Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

On site water production

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Damo

Looking at onsite water production. 

Has anyone used one for larger jobs?

All of the vans in the franchise are delivery only so logistically trying to get them all refilled during the day can be a pain in the bum. 

Ive seen the ionic system but it’s a tad pricey imo. 

My main concerns are;

It might not be used for a few months so would that be an issue with membranes? I’m guessing it would be.

Is it a pain trying to source water on site and maybe power? Would I do better buying one with a small generator for the pump/booster pumps. 

Are they more hassle than they are worth?

Were picking up bigger jobs constantly and this year has seen us clean a record number of schools.

Just after some input, or maybe I’d do better upgrading the bigger vans to have onboard production as well? 

Any input would be great, thanks. 

Last edited by a moderator:

All of the vans in the franchise are delivery only so logistically trying to get them all refilled during the day can be a pain in the bum. 

My main concerns are;

It might not be used for a few months so would that be an issue with membranes? I’m guessing it would be.

Is it a pain trying to source water on site and maybe power? Would I do better buying one with a small generator for the pump/booster pumps. 

Were picking up bigger jobs constantly and this year has seen us clean a record number of schools.

Just after some input, or maybe I’d do better upgrading the bigger vans to have onboard production as well? 

If you're looking at an RO DI system for a warehouse of base office they are common or are you looking at a mobile trolley system similar to what the Americans use ?

Unger do a system aswell i do believe ?  Do you not have spotless water near you or have you 

I'd have a word with @doug atkinson, fairly certain he could cobble something together that would produce plenty enough to fill the tanks quickly. We have onboard filtration but many of the new sites we visit we don't have access to water so use Spotless Water. Onboard would only make filling easier when they're working from home but the Franchisee's would need to spend 3 hours a day, with most systems, filling up.

My main concerns are;

We have filtration on all our vans so they can top up or fill on large commercial jobs , also have 800 ltr per hour booster pumps on them that need mains power obviously but we can produce a 1000 ltr of pure in 2 hours , it will also fill the tank with 4 guys working from one van at the same time , so we travel to commercial with only 100 ltr in the tank and fill on site . 

I know nothing about franchising but would have assumed that the franchisee would be filling his van at his own home ??? , trying to store large volumes of water will need a fair bit of space and a unit , filtration in the vans saves all that . Just my ten penths worth . 

I'd have a word with @doug atkinson, fairly certain he could cobble something together that would produce plenty enough to fill the tanks quickly. We have onboard filtration but many of the new sites we visit we don't have access to water so use Spotless Water. Onboard would only make filling easier when they're working from home but the Franchisee's would need to spend 3 hours a day, with most systems, filling up.
Depending what size tanks they have they could fill at night when they get home ready for the next day . Depending on water pressure I think a booster pump is definitely needed it gives a much quicker fill ,and more consistent water flow . 

Depending what size tanks they have they could fill at night when they get home ready for the next day . Depending on water pressure I think a booster pump is definitely needed it gives a much quicker fill ,and more consistent water flow . 
But most, standard van mounts only produce circa 200-250 litres an hour so from plugging in to being full takes around 3 hours for a 650l tank. You can leave them plugged in all night but personally don't like leaving it like that

But most, standard van mounts only produce circa 200-250 litres an hour so from plugging in to being full takes around 3 hours for a 650l tank. You can leave them plugged in all night but personally don't like leaving it like that
Yes before I had booster pumps on my original van it took 6-8 hours to produce 650 ltr , I used to leave in filling all night ?? and unplug it in the morning , luckily the auto shut off always worked ?????

Yes before I had booster pumps on my original van it took 6-8 hours to produce 650 ltr , I used to leave in filling all night ?? and unplug it in the morning , luckily the auto shut off always worked ?????
My 650l tank takes 3hrs to fill up with my outside tap, I guess I have good pressure.

We have filtration on all our vans so they can top up or fill on large commercial jobs , also have 800 ltr per hour booster pumps on them that need mains power obviously but we can produce a 1000 ltr of pure in 2 hours , it will also fill the tank with 4 guys working from one van at the same time , so we travel to commercial with only 100 ltr in the tank and fill on site . 

I know nothing about franchising but would have assumed that the franchisee would be filling his van at his own home ??? , trying to store large volumes of water will need a fair bit of space and a unit , filtration in the vans saves all that . Just my ten penths worth . 
What sort of system have you got to make 500L in an hour? Do you know what the TDS is after RO?

