dirty

Unfortunately this is kind of true. But sometimes I am just being over sensitive. The good customers are the people that WANT clean windows, and usually they are greatful for the service.

Nope. Neither do carpet cleaners, general house cleaners, and baby sitters. But they all demand good rates because they are offering a service that people can't/or dont want to do. And what about dog walkers- never has the phrase 'Theres money in $***' been so fitting. /emoticons/biggrin.png

For the record, I'm not saying don't be cheap, or reasonable. I just don't think its good business to find out the going rate, and then dip below it, just to get more customers. I'm also not saying we are entitled or worthy of the same wage as a plumber, but we are all entitled to a respectable wage and working conditions (i.e breaks, reasonable working times) which runing around like a blue **** fly just to get the cleans in is not condusive to IMHO.

(1.50 increase)

thanks for remembering shazzy...but as brucie would say ....higher higher....my son got it right first guess arrogant thing he is..../emoticons/smile.png

good guess but a bit too high....although some would say that is what some of us need to do:)lower, lower...

seem to be a pain in the ass for some customers. You can hear them thinking,'oh no not you again.'

it really depends whether the custy wants to always have clean windows or is prepared to let them get a bit dirty first....all custys have a different point of view...

the quote about the plumber reminds me of the film the money pit...

whos is that porche on the drive?

Nope. Neither do carpet cleaners, general house cleaners, and baby sitters. But they all demand good rates because they are offering a service that people can't/or dont want to do. And what about dog walkers- never has the phrase 'Theres money in $***' been so fitting. /emoticons/biggrin.png
Domestic Cleaner

Dog Walker

Baby Sitter

Some of the dates are a few years old, but you get my gist.

Window cleaners in comparison do well :thumbsup:. Clean 4 windows taking 2 minutes and getting £3.50 with no travel time, and these are just the lower end jobs we do. We will all have better paid jobs, but these little ones put jam on the bread, or walk a dog and wipe its backside for £8 an hour. I know which one I prefer.

Window cleaners in comparison do well :thumbsup:. Clean 4 windows taking 2 minutes and getting £3.50 with no travel time, and these are just the lower end jobs we do. We will all have better paid jobs, but these little ones put jam on the bread, or walk a dog and wipe its backside for £8 an hour. I know which one I prefer.

just goes to show market forces at work...so many variables....still i think we all now our :turd: end from our:cool: end of work....some you win, some you lose...just depends on the balance at the end of the day:)

great feeling being self employed if you are motivated and believe in yourself your business will get better and better,

so in the future you will end up will the cream work.

Making a good living

Wow Tuffers, I take it back. I had no idea things had gotten so bad. I'm in quite an affluent area at the moment so things are a bit disstorted I suppose so I appologise if my facts are wrong. My mother in law offers all of these services and charges around £20 p/h. When she dog walks she can often have 2 or 3 dogs per hand aswell.

^^ 20 quid an hour walking a dog :confused:. Where do you live Tolish, Sandbanks? /emoticons/biggrin.pnghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbanks

hey dont let the wife see that one...all she does is walk the dogs....mind you they are her dogs.....i do often wave to a van around here and she picks up and walks the dogs ..gotta be a good job....but i not so keen on the ...as mr taytay says ...dog butt candy...:turd:

Lol Tuffers, like I said, its a rich area, with a close knit community, so people pay well if you're part of the crowd.

Just tie them to the back of the van cnc, that'll get em tired. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Lol Tuffers, like I said, its a rich area, with a close knit community, so people pay well if you're part of the crowd.
Just tie them to the back of the van cnc, that'll get em tired. /emoticons/biggrin.png

oh straight away i think of national lampoon....see i watch a lotta tele...it was the trip to the theme park one i think....i might tie the wife to the back of the car in a minute.... :rofl:

Back