I produce pure water at two sites and they fill up at either, usually they pick the closest  

What sort of system have you got to make 500L in an hour? Do you know what the TDS is after RO?

I produce pure water at two sites and they fill up at either, usually they pick the closest  
I have Ionic’s pro 5 systems in my vans but have altered  the filtration  to a twin ro s filmtech ones and a 20 ltr resin vessel , tap tds is 80-90  out  of ro s is 002 , but we do work all over the country some places tds is over 400   So have to dump a bit more water but still fill in 2.5 hours 

Just a little update on what I plan on doing. 

The grippatank cabinet has two extra connections for hose reels which I always thought was useless. Having had a think I’ve realised that they are actually useful. 

I plan to upgrade my van to onboard RO and then when we do larger sites I can have my van and 4 hoses reels going. As long as the production keeps up with usage it should work fine. When we stop for lunch it will keep filling. 

If I could have two setup’s like this it would make the larger commercial jobs a lot easier. 

I think the most amount of vans I’ve had at one school was 7 and we finished it in one day but we was all very low on water.

Just a little update on what I plan on doing. 

The grippatank cabinet has two extra connections for hose reels which I always thought was useless. Having had a think I’ve realised that they are actually useful. 

I plan to upgrade my van to onboard RO and then when we do larger sites I can have my van and 4 hoses reels going. As long as the production keeps up with usage it should work fine. When we stop for lunch it will keep filling. 

If I could have two setup’s like this it would make the larger commercial jobs a lot easier. 

I think the most amount of vans I’ve had at one school was 7 and we finished it in one day but we was all very low on water.
You will need a booster pump to produce enough water to run 4 reels and fill at the same time  we do that quite a bit on big commercial work have a word with Oliver he can sort that out for  you .

You will need a booster pump to produce enough water to run 4 reels and fill at the same time  we do that quite a bit on big commercial work have a word with Oliver he can sort that out for  you .
Oh yeah I know that. Both our static systems have booster pumps. They do around 200LPH but I have a TDS of 475 to deal with.  

Oh yeah I know that. Both our static systems have booster pumps. They do around 200LPH but I have a TDS of 475 to deal with.  
We do work all over the country in some places TDSis over 400 but still can produce over 375 ltr per hour minimum at home with a TDS of 90 can produce 1000 ltr in 2 hours . I have an adjustable waist valve and can alter it rather than a fixed waist . 

Are you using Grippatank ro ? They won’t produce the volume of water twin  4040 will 

Last edited by a moderator:
We do work all over the country in some places TDSis over 400 but still can produce over 375 ltr per hour minimum at home with a TDS of 90 can produce 1000 ltr in 2 hours . I have an adjustable waist valve and can alter it rather than a fixed waist .
Are your boosters 240vac or 12vdc? It would be great to find a 12vdc booster but I doubt it's possible?

I was wondering if a 12v Shurflo wfp pump would do for those of us who don't use huge amounts of water.  I think they pump at about 80~100 PSI. That's the optimum pressure for my small processing system. About 600 litres per day is my normal usage. The 240v Streamline Booster Pumps that I use cost into the hundreds of pounds. The motors last me about 3 years, in which time I might go through about 2 replacement brass pumps. Each I think over £150 if I remember correctly. This is something I do need to look into in readiness.

I was wondering if a 12v Shurflo wfp pump would do for those of us who don't use huge amounts of water.  I think they pump at about 80~100 PSI. That's the optimum pressure for my small processing system. About 600 litres per day is my normal usage. The 240v Streamline Booster Pumps that I use cost into the hundreds of pounds. The motors last me about 3 years, in which time I might go through about 2 replacement brass pumps. Each I think over £150 if I remember correctly. This is something I do need to look into in readiness.
Think you will find that the pump over heats and can only be used for so many muinits per hour , I have read about this somewhere might evan have been on hear . 

All my booster pumps are over 6 years old and so far nothing has needed replacing on any of them , famous last words !!!!! ??????

Think you will find that the pump over heats and can only be used for so many muinits per hour , I have read about this somewhere might evan have been on hear . 
Thanks Paul, I thought there was probably a reason I've not heard of them being used for processing. Makes perfect sense now you've pointed it out. I do need to look into what do for the next replacement. ?

Thanks Paul, I thought there was probably a reason I've not heard of them being used for processing. Makes perfect sense now you've pointed it out. I do need to look into what do for the next replacement. ?
It’s not something I have had but I know some 12 v pumps are on the market  but from different stuff I have read there always seams to be a problem with them or they don’t last long . 

Back